Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.8.4 doesn't see speed signs anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my experience, the car really isn't doing much of anything with speed limit signs anymore, it's using the map data.
My car definitely uses the speed limit signs in some cases. For the OP’s issue, they wouldn’t be seeing different speed limits than before on the same route if it were using only map data. In my case, I’ve had instances where the car can’t see a speed limit change because of an obstruction and it doesn’t respond to the change (once in a while).

My car definitely uses the speed limit signs in some cases. For the OP’s issue, they wouldn’t be seeing different speed limits than before on the same route if it were using only map data. In my case, I’ve had instances where the car can’t see a speed limit change because of an obstruction and it doesn’t respond to the change (once in a while).
It's hard to tell the difference on which speed it is using, often because the geocoded data and the speed limits signs are within a few feet.

In the past, I've seen it read the signs, but these days it really is questionable. And I'm pretty sure that I've seen times that a sign didn't change the speed limit. And I think that there are some posts on the forum about it.

But again, it's hard to tell.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
I received the FSD update to 12.3 last Friday so I decided to try it out on about 250 miles of Texas highway on Sunday. This version has definitely taken FSD back a few steps. It has lost the capability to reliably read speed limit signs. Even when it does get the speed right, it does not control the speed of the vehicle. It will neither speed it up nor slow it down to match the set speed. I found myself moving at 70 mph in a 45 mph zone and it was not slowing.

In a previous edition of version 11 there was problems with the windshield wipers not working correctly. That is still happening in this version.

One of the most dangerous errors in version 11 was what is referred to as lane drift. It kept trying to move into a left turn lane at 80 miles per hour. That is still happening on this version.

The car still cannot handle flashing yellow lights. In fact it went from 75 mph to 45 mph on a 4 lane road because of the flashing yellow. There were no other vehicles in the area.

I have not tried this new version in traffic as none of the older versions could handle that without a lot of interventions. I can't expect this to handle traffic if it can't handle open highway.

I received the FSD update to 12.3 last Friday so I decided to try it out on about 250 miles of Texas highway on Sunday. This version has definitely taken FSD back a few steps. It has lost the capability to reliably read speed limit signs. Even when it does get the speed right, it does not control the speed of the vehicle. It will neither speed it up nor slow it down to match the set speed. I found myself moving at 70 mph in a 45 mph zone and it was not slowing.

In a previous edition of version 11 there was problems with the windshield wipers not working correctly. That is still happening in this version.

One of the most dangerous errors in version 11 was what is referred to as lane drift. It kept trying to move into a left turn lane at 80 miles per hour. That is still happening on this version.

The car still cannot handle flashing yellow lights. In fact it went from 75 mph to 45 mph on a 4 lane road because of the flashing yellow. There were no other vehicles in the area.

I have not tried this new version in traffic as none of the older versions could handle that without a lot of interventions. I can't expect this to handle traffic if it can't handle open highway.
FSD v12 is still using the old stack (i.e. FSD v11) on highways, so that would explain most of your issues.

Isn't that what you are supposed to do at flashing lights? Move into a cautious posture?

Are you sure about that?

Because I'm pretty sure that it doesn't. Very specifically it has at least adopted the new speed mechanism.
The release notes for FSD v12 only mentions the city-street stack has been updated.

The problem not adjusting to higher speeds is also observed in cars without FSD in 2024.8.4, so it's not and FSD issue at all, but an issue with AP in the update as a whole. I was replying to the comment about FSD v12 behaving like FSD v11 on the highway.

On open highway, FSD 12.x still often uses V11. Perhaps you should let us know which stack was running. The lane drift at 80 mph was almost certainly using the V11 stack, not V12, so you should expect that same errors. Same for flashing yellow lights at high speeds.

If you want to experience the V12 stack, stick to city streets until Tesla creates a new single stack.

Reactions: Svedman
The release notes for FSD v12 only mentions the city-street stack has been updated.

The problem not adjusting to higher speeds is also observed in cars without FSD in 2024.8.4, so it's not and FSD issue at all, but an issue with AP in the update as a whole. I was replying to the comment about FSD v12 behaving like FSD v11 on the highway.

This is a new version of the Speed Control. I'm sure there will be some tuning.

From my experience, the car really isn't doing much of anything with speed limit signs anymore, it's using the map data.

I know of one 45mph speed limit sign on a long off ramp next to a 65mph freeway that gets detected while driving on the freeway (the off ramp has speed limit signs on both sides of it, and its left sign is seen by the car as being for the freeway).

• Informative
No minimum speed signs on most roads in Western Colorado. From two lane highways to four lane divided roads. (US 50)
2024.3.10 seems to use (incorrect) map data. I hit the report button about umpteen times, but now ignore the discrepancy.

TACC sees many speed limit signs, but ignores most . . . especially if it is over 55mph. . . still doesn't adjust to them like it used to . . . much like the "dumb cruise" many other drivers advocated for in the past, only slowing for other cars directly in front . . . also like very early rendition of Tesla's TAAC. (2015-ish?)

I've been driving for 50+ years. I rarely use FSD because I LIKE to drive, ( read: "control freak" ;) ) missing the worst pot holes, using the whole lane to maximize space between others on the road from bikes to big rigs, etc. For my taste, FSD is too litteral with lane centering, but then makes random, ill advised (illeagal !) lane changes. I usually look further ahead than the cameras on the car, as well as knowing my usual routes regarding speed limits, best lane choice, traffic density, local driver habits, road quirks, etc.

Just so long as I'm not punished by Tesla's Insurance Safety Score for crusing 65 in a 65 zone when the car (incorrectly) shows 55 as the speed limit . . . which seems to be the case for now.

I've been driving for 50+ years. I rarely use FSD because I LIKE to drive, ( read: "control freak" ;) ) missing the worst pot holes, using the whole lane to maximize space between others on the road from bikes to big rigs, etc. For my taste, FSD is too litteral with lane centering, but then makes random, ill advised (illeagal !) lane changes. I usually look further ahead than the cameras on the car, as well as knowing my usual routes regarding speed limits, best lane choice, traffic density, local driver habits, road quirks, etc.
So you haven't driven V12 then.

So you haven't driven V12 then.
Actually I have, over the last two weeks.
2023 MX, v12.3.3 (FSD Supervised) included in the 2024.3.10 referenced above.
I was delighted to receive/install the update after reading TMC reviews.
A few short (25-40 miles) highway trips confirmed that for me personally, I’m still actually more relaxed steering myself on the highway for now.
I still love demonstrating FSD-S to delighted acquaintances at slower paced driving around town.