Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36 battery drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car was parked .. and since I posted the question the battery has drained from ~250 miles to 180miles .. there seems to be a rapid discharge of the battery. Does anyone else see this with the new firmware upate? This started to happen only after I upgraded the firmware to 2020.36 last night.

The car was parked .. and since I posted the question the battery has drained from ~250 miles to 180miles .. there seems to be a rapid discharge of the battery. Does anyone else see this with the new firmware upate? This started to happen only after I upgraded the firmware to 2020.36 last night.

So you lost something like 70 miles over 3.5h? That's about 4.7kW if true.

Only way it could be burning through that normally is climate control, for sure. What probably happened is you left a door slightly open and the climate control stayed on (I've had that happen). Although 4.7kW seems a bit higher for air conditioning alone still.

EDIT: And no, I don't see this sort of drain on mine after just updating last night.

EDIT: Just in case someone else thinks of it, this can't be 12 battery failure/short causing constant charging of the 12V battery. It's too much power - even if the 12V charging could source that much current, the DC-DC converter cannot. At least, it can't be that alone.

Last edited:
After installing the latest phone wear update I noticed that after my car charges fully to 80% (270mi) It loses charge and by noon it is at 250. Has anyone else noticed this type of battery drain after upgrading to the latest firmware??
Are you sure you were at 270 miles? That means your total range 100% is 337.5 miles. Also, I do not have this high amount of battery drain. You might have left a door open or left the climate on or cabin protection on.

Are you sure you were at 270 miles? That means your total range 100% is 337.5 miles. Also, I do not have this high amount of battery drain. You might have left a door open or left the climate on or cabin protection on.

I have set my charging limit to 80%, my car starts charging at 2AM (for best rate) and usually is done by 6AM (60A gen3), and my range usually displays along side the battery 272. I have the "let me know if the door is open feature" toggled so if the door was opened I think the car would have let me know. At none when I checked my car it was at 252mi so that is a loss of 20mi just sitting in the 100+F garage. After I turned off the AC from "Auto" to "Off" this afternoon (when I reported this issue here).. I checked it this evening a few minutes ago, and there is no more drain. What ever it is this is really weird.. like someone else mentioned here.. that is a lot of energy wasted just on running the HVAC.

I have a 2018 Jun production M3, normal drain has been consistently around 1 mi/day or less for the past 2 years. After installing this update I have seen a significant increase in drain. Last night I charged to 70% and 8 hours later it was down to 67%, in the past hour it has dropped another 1%, range wise that is 10 miles in 8 hours. AC has been off, as well as sentry mode. I’ve tried resetting the screen and doing the shutdown procedures, neither have helped. I’m going to contact Tesla and will post the results.

I have a 2018 Jun production M3, normal drain has been consistently around 1 mi/day or less for the past 2 years. After installing this update I have seen a significant increase in drain. Last night I charged to 70% and 8 hours later it was down to 67%, in the past hour it has dropped another 1%, range wise that is 10 miles in 8 hours. AC has been off, as well as sentry mode. I’ve tried resetting the screen and doing the shutdown procedures, neither have helped. I’m going to contact Tesla and will post the results.
This has the potential to be a 12v battery issue. Since you have sentry mode turned off, and AC turned off (which I assume you also mean cabin overheat protection turned off, which only works for 12 hours since the car was last driven), you've removed the other major sources of phantom drain. The last major potential source is the 12v battery. The car will wake itself up from sleep and use the HV battery pack to charge the 12v battery as needed. If your 12v battery is on its way out, the car will wake up more frequently to charge it.

This is just a potential cause, and something for you to just keep in mind, especially if you are still on the car's original 12v battery.

Update, spoke with Tesla via phone, they were not aware of issues, noted that in my garage after prolong time there is a constant faint electrical hum not associated with the AC. I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks, was instructed to video the hum and address during annual service.

