Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Stronger Regen Over 30 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the 2019.8.3 upgrade today, and immediately noticed stronger regen at speeds over 30 MPH. I have a LR AWD (non-performance), and in all the prior versions, the regen at speeds over 30 MPH was very mild, and then it would get much stronger as the speed decreased below 30 MPH. The regen is now significantly stronger, and seems more linear in response to the throttle and as the car gets to sub 30 MPH. I like this much better. Anyone else?

Might also be the weather.... this what I’ve found affects it more than anything.
No, it's definitely not the weather. I've experienced many warm days since purchasing the car in November of last year, and the regen never worked like it did today after the 8.3 update. In fact, I drove the car this afternoon, before the update, when it was about 5 degrees warmer than when I drove it after the update, and the increased regen was immediately apparent. The difference was very distinct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoomit
No, it's definitely not the weather. I've experienced many warm days since purchasing the car in November of last year, and the regen never worked like it did today after the 8.3 update. In fact, I drove the car this afternoon, before the update, when it was about 5 degrees warmer than when I drove it after the update, and the increased regen was immediately apparent. The difference was very distinct.
I'm almost positive it's the weather, you've just never experienced the true potential of regen, since even November is quite chilly for the battery.

I'm starting to see the regen coming back as well up here in the north.

Which feels very different from having no dots on the regen meter in the cold after the battery has warmed up (the regen just doesn't feel as aggressive).

• Disagree
Reactions: navguy12 and dusdev
I'm almost positive it's the weather, you've just never experienced the true potential of regen, since even November is quite chilly for the battery.

Which feels very different from having no dots on the regen meter in the cold after the battery has warmed up (the regen just doesn't feel as aggressive).

We had the first taste of spring on the west coast and regen is so much stronger, you don't realize how long its been since you have had full regen. You don't really notice the loss of regen as it gets cold but you sure notice when it gets warm. Its good and bad though because my wife is getting a little motion sick as a passenger again.

Reactions: jlghertner
My lr awd built in Oct or Nov of 18 has always had high regen at high-speed decell. So it is likely a nuance of an older build or your imagination.:)
My car is a November 2018 build. The difference is not subtle, and it is not my imagination. What is wrong with you people that you need to be insulting? It may be possible that there was something different about my particular car, but it is surprising that I never had significant regen with any of the prior software releases. My car has had 4 or 5 software updates since I picked it up last year, and it wasn't until this 2019.8.3 version that I had substantial amounts of regen above 30 MPH.

We had the first taste of spring on the west coast and regen is so much stronger, you don't realize how long its been since you have had full regen. You don't really notice the loss of regen as it gets cold but you sure notice when it gets warm. Its good and bad though because my wife is getting a little motion sick as a passenger again.

Did you two not read my prior post regarding this? It is NOT the weather or the temperature that caused the change I experienced. Your comments also make no sense, since if it were really a matter of the temperature, my car would not have had strong regen at any speed, yet the regen has always been strong below 30 MPH, EXCEPT for when it is very cold.

I KNOW what it is like to have no or limited regen due to the temperature. I have experienced this many times in my car. That is NOT what I'm talking about. Sigh.

I'm looking forward to this update. Back in the fall after a firmware update, the regen on my LR AWD decreased to perhaps 10-25% of what it was prior to the update. The weather conditions were the same and I was still on the OEM all-seasons tires. I mentioned this on the forums and was flamed that the "issue only affects RWD" and that it was because of "winter tires".

Evidently it did affect my vehicle (AWD) and it wasn't winter tires. During the winter there was an update to address the "winter tire" issue, and my regen did get a bit better (probably back up to 50-60% of what it was). The weather is a bit warmer and I'd say it has never 'recovered' to the original firmware regen level.

So perhaps they've addressed the original issue now. In fact someone on the Canadian forum even measured the decrease regen using an accelerometer.

When I first got the firmware update that decreased the regen significantly, its affects were pretty clear as I almost blew right through a red light on my commute. I had that light timed perfects (same route every day) and I knew exactly where to ease the pedal to come to a almost a complete stop when travelling around 65 km/h. The day after the update I was still at around 30 km/h at the intersection and had to slam my brakes wondering what-the-sugar was happening.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: lukex4 and Lobstahz
My car is a November 2018 build. The difference is not subtle, and it is not my imagination. What is wrong with you people that you need to be insulting? It may be possible that there was something different about my particular car, but it is surprising that I never had significant regen with any of the prior software releases. My car has had 4 or 5 software updates since I picked it up last year, and it wasn't until this 2019.8.3 version that I had substantial amounts of regen above 30 MPH.

For some reason on this forum there is a huge backlash over decreased regen issues. Everyone seems blames the weather, battery temperature, or winter tires.

I certainly believe you that there is a non-weather related effect and as I said I'm looking forward to getting this update and maybe my regen back up to what it was in October. I'll guess that when you picked up your car in Nov it probably had the firmware which I was updated to that decreased my regen. I don't remember the versions or the dates exactly but I could probably dig them up.

