Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.8 Temporarily Suspended for Some HW3 Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the HW3 upgrade on Thursday. As expected, software was rolled back to 2020.4. However, unlike other users after I got home and got it on Wifi it never would upgrade back to 2020.8.

I finally contacted support yesterday and got a response this morning. I won't post the whole thread (we went back and forth a bit) but here is the most important part:

Since the time firmware version 2020.8 was uploaded to your vehicle, it has been pulled from the available updates that we can send. Bottom line is we are not able to get that back at this time. That is because the engineering team is making changes to it based off of feedback from other users or test results that were performed. Clients that already have 2020.8 will keep it, unless they have the hardware replaced, like in your situation. There are more other configuration within the Dual Motor Performance based off production date and more. This is usually more seamless and you would not notice this, as DAS/FSD hardware is rarely replaced. I apologize for the inconvenience while our team works to bring you the best operating performance possible.

Looks like 2020.8 is suspended for now. At least for some vehicle configurations. If you had 2020.8 and do the HW3 retrofit, you may be stuck with 2020.4 for a bit. Hopefully they'll get the issues worked out soon.

I received the HW3 upgrade on Thursday. As expected, software was rolled back to 2020.4. However, unlike other users after I got home and got it on Wifi it never would upgrade back to 2020.8.

I finally contacted support yesterday and got a response this morning. I won't post the whole thread (we went back and forth a bit) but here is the most important part:

Looks like 2020.8 is suspended for now. At least for some vehicle configurations. If you had 2020.8 and do the HW3 retrofit, you may be stuck with 2020.4 for a bit. Hopefully they'll get the issues worked out soon.

Thanks. Yeah, I also got rolled back to 2020.4. I appreciate the explanation. If Tesla is making changes to 2020.8 then it makes sense not to send it out. I trust we will get the next update when it is ready and it will be a better experience as a result of the changes. I am ok with that.

Reactions: eXntrc

Just as a data point..

My Model 3P has HW 2.5. I had an appointment to get HW3 but it got canceled by tesla because the day of my appointment, there was an accident in front of tesla carlsbad that took out their transformer, so they had no power, so cancelled all appointments that day (lucky me).

Anyway....

My car was on 2020.8, and just about 30 minutes ago, the car prompted me for 2020.8.2. I find this interesting because I have seen plenty of reports of people getting 2020.12. My car is a Nov 2018 build, with FSD purchased. I searched TMC for 2020.8.2 and dont see any reports of it (and I am not on teslafi). No idea why I got 2020.8.2 instead of 2020.12. Point is, maybe you guys will get either 2020.8.2 or 2020.12 soon? Only tesla knows / shrug.

Thanks for the data point jjrandorin. The tech made it sound like it's a combination of things. The vehicle configuration + HW2.5 vs HW3, etc. Or maybe that's just the regular line they give when they can't push an update. I wish I knew for sure. But for now, I just keep checking for updates each day.

Hi all,

If it helps, I'll add another data point.
I had HW3 retrofitted to my 2019 (may build) SR+ M3 in Montreal, Quebec last Saturday (Match 14th).
I came in to the dealership with 2020.8.1 on HW2.5 and now I've been stuck on 2020.4.1 since after the HW3 retrofit.

Checked for updates this morning and still nothing new available for my VIN.

Mad Hungarian (Twitter, the guy who crossed Canada a few weeks ago) had his HW3 retrofitted in Montreal recently and just got the 2020.8.2 update.

I contacted my SC and Tesla, both said my VIN will get re-triggered and they can't do anything about it. First world problems but I'm really looking forward to trying 2020.8.x, it's the first time we get the FSD preview in Canada, what a tease being stuck on 2020.4.1...

• Helpful
Reactions: eXntrc
Lots of people are being upgraded to 2020.8 and even 2020.12. Still, I am hearing from several people in my Houston FB group that they too are stuck on 2020.4 and the car won't update. Just like mine. This seems to be tied to a specific vehicle configuration but it's not clear what. Still investigating.

My upgrade to HW3 with my Model 3 happened last week, and they rolled me back to 2020.4 as well.

Hopefully they'll get it figured out soonish.

Not that it really matters as I'm not going anywhere. This work from home has gotten so bad that I had to buy some slippers. Never in my life have I needed slippers, but now that I'm walking so much at home they're necessary. I don't normally spend so much time at home.

Has everyone been connected to WiFi long enough to allow the navigation/map data to re-update to 2019.20? (Assuming that old map data got applied in the rollback.) That can be something that prevents firmware updates as well.

Has everyone been connected to WiFi long enough to allow the navigation/map data to re-update to 2019.20?

Yes. I have very strong wifi in the garage, where the car has been parked since last Thursday. I've also woken it up via TeslaFi and via walking to the car to check for updates about once a day. It's had time.

This is entirely anecdotal at this point, but I've seen 2 people claim that their car was stuck at 2020.4 for one week from the retrofit date and then they got their updates. One of them said he got his update almost to the hour that he drove away from the service center. Again, totally anecdotal from a very low sample size, but I'll see if it holds true for me this Thursday (3/26).

Last edited:
2020.8.2 took 2 hours to download and install. When I was on HW2.5, updates did not take that long. I wonder if these updates are bigger on HW3?

About 40 minutes for me. I have 150M internet connection, but the limit is probably server capacity and internet traffic. I have read there is also a navigation update, maybe you got both? Though I thought the map update was only for 2020.12

Reactions: diplomat33