Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11 Rolling Out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Works great! It works with both Autosteer and just cruise control. It's funny, you still get the "Cruise control will not brake" warning, but it does brake for traffic signals and stop signs. 500 feet from the light/sign it will warn you. If it's a green light, tap the gas and it will roll through it. if it's red, you have to wait till it's green to tap the gas and go. If it's a stop sign, tap the gas after it stops and it will go again.

Accelerator. Teslas have no gas pedal.

I don't intend to be an antagonist, but we have an opportunity to change the language. And we should.

Gas is a toxic poison that EVs are helping us transition away from, so perpetuating that nomenclature in the vocabulary of EVs does a disservice.

In the same way, it's nice to see the community using Watts. It would be pretty nonsensical to talk about the horsepower at which our vehicles charge. Perhaps it made sense 100 years ago when comparing the motorized car to its predecessor the horse, but now that we're two generations of mobility removed from horses, we no longer need horses as a reference point.

Let's try to change the vocabulary.

Accelerator. Teslas have no gas pedal.

I don't intend to be an antagonist, but we have an opportunity to change the language. And we should.

Gas is a toxic poison that EVs are helping us transition away from, so perpetuating that nomenclature in the vocabulary of EVs does a disservice.

In the same way, it's nice to see the community using Watts. It would be pretty nonsensical to talk about the horsepower at which our vehicles charge. Perhaps it made sense 100 years ago when comparing the motorized car to its predecessor the horse, but now that we're two generations of mobility removed from horses, we no longer need horses as a reference point.

Let's try to change the vocabulary.

Huh? Electric motor power is still measured by horsepower, it has to do with output, not charging. You don't fill the tank of an ICE car with horses either.

Oh, and gas is not toxic, gasoline is.

Huh? Electric motor power is still measured by horsepower, it has to do with output, not charging. You don't fill the tank of an ICE car with horses either.

Oh, and gas is not toxic, gasoline is.

I'm suggesting we should not measure electric motor power using horsepower. Horsepower and Watts measure the same thing: an amount of energy per unit time. In the case of Watts, it's a rather straight-forward Joules per second. In the case of horsepower, it's the number of horses it would take to lift an arbitrary weight to an arbitrary height per second. Watts just seems more straight-forward and relatable to me, but that's obviously subjective.

Whether a battery is charging or discharging, we are measuring energy over time. Just as we could measure the number of horsepower with which we are removing energy from the battery, we could likewise use horsepower to measure the rate that we add energy to the battery. But this seems nonsensical to me. We should use Watts in both cases, not jump back and forth between different units of the same measurement depending whether energy is moving into or out of the battery. Horses are no longer a useful reference point, so let's omit that one.

As the original author I quoted used the slang term "gas" to refer to the accelerator pedal, I used the same slang term for clarity. Obviously I meant gasoline.

I'm suggesting we should not measure electric motor power using horsepower. Horsepower and Watts measure the same thing: an amount of energy per unit time. In the case of Watts, it's a rather straight-forward Joules per second. In the case of horsepower, it's the number of horses it would take to lift an arbitrary weight to an arbitrary height per second. Watts just seems more straight-forward and relatable to me, but that's obviously subjective.

Whether a battery is charging or discharging, we are measuring energy over time. Just as we could measure the number of horsepower with which we are removing energy from the battery, we could likewise use horsepower to measure the rate that we add energy to the battery. But this seems nonsensical to me. We should use Watts in both cases, not jump back and forth between different units of the same measurement depending whether energy is moving into or out of the battery. Horses are no longer a useful reference point, so let's omit that one.

As the original author I quoted used the slang term "gas" to refer to the accelerator pedal, I used the same slang term for clarity. Obviously I meant gasoline.

The problem in using watts to state the output of the motor gets confusing (as your original example illustrated). When you are referring to power of which the car charges - that is electrical energy - and the rate of which the car can charge has to do with the voltage and the built in charger of the car (for Levels 1 & 2) or the DC charging unit for Level 3.

When referring to the power the car outputs, that is mechanical (motion) energy as electric motors convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. While EV motors are multiple times more efficient than an I.C. engine, there is still a loss converting electrical energy to mechanical energy.

Using watts for both electrical input and mechanical output gets confusing (especially considering how many people get confused between watt and watt hour). While there is a correlation between mechanical watt and horsepower, it is easier to use horsepower to avoid confusion. [We will ignore the difference of horsepower at the motor vs at the wheel].

As far as gas vs gasoline, I was just busting your chops and you were doing the same to @Nakk.

Reactions: Klau2
Assume they are releasing it in waves. I’m on 12.10 and checking teslafi multiple times a day to see if others are getting it.
I’ve had 12.11 since Saturday but haven’t driven with it much until today. It recognizes and will stop at every stop sign and traffic light (even green lights) and requires confirmation (push down right stalk or tap accelerator) if you don’t want it to stop. ONE BIG NEGATIVE: Ever since 12.10 and 12.11 the doors won’t unlock unless my paired iPhone 8 is out of my pocket, awake AND the Tesla app is open. Prior to this the phone could be in my pocket and asleep and it unlocked 100% of the time ☹️

I’ve had 12.11 since Saturday but haven’t driven with it much until today. It recognizes and will stop at every stop sign and traffic light (even green lights) and requires confirmation (push down right stalk or tap accelerator) if you don’t want it to stop. ONE BIG NEGATIVE: Ever since 12.10 and 12.11 the doors won’t unlock unless my paired iPhone 8 is out of my pocket, awake AND the Tesla app is open. Prior to this the phone could be in my pocket and asleep and it unlocked 100% of the time ☹️

Hrm. I don't have this problem on 12.10.

Hrm. I don't have this problem on 12.10.
I actually can’t remember if it started with 12.10 or 12.11. They were back to back updated days apart and haven’t been driving much because of COVID. Anyway it’s an issue now...

Maybe that's why 12.11 stopped.
There is now a 12.11.1. maybe that's fixing this problem. Although it was a ME that got it.