I assure you it was not my intention to try to be insulting. I was looking at the regen on my car and not finding the same experience you have with your car. I was just trying to find a reason why you found what you did. When I saw your join date I assumed you had an early production car. My error, my mistake.
I'm looking forward to the increased braking you talk about.

What is wrong with you people that you need to be insulting?

What part of the post was insulting? He did add a smiley at the end- was not accusing you of anything.

I noticed regen much stronger yesterday as well, but I haven't been upgraded yet. I do see you mention temperature was less with more regen, but it depends on battery temp, not ambient temp. Sadly, we don't have access to that metric at the moment.

Reactions: davedavedave
I assure you it was not my intention to try to be insulting. I was looking at the regen on my car and not finding the same experience you have with your car. I was just trying to find a reason why you found what you did. When I saw your join date I assumed you had an early production car. My error, my mistake.
I'm looking forward to the increased braking you talk about.
No problem. I hope that the difference isn't just something peculiar to my car, and that the change is applicable to yours as well.

Just installed the 2019.8.3 upgrade today, and immediately noticed stronger regen at speeds over 30 MPH. I have a LR AWD (non-performance), and in all the prior versions, the regen at speeds over 30 MPH was very mild, and then it would get much stronger as the speed decreased below 30 MPH. The regen is now significantly stronger, and seems more linear in response to the throttle and as the car gets to sub 30 MPH. I like this much better. Anyone else?

What version were you on prior to 2019.8.3?

What version were you on prior to 2019.8.3?
I was on version 2019.5.15. I've had 4 or 5 updates since picking my car up in November of 2018, and this is the first time I've noticed any change in the regen behavior.

Also, my car does seem to have a little more power, but the difference is small. The change in the regen behavior was not small; it's a night and day difference compared to the way the car was previously over 30 MPH.

What part of the post was insulting? He did add a smiley at the end- was not accusing you of anything.

I noticed regen much stronger yesterday as well, but I haven't been upgraded yet. I do see you mention temperature was less with more regen, but it depends on battery temp, not ambient temp. Sadly, we don't have access to that metric at the moment.
Here's the sequence of events yesterday with regard to driving my car.

< 3:00pm - Car parked in unheated garage attached to house, plugged in to charge
3:00pm to 4:30pm - Ran a few errands, driving distance about 20 miles, temperature 59 degrees, minimal regen over 30 MPH
4:30pm to 8:30pm - Car in garage, not plugged in to charge, 2019.8.3 update installed about 6:00pm
8:30pm to 8:50pm - Drove 15 miles, temperature 48 degrees, immediately noticed much stronger regen over 30 MPH
8:50pm to 9:10pm - Parked in outdoor parking lot, temperature 47 degrees
9:10pm to 9:30pm - Drove 15 miles back home, temperature 45 degrees, stronger regen still apparent

So when do you think the battery was likely to be cooler or warmer in my travels yesterday? Also, my car has always displayed a regen limited message when it is cold, and the regen below 30 MPH has been much less when this occurred.

Here's the sequence of events yesterday with regard to driving my car.

< 3:00pm - Car parked in unheated garage attached to house, plugged in to charge
3:00pm to 4:30pm - Ran a few errands, driving distance about 20 miles, temperature 59 degrees, minimal regen over 30 MPH
4:30pm to 8:30pm - Car in garage, not plugged in to charge, 2019.8.3 update installed about 6:00pm
8:30pm to 8:50pm - Drove 15 miles, temperature 48 degrees, immediately noticed much stronger regen over 30 MPH
8:50pm to 9:10pm - Parked in outdoor parking lot, temperature 47 degrees
9:10pm to 9:30pm - Drove 15 miles back home, temperature 45 degrees, stronger regen still apparent

So when do you think the battery was likely to be cooler or warmer in my travels yesterday? Also, my car has always displayed a regen limited message when it is cold, and the regen below 30 MPH has been much less when this occurred.
Thanks for the breakdown of events, and also apologies for not entirely understanding your situation... knowing this, I can't wait to see how much better regen can get for me with that update you got. Also curious on whether you're still on winter tires.

Reactions: davedavedave
Are you on winter tires? They had big problems with regen above 30 MPH being almost non-existent. Some of which was recovered with firmware changes. Maybe 8.3 is another step to fixing that.
I'm currently on winter tires, but I ran the car on the stock all seasons for about 3 weeks when I got the car before switching to the winter tires and noticed no difference in regen behavior when I made the switch.

I've heard this before about firmware changes supposedly being made to improve regen with winter tires, but I've never seen anything official from Tesla to this effect. Honestly, the idea that the car could detect a different type of tire and adjust regen based on that seems very questionable to me. If it really were possible, why reduce regen when going from all seasons to winter tires in winter? The winter tires grip better in winter than all seasons.