Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.15 Update with Grey X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5.16, and 5.15 appear to have broken the dash cam. I am having the same issue. Worked great before, now keep losing the cam, and have to remount the USB stick, and that sometimes doesn't work. Have a new 32GB usb 3.0. Tried reformatting, and no help. Again, worked great before, now it's crap.

In my case, reformatting the TeslaCam partition was enough to fix it. Just "fixing" the "disk" in Windows wasn't enough.

Also keep in mind if you had a small partition, you'll need more space since there's more cameras active, and if you had a small partition you may run out of space now.

Gray X is a sign of the usb being full. Per the manual 12/20/18 on TeslaCam Page 63:

"Note: Tesla recommends using a flash drive with as much available storage as possible; saving the most recent ten-minutes of video requires approximately 300 MB, and the hour- long video footage loop requires approximately 1.8 GB of free space. If yourflash drive does not have sufficient storage, an "X" displays on the dashcam icon and dashcam may be unable to save video files."

There should be a manual update soon I would guess to include the new features including Sentry Mode tht they have been working on. Until then just the Release Notes. I got notes on Sentry Cam with 5.4 (part of a subset early group) but when I installed 5.15 it wasn't included for some reason and just Dog Mode which came out at the same time on 5.4.

The X also seems to appear for those using Raspberry Pi as mentioned above in a link (Post #8) but not familiar with that. Seems partitioning helps in that case. While reading that link BTW "therealmarcone" mentioned a change from 5.4 to 5.15 -- of files being created differently. When I was on 5.4 and on my San Disk usb drive and set up the TeslaCam folder on my usb, using TeslaCam and Sentry Mode automatically created the "RecentClips" folder (where TeslaCam 1-hour buffer videos reside) and the "SavedClips" folder (where any Sentry Mode video reside) so this file structure wasn't a change for me between the two updates.

Last edited:
Found another usb flash drive and it works now, might have a fried usb flash drive, new one worked

Try using another flash drive

7788410A-F6EF-4132-92C2-1060F7CEB9C7.jpeg

I am getting the “x” with a 32gb Sandisk iXpand flash drive. Anyone else using this same flash drive. Wonder if there might be an issue with this specific model.

32GB is pretty small for 1 hour of buffered files (3 one-minute files for each minute--front and both sides) as well as any files for Sentry Mode (each file holds 10 minutes x 3 cameras). The 1 minute MPEG-4 movies are apx 30MB each.

I posted under a different thread here on the Model 3 forum of what some of my USB files looked like on my Mac when I first installed TeslaCam with Sentry Mode. Here's a link to it. Might answer some of your questions of what to expect if you are still waiting. San Disk came with the initial files/folders above the TeslaCam folder I created at the root level and I later erased them when I reformatted the flashdrive. I did that to see if reformatting would correct the green corruption issues seen (it didn't*), but on my Mac I haven't had any issues whatsoever needing any partitioning.

Model 3: DashCam

*haven't verified with Tesla yet but think I have a left repeater camera issue that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. A quick format in Windows 10 did not resolve the issue. I used diskpart and cleaned the drive and then reformatted it and that resolved the issue. There must be some meta data or something that stays on the drive that's confusing the dashcam software.

Wonder if the software update fried a lot of flash drives. Guess word of caution take out flash drives when there is a future software update.

And hopefully people are cognizant of the fact that they need to pause the recording BEFORE they try removing the drive so it shuts down recording properly or they could see corruption issues. Also detailed in the manual.

And hopefully people are cognizant
2019.5.x is now pickier about how the usb device is set up. The update broke how rapsberry pi based usb sticks but a solution has been identified. USB stick will likely need to be formatted the same way. See: Model 3 doesn't recognize the drive after 2019.5.x · Issue #119 · cimryan/teslausb

Thanks for the link, but using scripts is not in my comfort zone. I reformatted my 32gb stick using Win 10 and tried again, but no luck.