Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.1 and intermittent wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In every Model S I've owned the automatic "rain sensing" wipers have always been a joke and a tremendous source of frustration for something as important to safety as windshield wipers from a company who puts safety so high on a pedestal... allegedly.

• Love
Reactions: pabla
Mine work well, too, on my wife's 3, my old S, and my new S, for a cumulative 200,000 miles/ 8 years. Drove yesterday in light misty showers, and they'd pause after a wipe, then a second later sweep again, just as I would if I were doing it manually. I have never had any issues with the Tesla wipers. I can't understand what you're complaining about.

Up until yesterday, I've been among the lucky tesla owners with good wiper behavior (looking at you, roblab). But yesterday they were off to the races in very light rain. Perhaps a fluke? Will see. Probably won't rain around here until October now anyway.

I live in WA state, in the rain shadow of the Olympics, so very light rain is common during the winter. My wipers invariably start out acting ok, but within a few minutes ratchet up to very-high (wack wack wack) wiper speed. This - in a situation where a wipe every 30 seconds or a minute would be appropriate.

mine are the worst of any car. Sometimes they work smoothly, oftentimes if they are already on the intermittent setting, I have to turn them to the low speed setting first, THEN back to intermittent for the wipers to start. When I do that, sometimes the wipers will stop mid wipe across the windshield..then I have to repeat the process, and then maybe the intermittent process will actually start. working.

Similar to @IslandHydro , living in WA I give my wipers a workout. My original MS (2014, pre-Autopilot) the auto-wipers worked great. No complaints. My AP2.0 MX? Complete garbage...especially at night. Don't turn on when they need to. Run too fast in a drizzle. Won't turn off when it's dry. I have a few buddies on a group chat and we all have MXs in the PNW...we all have the auto-wipers turned off...useless.

• Informative
Reactions: IslandHydro