Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.4 bug - unable to use touchscreen when charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 updated to 5.4 the other day. The immediate bug I noticed was the inability to use the touchscreen when charging.

When charging, you get the charge screen where it has the time, etc in large font. In the past, if you simply touch the touchscreen, it goes back to regular mode. You can now use the touchscreen as normal. Maybe listen to some tunes, make a call, join a conference call, whatever.

Now, the charging screen will not dismiss when you touch it. It stays.

I know this because I almost always stay with the car when charging in the wild. I'll never be that guy that is taking up a space/plug while not charging :) So I rely on using the touchscreen during outside charging sessions.

I did find a workaround. Leave a door ajar, and it works as before. I hope Tesla fixes this regression because obviously leaving the door ajar is bad in the rain, cold, or hot weather.

I did find a workaround. Leave a door ajar, and it works as before. I hope Tesla fixes this regression because obviously leaving the door ajar is bad in the rain, cold, or hot weather.

Currently sitting in the rain in my 3 and have been running into this same issue for the last few months. I’ve reset infotainment multiple times since this started and similarly used the door ajar trick. It’s a bit frustrating and I’m not sure exactly why this is the case.

@nogasbiker Did you ever sort it on your 3?

Are you on version 2019.5.4 still? Or what version are you on? Because most people have been able to use the screen for entertainment, videos, games, etc while charging for a long time. If you can't, there's something fundamentally wrong with your car, and you'll need to get a bit more aggressive with the service center.

Nope on 2019.40.50.5 but it’s been around since 5.4.

I did find an obscure workaround after an hour of fiddling.

• With the door open, lock the car
  • Close the door, screen will turn off
  • Press the brake and screen turns back on and is useable.
Hopefully this helps someone else

Thank you!!! This trick worked for me. Sad to see this is still a glitch as I picked up my Y just 4 days ago.

Are you guys clicking on the 'X' on the upper left hand corner of the charging screen? Touching the screen is not enough, but clicking on the 'X' closes it for me, and I can watch Netflix, listen to music, etc. By the way, I like to walk around for 10 minutes or so after I connect the car, then I go to the bathroom. I'm always in the car when charging is finished. It's better to move around, to allow blood to flow, be more alert, and have less fatigue :). If not raining, or course.