Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24 details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess cabin camera driver monitoring is now seen as having potential advantages over hanging weights on the steering wheel. Wonder if they can retro fit on MS if it makes prime time?

Internal cam can’t see steering wheel it seems

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1249145943401824256?s=21

CCA80034-824F-460C-8B6C-094AE34DA349.jpeg

I guess cabin camera driver monitoring is now seen as having potential advantages over hanging weights on the steering wheel. Wonder if they can retro fit on MS if it makes prime time?

Have they given some indication that the 1 minute or less steering wheel checks would go away with this update? I didn’t get that impression. Or are we talking about two different things.

Have they given some indication that the 1 minute or less steering wheel checks would go away with this update? I didn’t get that impression. Or are we talking about two different things.

Based on other threads over the past months I assumed this would be to investigate possibility of either doing away with steering nag, or supplementing it.

But looking at the image from the camera, it doesn't look ideal for monitoring driver alertness.

Also, understood other non-tesla systems use driver's face to determine level of attention to driving. So being able to see the wheel may not be an issue.

It shouldn't need to see the wheel for the task in hand. When we were monitoring driver focus, from what I saw the camera was setup to concentrate on the eyes, but it was much better framing than the shot above. But it needed to as we were tracking what people were concentrating on whilst driving.

From what remember of a seminar on the subject that I was in, I think daylight the above may suffice as they probably will not need to monitor the same levels of focus. Hopefully that camera can be pushed to see outside visible spectrum but may possibly require some IR emitters.

TeslaScope has been beating teslafi to new versions sometimes recently

2020.24.5 (Software Update) | Teslascope

Teslascope says:

"Backup Camera Improvements
You can now view video streams coming from your side repeater cameras for added visibility around the vehicle.

When the backup camera is visible, simply swipe to display the repeater camera video feeds."

But no mention of fixing the low light exposure / MCU2 rendering issue so you can see anything reversing at dusk & later.