Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.5 Auto Lane Change Initiation Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the idea the car will change lanes without needing to confirm first. In execution, though, it is bad right now. The turn signal comes on too early and the car sits in the same lane while taking an extra second or two (though it feels like forever) before changing lanes. I have it set to mad max. The early signal and wait is too annoying so I'm back to flicking the stalk for confirmation. I will trade the confirmation for the faster reaction of the lane change and less time with the turn signal on. Now I do love that I can set Navigate on Autopilot to come on automatically. I assume Tesla had to build in this extra time and hopefully will reduce it later. Anybody else annoyed with this?

And please where can I sign a release to not have to grab the wheel at all.

Love, love, love AP as a whole and I am sure over time it will only get better.

Reactions: jrad6515
This morning was my first extensive use of no-confirmation NoA. Wow, I am extremely impressed. It worked extremely well. Alternated between passing lane and middle lane pretty much the way I would have done myself. Awesome does not begin to describe it.

It did phantom brake for a low overpass, which has not happened in almost two years! And my wife complained that it phantom braked on her while cresting a hill. No good. But I am sure it will be addressed.

I love the idea the car will change lanes without needing to confirm first. In execution, though, it is bad right now. The turn signal comes on too early and the car sits in the same lane while taking an extra second or two (though it feels like forever) before changing lanes. I have it set to mad max. The early signal and wait is too annoying so I'm back to flicking the stalk for confirmation. I will trade the confirmation for the faster reaction of the lane change and less time with the turn signal on. Now I do love that I can set Navigate on Autopilot to come on automatically. I assume Tesla had to build in this extra time and hopefully will reduce it later. Anybody else annoyed with this?

And please where can I sign a release to not have to grab the wheel at all.

Love, love, love AP as a whole and I am sure over time it will only get better.

Hmm, I haven't really noticed that. If anything, I feel like the car waits too long to signal, and has then missed it's opportunity. Part of the reason it is signaling but not moving could be that it's not detecting your hand on the wheel. It won't do anything until it does.

Believe me I am paying attention. My hands are ready, my foot perched above the pedals and I look in the oncoming lane before every pass. You have to pay attention. I struggle looking down at my phone while in FSD. I would like to not have to keep grabbing the wheel every so often, but I get why they require it.

I struggle looking down at my phone while in FSD. I would like to not have to keep grabbing the wheel every so often, but I get why they require it.

Hmm. What is this FSD you speak of?

This may be an unexpected (expected?) downside of repackaging some of the EAP features into the “FSD” package. Now people think that Nav On AP is FSD...

All of these features are level 2, and personally I would recommend that you look down at your phone while using NoA no more than you do when driving a 1977 Datsun 710.

That half second to 1 second it takes to get your hands on the wheel for evasive action at 70mph is 50-100ft. Could make all the difference in determining whether an accident is fatal.

Last edited: