Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Navigate on Autopilot Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Just got 2019.8.3 last night on my Model 3. I've not been a fan of NoA or HW2+ in general. In past releases, I was delaying or cancelling majority of lane change requests. And then dealing with a lot of phantom braking and hesitation. But man, have to say, 2019.8.3 is pretty darn good. Did a 20 minute drive twice (once in each direction) with moderate traffic and a complex interchange (change lanes too early and you deal with several onramps merging into you; change lanes too late and you'll have a hard time with people letting you in). Lane change requests were perfect. No dangerous behavior. Very smooth. Overall, it's now better than some people I know. Might even be better than the bottom 25-33% of drivers which is a big step forward from before where I'd say it was previously unusable on this route. Well done AP team!

Is there a way to modify the route it generates? The maps generate a route which, although valid, is not what locals do and results in an unsupported NoA manuever (crossing two lanes in a short distance).

Currently, no. Perhaps when (if ever) we get waypoint capability in the navigation we could specify a more customized route.

Reactions: BBone
Couple of questions.

Is 2019.8.3 an early access release? I don't believe so, but it's definitely not a wide release yet.

How well did NoA do on exits that are just after the right lane ends on another exit before hand (less than .5miles). With the releases I've tried it's always wanted me to change lanes into the lane I knew was going to go off with the other exit. Where it should have had me stay in the second lane to the right.

Couple of questions.

Is 2019.8.3 an early access release? I don't believe so, but it's definitely not a wide release yet.

How well did NoA do on exits that are just after the right lane ends on another exit before hand (less than .5miles). With the releases I've tried it's always wanted me to change lanes into the lane I knew was going to go off with the other exit. Where it should have had me stay in the second lane to the right.

2019.8.3 is a regular release. Haven’t had issues with it getting into the wrong lane in recent releases but I do remember the initial release of NoA it did do as you described, wanting to get into a lane it didn’t realize was a forced exit.

Is there a way to modify the route it generates? The maps generate a route which, although valid, is not what locals do and results in an unsupported NoA manuever (crossing two lanes in a short distance).

Nope

Right now the lack of route options is only an annoying issue, but it's going to be a serious issue with NoA with city driving goes live.

An example of being annoying, and eventually a real problem with NoA.

Every day that I go to work I use the nav to tell me how long it will take, and I use this info to let me know if I should go another way. But, it gives me a route that makes no sense as it would require making a left turn on a busy undivided highway. There is no need to do this as there is a more straight forwards option of staying on the road that has the stop light to get onto the other road. I have no idea why it even suggests the other one as that's not any faster.

The route it suggests I don't ever want. In fact I'd love a "this route suggestion makes no sense and never to show me this again" trash button.

At the very least it should do what google does where it shows multiple route options with estimated times of each one.

Have you noticed an improvement in how it handles auto lane changes? I’m on 2019.5.15 and yesterday it was bouncing back and forth between the lane it was trying to change in to. Had to cancel it and eventually do it myself. This happened about three times during a 45 minute drive.

Reactions: derkan
Arggggh… I suspect having the V3 supercharger access courtesy of 2019.7.11 means I'm not getting the fun releases like this until the V3 supercharger access goes into the main release.

Given that I have no reason to be going to Fremont any time soon, I'd much rather have improved NoA and not have the car randomly crap its pants and slam on the brakes during my commute 38 times.

Reactions: runham
Have you noticed an improvement in how it handles auto lane changes? I’m on 2019.5.15 and yesterday it was bouncing back and forth between the lane it was trying to change in to. Had to cancel it and eventually do it myself. This happened about three times during a 45 minute drive.

Yes. That’s why I hated the previous NoA releases. But 2019.8.3 seems way better in my admittedly limited testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deraillor
Nope

Right now the lack of route options is only an annoying issue, but it's going to be a serious issue with NoA with city driving goes live.

Every day that I go to work I use the nav to tell me how long it will take, and I use this info to let me know if I should go another way. But, it gives me a route that makes no sense as it would require making a left turn on a busy undivided highway. There is no need to do this as there is a more straight forwards option of staying on the road that has the stop light to get onto the other road. I have no idea why it even suggests the other one as that's not any faster.

The route it suggests I don't ever want. In fact I'd love a "this route suggestion makes no sense and never to show me this again" trash button.

At the very least it should do what google does where it shows multiple route options with estimated times of each one.
Tesla isn’t the only Nav with this problem. I’ve found Waze to be a big fan of suggesting difficult to impossible left turns onto busy roads.

I’m on 2019.5.15 as well and had the exact same issue with NoA today. Also did something which I hadn’t experienced with older FW. When the lane change prompt came on and I turned on my right turn signal, the car didn’t do anything. There was no surrounding traffic so I couldn’t understand what happened. Had to cancel NoA and that’s when the auto lane change worked. Strange.

Nope

Very true. The route the model 3 decides on is basically incoherent. Mine will suggest round about ways involving u-turns and random side streets without any traffic need.

Reactions: KenF
It almost seems like Tesla isn't actually making any improvements to AP in the small releases. I think a lot of it is placebo. If they were, I don't think you'd notice such a stark difference in 8.3.

I suppose they build up the models over a few months, and then release those during the major changes. Last major change to AP behavior was NoA in 2018.42. I remember since then the car has been a lot better about not darting to exits when you're in right lanes, and better merge behavior. Looks like 2019.8.3 will be the next big one. I'm excited!

Very true. The route the model 3 decides on is basically incoherent. Mine will suggest round about ways involving u-turns and random side streets without any traffic need.
I see the same thing. Tesla’s navigation will frequently direct me to make a u-turn onto a busy street when driving another 50-100 feet would eliminate the need for the u-turn.

It’s reached the point where I wish we had a navigation setting to disable u-turns.

I got 2019.8.3 on Saturday, and on Sunday was doing an auto lane change and it did a erratic return to original lane as the following conditions occurred.

CA-210 W FWY near Pasadena

1 - Truck was in right lane in front of me, sedan was in right lane behind me.
2 - Initiate auto lane change to the right and my cars starts merging to right lane.
3 - Truck begins merging to the left lane (my original lane).
4 - Autopilot fritzes, my car suddenly begins following truck merging to left lane in front of me and cancels the auto lane change and attempts to following it (sudden left jerk, since I'm doing a right lane change) scaring my dog and my wife.
5- I took control and continued the right lane change while everyone was probably WTF next to me (this has probably happened a dozen times as I correct autopilot mistakes).