Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think, as mentioned in earlier posts, if you dropped out of Autosteer and into TACC-only you could set any max speed you wanted (up to 90 MPH) and then re-enable Autosteer to get it to raise your speed as the speed limit increases. Kind of awkward, but possible. I haven't tried that.

Yes....you can do that (I've tested it). It...would just be really annoying to constantly do while city driving because you are constantly going in and out of AP.

Though....how does AP behave on the freeway? If I'm in AP, driving in a 80mph zone and then the speed limit changes to 65...will AP slow down on a freeway or is that only for city driving?

AP does not slow down on a freeway since Autosteer is not speed limited on a freeway. I do have the chime when exceeding my set limit enabled, so I do get a chime if I'm going too fast after a speed limit change.
But AP definitely does slow down and speed back up when on 2-lane highways with reduced speeds in the small towns it passes if you set AP to the highway speed limit. However, setting AP to that reduced speed will not increase back up to highway speed.

Last edited:
If the speed limit increases, its actually DANGEROUS for the car to not speed up to the current speed that all other cars will move at.
You do know you're supposed to be driving and the car is only assisting you? Therefore it is the driver that is acting in a DANGEROUS manner, not the car.
Also, if you notice that the speed limit is about to increase (you were paying attention right?) then tapping the new speed limit symbol will set the new speed - pretty trivial and hardly DANGEROUS at all ;)

But AP definitely does slow down and speed back up when on 2-lane highways with reduced speeds in the small towns it passes if you set AP to the highway speed limit. However, setting AP to that reduced speed will not increase back up to highway speed.
That's exactly what mine does, if you start at 60 and hit a town AP will slow down with the speed limit, then speed back up again on its own.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kevin66
I have a four week old MY with FSD. My software update is 2020.32.3. The interface says this is the latest but is not .36 more up to date?
If so had I download it?

Download whatever update is available to you. Tesla’s don’t work like a phone or computer where you select what updates you want. The network pushes an update and you install it. The newer version will make its way to you, they are sent in batches.