Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S 100D a Raven ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you go to the software tab you should have a link for "additional vehicle information. It will pop up a screen showing details for autopilot computer, infotainment processor, etc. I expect you will see entries for front and rear motor type. If both front and rear motors show as induction, then you do not have a Raven. If it's a Raven model, then the front motor should be listed as as something like permanent magnet.

For reference, this is what shows for my mid-2016 MS90D which would be same I expect for a Pre-Raven 2019:
motor type front: Induction
motor type rear: Induction small (note: I do not have a P model; I expect a P version would say Induction Large)

Reactions: mswlogo
Upvote 0
What range does it have on full charge.
I think build date after March or April should be Raven.
360 Range
If you go to the software tab you should have a link for "additional vehicle information. It will pop up a screen showing details for autopilot computer, infotainment processor, etc. I expect you will see entries for front and rear motor type. If both front and rear motors show as induction, then you do not have a Raven. If it's a Raven model, then the front motor should be listed as as something like permanent magnet.

For reference, this is what shows for my mid-2016 MS90D which would be same I expect for a Pre-Raven 2019:
motor type front: Induction
motor type rear: Induction small (note: I do not have a P model; I expect a P version would say Induction Large)
you are onto something — front is permanent magnet rear is induction small.

Reactions: mswlogo
Upvote 0
Are the batteries on the Raven "Long Range" the same as on the 100D?
Also, am I correct that the introduction of the raven models was simultaneously the end of the sunroof as an option? I know there are cars for sale with sunroofs at least into the 2018 model year but not sure after that....

Upvote 0
Are the batteries on the Raven "Long Range" the same as on the 100D?
Also, am I correct that the introduction of the raven models was simultaneously the end of the sunroof as an option? I know there are cars for sale with sunroofs at least into the 2018 model year but not sure after that....
I believe the Raven Long Range + has slightly different battery chemistry since it has a range of 640kms compared to the 590? of the 100D.

Edit: I am not sure if a "Long Range" existed for the pre refresh cars, I am assuming it was only the Long Range + that existed

Reactions: Xeux
Upvote 0
I believe the Raven Long Range + has slightly different battery chemistry since it has a range of 640kms compared to the 590? of the 100D.

Edit: I am not sure if a "Long Range" existed for the pre refresh cars, I am assuming it was only the Long Range + that existed
I think there was a "Long Range" model. I say that because by coincidence I saw some 2019 "Long Range" cars listed on the Tesla used car web site today. The listed range is 373 mi (596 km). Since that is different from what you are quoting, we may be talking about different models. The 2018 100D models listed are showing a range of 335 mi (536 mi).

The longer range for the Raven models should be at least partly because of the change to more efficient motors, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've done a lot of digging into this over the past few weeks as part of my own Raven quest. AFAIK the battery is indeed different - there are old threads on this, I can't from memory recall which revision (E, maybe?) came with the start of Raven production. Plus the adaptive suspension, and a few other tweaks. Then at some point during LR+ production, more tweaks to the seats, rear motor and other things I'm forgetting.

Tesla further muddies the waters by referring to used 100D (ie pre-Raven) cars as "100D Long Range", which is not what they were known as when sold.

Here is a pre-Raven 100D, now referred to as "100D Long Range" - range 335 miles
This is a Raven Long Range - range 373 miles

Unfortunately they don't have an LR+ for sale currently to use as an illustration, but I think on 19s they claim it has 404 miles of range?

J

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Upvote 0
Yeah, there was like 4 Revisions of the Raven battery. 404 miles range sounds about right for an S LR+. That last jump to + was probably the biggest jump in range. It’s very close to todays Refresh range on S. And BETTER than refresh on X.

Upvote 0
Yeah, there was like 4 Revisions of the Raven battery. 404 miles range sounds about right for an S LR+. That last jump to + was probably the biggest jump in range. It’s very close to todays Refresh range on S. And BETTER than refresh on X.
Realize that the revisions to range are not necessarily revisions to the battery, but revisions to motors and system control that result in lower Wh/mi energy use which directly translates into longer range for a fixed energy storage.

Upvote 0
Realize that the revisions to range are not necessarily revisions to the battery, but revisions to motors and system control that result in lower Wh/mi energy use which directly translates into longer range for a fixed energy storage.
These were part number revisions on the battery pack itself. There was probably other revisions in other parts of the car corresponding to the battery revisions as well. But rev on the battery was a strong indicator of what you’d get for range. The battery revision was also easy to see.

Upvote 0
Was the LR+ available throughout the raven production run? or only for some portion of it? I do not think i have ever seen one advertised as such.
Is there badging to indicate the "+"?
I can't remember what exact years the LR+ was available for, it was towards the end of the run of the Raven's so 2020-2021 model years. There is no extra badging etc when comparing to a LR however the IC and MCU will both say "Long Range Plus"

• Helpful
Upvote 0
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Both the sunroof and the rear-facing seat options were removed in 2018. There are a few cars produced after that point that contain those items as off-menu options.

Case in point is my 2019 100D (January build) which has both the sunroof and the rear-facing seats.

• Informative
Upvote 0