Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 SR+ nearly as dead as a dead thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned home this morning after a short journey and on parking got lots of error messages on the screen BMS_a151, VCFRONT_a192, BMS_a35 basically telling me something was up and I shouldn't drive. Things went rapidly downhill after that to the point that I can't wind the driver's window up after opening the door (window drops on open, then on door closing slowly grinds up to not quite closed and then stops).

Couple of questions (OK a few):

1) How can I get the window up ? (I can do it when sitting in the car but on exit it won't close fully - I appreciate I probably *could* use the manual door release to stop it dropping but I'm reluctant to given the possibility of the window shattering)
2) Is it possible this is as simple as a 12V battery (in which case I could replace it myself) ?
3) I've booked it in through the app - soonest appointment was for Friday (this is Monday) - the chatbot isn't answering my questions well - it's telling me if I need recovery to call roadside assistance - I don't need recovery but the car won't drive to the service centre - will the SC organise this or do I need to call roadside assistance myself ?
4) App appointment says a loan car will be provided while the car is being serviced - does that mean from today or Friday ?

Thanks !

Returned home this morning after a short journey and on parking got lots of error messages on the screen BMS_a151, VCFRONT_a192, BMS_a35 basically telling me something was up and I shouldn't drive. Things went rapidly downhill after that to the point that I can't wind the driver's window up after opening the door (window drops on open, then on door closing slowly grinds up to not quite closed and then stops).

Couple of questions (OK a few):

1) How can I get the window up ? (I can do it when sitting in the car but on exit it won't close fully - I appreciate I probably *could* use the manual door release to stop it dropping but I'm reluctant to given the possibility of the window shattering)
2) Is it possible this is as simple as a 12V battery (in which case I could replace it myself) ?
3) I've booked it in through the app - soonest appointment was for Friday (this is Monday) - the chatbot isn't answering my questions well - it's telling me if I need recovery to call roadside assistance - I don't need recovery but the car won't drive to the service centre - will the SC organise this or do I need to call roadside assistance myself ?
4) App appointment says a loan car will be provided while the car is being serviced - does that mean from today or Friday ?

Thanks !
yes.

try to call customer services for the roadside assistance. tell them that car is not drivable. it moves the needle a bit.

Reactions: M3noob
Thanks for the replies - the boot thing might have been the best but unfortunately I can’t even get in the thing now !

I phoned them and a tow truck is arriving tomorrow (I could have had it today but I had too much going on). They think it might be the main battery and have said they will provide a hire car - though I don’t know how that works - anyone know ?

If the main battery then it will be a few weeks to repair.

I had a hire car a few weeks ago. They give you a key fob and pin to drive. I couldn’t add my car to the app or any other fobs so had to use the key as normal. It was ok for what it was and the length of time I had it though. My replacement battery is a pile of crap. 10% less range than my other had and from a car with double the mileage. I won’t make it home in one go in the winter with this thing so it’s going back one way or another.

Hire car process was very simple though. 👍🏻

I had a hire car a few weeks ago. They give you a key fob and pin to drive. I couldn’t add my car to the app or any other fobs so had to use the key as normal. It was ok for what it was and the length of time I had it though. My replacement battery is a pile of crap. 10% less range than my other had and from a car with double the mileage. I won’t make it home in one go in the winter with this thing so it’s going back one way or another.

Hire car process was very simple though. 👍🏻
How long did it take them to sort the hire car out ? They called yesterday and said they'd be back in touch but havent been.

OK so far so good with Tesla - car was trucked out this morning, hire car arrived this afternoon (merc C class). Luckily the recovery firm knew their stuff and were able to pop the frunk and give a little charge to the 12v battery which allowed them to put it in tow mode to get it on the truck.

Thanks for the tips on excess - some of it was scary £500 per incident even if not my fault. Despite years of self training (and finding cheaper alternatives !) I folded on the £6 a day excess waiver out of sheer laziness - the rental is for 3 days, if it goes longer then I may reconsider !

OK so far so good with Tesla - car was trucked out this morning, hire car arrived this afternoon (merc C class). Luckily the recovery firm knew their stuff and were able to pop the frunk and give a little charge to the 12v battery which allowed them to put it in tow mode to get it on the truck.

Thanks for the tips on excess - some of it was scary £500 per incident even if not my fault. Despite years of self training (and finding cheaper alternatives !) I folded on the £6 a day excess waiver out of sheer laziness - the rental is for 3 days, if it goes longer then I may reconsider !
I carry a little MN21 12V battery in my pocket for frunk popping. Inside the frunk I keep a 12V jump starter.

And in the boot of my 3 year old M3, I carry a 12V battery on long trips to avoid the pain of rainy Sunday nights in back-of-beyond France waiting for recovery;-)

And a Road Hero spare ;-)

For anyone interested it was as simple as the heater shorting (pre heat pump car). Not quite sure how that affected the car - I thought Model 3s had solid state fuses that protected from this kind of thing.
Consider yourself lucky it didn't need replacing. I've been driving about in a loaner for 2 months while mine is sat doing nothing at the service centre, waiting for news on availability of the PTC heater.

Consider yourself lucky it didn't need replacing. I've been driving about in a loaner for 2 months while mine is sat doing nothing at the service centre, waiting for news on availability of the PTC heater.
They replaced : HVAC PTC SERVICE AASY and PTC HEATER DUAL ZONE, the first on the invoice was £10+VAT, the second £440+VAT (for a heater !), but all done under warranty.

They replaced : HVAC PTC SERVICE AASY and PTC HEATER DUAL ZONE, the first on the invoice was £10+VAT, the second £440+VAT (for a heater !), but all done under warranty.
As well as heating the cabin it also heats the battery pack via the “Superbottle” which was the forerunner of the “Octovalve” that the heat pump cars use. I’m presuming that it’s therefore a fairly beefy item in terms of output… it certainly should be at that price!

I was 1500 miles (2-3 weeks of driving) over my warranty mileage 😭 Lucky they even have me a loaner, really. Now been told it'll be another month, at least, before they know any more.