Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.26 Unexpected Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's some discussion that 2020.48.26 presents a mixed bag of "improvements", however, I just took it for my first drive and found some unexpected improvements (that may be specific to Canada), including:

1. Phantom breaking is reduced and no longer occurring for some disabled traffic lights.
2. Autopilot now recognizes speed limit signs that are further away from the road and acts accordingly. The highway speed limit detection (vs city speed limit detection) was a specific improvement rolled out in the States; however, this seems to have flown under the radar in Canada.
3. Autopilot now recognizes and responds accordingly to the yellow/brown suggested speed limits.
4. Forward distance perception seems to be increased (or this may just be due to the visualization improvements).

Generally, Autopilot/FSD preview seems to be improved with some important additions, at least in Canada. I wonder if anyone has seen any other unreported improvements.

I’m considering dropping $3K for basic autopilot for my 2018 M3. I’ve been reading a lot about “phantom breaking”. Is it worth spending that much money on a feature that seems to have these issues?
Also, do you think there’s any chance of the price coming down again? (I couldn’t do it last June when it was $1K off).

thanks

I just took it for my first drive and found some unexpected improvements

I’ve noticed that as well. The slowing for stops and lane following get incremental improvements each update. I’ve noticed less phantom braking replaced with slightly less acceleration and slight slower speeds, so I guess that is an improvement.

Is it worth spending that much money on a feature that seems to have these issues?

My opinion is that it is definitely worth it to get at least the basic autopilot, lane keeping and essentially advanced adaptive cruise (TACC). I feel the tech that Tesla can bring to the car is one of the main reasons I bought the car. I went full in with FSD and despite the slow rollout of more advanced features, I have not been disappointed.

Reactions: WattPwr
I’m considering dropping $3K for basic autopilot for my 2018 M3. I’ve been reading a lot about “phantom breaking”. Is it worth spending that much money on a feature that seems to have these issues?
Also, do you think there’s any chance of the price coming down again? (I couldn’t do it last June when it was $1K off).

thanks

I think basic Autopilot is the best part of the automatic driving package offered by Tesla. Yes, it's nice to have the vehicle stop at lights and signs, but it's a huge mental tiredness reducer to have a computer assist in long distance driving and adds an additional safety layer.

Would you drive long distance without cruise control? I can no longer stomach driving long distance without Autopilot...

Also, phantom braking seems better with this update.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will stop reading these signs:

sign-jpg.590241

It seems to be so map dependent. It blows through stop signs it “sees”, but I guess aren’t on the map. I’ve had it in for this, and they say its operating correctly, so clearly it doesn’t react to stop signs that aren’t in the map. Additionally, when there are no signs on county highways, it may go 55, which is the default limit on unsigned rural roads, but it may also decide due to its HD map, that the speed limit is 35. I have a 20 mile stretch here that was correct before the previous map update, and now its 35 the whole way. Depending so much on maps makes the system unusable in my regular routes. So more “white space on my display is what they are working on??? How about a way to make the car respond to what it “sees”, instead of just displaying its view of reality. Letting a map fill in the gaps in its senses is a recipe for disaster.