This has the potential to be a 12v battery issue. Since you have sentry mode turned off, and AC turned off (which I assume you also mean cabin overheat protection turned off, which only works for 12 hours since the car was last driven), you've removed the other major sources of phantom drain. The last major potential source is the 12v battery. The car will wake itself up from sleep and use the HV battery pack to charge the 12v battery as needed. If your 12v battery is on its way out, the car will wake up more frequently to charge it.

This is just a potential cause, and something for you to just keep in mind, especially if you are still on the car's original 12v battery.

Thanks! - I am still on the original 12V battery, it could be the cause. I did have an issue early on with the 12V cable.

Update, spoke with Tesla via phone, they were not aware of issues, noted that in my garage after prolong time there is a constant faint electrical hum not associated with the AC. I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks, was instructed to video the hum and address during annual service.
If the car was not charging when you hear the hum, there is a good chance that the hum is being caused by the DC/DC convertor that is used to charge the 12v battery.

outdoordawg, if you get a resolution of this problem, please share it.

I also have 2018 M3 and from time to time, I noticed that there is some sort of 'fan' or 'motor' running after I drove and parked the car in the garage. It's not necessarily after a long drive to hear up the battery too much. After a short 2-mile drive drive, sometimes I found the fan running noise. This doesn't happen immediately after I park the car. It happens 3-40 mins after I park the car. It also doesn't seem to be related to the temperature, either. Yesterday, the temperature was in mid-70's I drove the car for about an hour, I parked the car, are dinner, came back to the garage to do some work and I found my car having some noise. So, I took the video clip that I'm linking here and you can definitely hear the sound. Usually, when I open the door or lock/unlock the door with the app, the noise stops. In this clip, you will see that the noise stops when I opened the door.

Yesterday, since I was staying in the garage, I found that 5-10 mins after I stopped the fan/motor by opening the door, it started running again. So, I opened the door again and it stopped again. Again, 5-10 mins later, it started running again.

No wonder, sometimes, I found my car having 15-20 miles in the battery less than the previous night. I believe it was having the same issue like yesterday, which drained the battery quite a bit.

I also have sentry mode turned off, and AC turned off, and cabin overheat protection turned off. I haven't tried WiFi disconnected, because it has nothing to do with WiFi, in my opinion, as some mechanical part is running.

This is definitely not the AC fan, because if I turn on AC, the noise gets a lot louder than the noise recorded in this video clip.

Should I bring this in for the service?

By the way, I've had this issue since the beginning for the last 2 years. Originally, I thought it wasn't big deal, but recently the drainage got much bigger - not all the time, but maybe 5-6 times in the last 9 months or so. I haven't been driving a lot due to shelter-in-place and working from home. Not sure if it is related to the software update, though.

outdoordawg, if you get a resolution of this problem, please share it.

I also have 2018 M3 and from time to time, I noticed that there is some sort of 'fan' or 'motor' running after I drove and parked the car in the garage. It's not necessarily after a long drive to hear up the battery too much. After a short 2-mile drive drive, sometimes I found the fan running noise. This doesn't happen immediately after I park the car. It happens 3-40 mins after I park the car. It also doesn't seem to be related to the temperature, either. Yesterday, the temperature was in mid-70's I drove the car for about an hour, I parked the car, are dinner, came back to the garage to do some work and I found my car having some noise. So, I took the video clip that I'm linking here and you can definitely hear the sound. Usually, when I open the door or lock/unlock the door with the app, the noise stops. In this clip, you will see that the noise stops when I opened the door.

Yesterday, since I was staying in the garage, I found that 5-10 mins after I stopped the fan/motor by opening the door, it started running again. So, I opened the door again and it stopped again. Again, 5-10 mins later, it started running again.

No wonder, sometimes, I found my car having 15-20 miles in the battery less than the previous night. I believe it was having the same issue like yesterday, which drained the battery quite a bit.

I also have sentry mode turned off, and AC turned off, and cabin overheat protection turned off. I haven't tried WiFi disconnected, because it has nothing to do with WiFi, in my opinion, as some mechanical part is running.

This is definitely not the AC fan, because if I turn on AC, the noise gets a lot louder than the noise recorded in this video clip.

Should I bring this in for the service?

sounds like AC fan to me.