Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 BMW M3 (G80) 510HP/AWD : How Will it Compare to Model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well ... you could spend $150k for this Merc

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 4.35.14 PM.jpg

and STILL get thrashed by the Model 3 P

Reactions: GSP
However, due to gearing and clutch slip, the M3 likely will accelerate much faster than the Model 3 off the line (just like the prior version) - it can probably break traction - but that does not mean 0-60 will necessarily be better. We will see.

BMW is telegraphing that the G80 M3 will all AWD versions, so traction will no longer be the limiting factor in acceleration and 0-60 times.
They also claim that they reduced weight relative to F80, which I find hard to believe (at least not for the AWD version). However, if by some miracle, they stuffed enough carbon-fiber in there to add AWD and reduce weight to below 3,500 lbs, it will be one hell of a 500+HP ride that should out-accelerate the TM3P.

Due to the much lower weight, G80 will continue to out-handle TM3P, just like the F80 does today.

Just buy a C8 at 60k and you are super model 3 already.

Well not yet, and then not for another +2 years : GM's first production Model Year is always a "look, but buy, give them time to fix things" period.

Otherwise, if you are in the market for a relatively budget friendly track-ready 2-seater, C8 will soon give run for the money to the MX5.

a

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Its funny, around town the P3 is comical in how fast it is. I mean, how do you not laugh when you are rolling to a light and it turns green before you stop and you nail it and your guts try to invert on you?

However it still doesnt feel very fast at speed to me. My old STi had a lot more pull up top and it was nowhere near the highway monster that many cars are.

Speed is a bit relative. I had a 2.9L cayman that felt asleep compared to the Subaru, but at speed there is no way in hell the Suby was keeping up if the road was anything but straight. The Suby felt faster at speed, however, and was more exciting, though ultimately less capable. The P3 makes people physically sick and angry when you nail it without warning, but is still slower than super sedans in both 0-60 and high speed acceleration. Ive had C63's, RS7's, Corvettes and a couple of mustangs walk off on the highway even at high SOC.

I think what makes the P3 feel so stupid fast is not just the acceleration, but the brutal instantaneousness of it. 30-50? Blink. 50-75? Blink. 10-60? Blink. No one can stop you from merging in traffic.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't get what the point is to have a car that's faster than the P3 on the highway. I couldn't care less if some other cars are faster above 75 mph because last I checked that's the highest speed limit in my state. Top speed, track times, acceleration over 100mph, stopping repeatedly from 100mph, etc. are pretty irrelevant to 99.99999% of drivers out there even though it's fun to talk about.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't get what the point is to have a car that's faster than the P3 on the highway. I couldn't care less if some other cars are faster above 75 mph because last I checked that's the highest speed limit in my state. Top speed, track times, acceleration over 100mph, stopping repeatedly from 100mph, etc. are pretty irrelevant to 99.99999% of drivers out there even though it's fun to talk about.

Only this: I dont ALWAYS obey the speed limit. I could leap a pair of semis and a half dozen cars on a reasonable stretch of 2 lane in the Subaru without thinking about it. Stack up, 4th gear, pull out, grab 5th and pull back in a few seconds later at 135mph and not be sitting behind an 1/8th mile long train of vehicles doing 55mph.

There are people who like fast cars, and there are people who like FAST cars. Im the latter, and a ~500hp P3D doesnt feel fast compared to a 500hp gas car when things get fast.

• Informative
Only this: I dont ALWAYS obey the speed limit. I could leap a pair of semis and a half dozen cars on a reasonable stretch of 2 lane in the Subaru without thinking about it. Stack up, 4th gear, pull out, grab 5th and pull back in a few seconds later at 135mph and not be sitting behind an 1/8th mile long train of vehicles doing 55mph.

There are people who like fast cars, and there are people who like FAST cars. Im the latter, and a ~500hp P3D doesnt feel fast compared to a 500hp gas car when things get fast.

A 3P is absolutely QUICK compared to a 500hp gas card, especially if both cars are cruising and both cars punch it at the same time. That said, when things get FAST, that's a different matter. The 3P is certainly lacking above 70-80ish.

Reactions: SwedishSTIle
I'm the minority of this forum but if I could get the performance of my 3P with an ICE power train without paying near 6 figures I'd be all over that. I love the noise and smells and manual transmissions (when available).

$35K Subaru STI with $25K in mods will give you a low 11 second car that will trap 130+mph and absolutely rape the P3D at highway speed. Source: me

nd7BDfKl.jpg

A 3P is absolutely QUICK compared to a 500hp gas card, especially if both cars are cruising and both cars punch it at the same time. That said, when things get FAST, that's a different matter. The 3P is certainly lacking above 70-80ish.

Agreed, hence my previous post where I spoke to that exact point. THe lack of a transmission and instant torque make the P3D comically fast at slower speeds and when negotiation traffic.

Dont get my wrong here, I no longer own the Suby for myriad of reasons. Commuting in the carpool lane with EAP only one of them. Launching the STi to achieve stated performance figures was a herculean effort of coordination and timing. Subsequently finding 2nd gear successfully after such a ferocious launch was equally impossible. But once she was rolling...goodbye.

Last edited:
Its a balancing act right? I mean, at anything less than highway speed the P3 is about as fast as it gets in everyday scenarios. Today I stacked up with a slammed 911 Turbo S Cabrio. Had the guy gone full street racer on me and used launch control it would have been over, but given rational speeds on the street with some traffic, his $200K car lacked any real advantage. To 50mph it was close enough that he felt the need to go blasting by on a flyby to show his car was faster. Not going to undulge that on the street, especially against a much faster car. Point is the Tesla is enough to give a sharp poke to the ego without attracting unwanted attention and while being supremely daily driver useful.

And THAT is the crux for me: It is fast enough to make me laugh on a regular basis, is all day comfortable, goes in the carpool lane, drives itself in so-cal traffic on my way to and from work, doesnt attract attention with a bawling exhaust, and isnt a car my wife hates/refuses to drive.

Would I track it? No. Would I consider in the same class of car as the M3/M4? No. Is it as engaging and entertaining as a Porsche/Subaru/V8 something or other? No. Does it completely scratch my car itch? No. Is it the best compromise for something I have to drive EVERY day...ABSOLUTELY.

And I regularly delight in running away from those M cars at the stoplights :)

There is no denying that even a C7 is a much more visceral car that is roughly on price parity and matches the performance of the P3. Short of that, you have to step into a used something or other, or invest in modifying a car. For example, a tuned RS3 will run circles around the P3, it has better brakes and suspension and will trap over 125mph and run mid 10's. Add on some hard parts (IC, DP etc) and your looking at a ~60K total investment for a car that will run 9's in the quarter and trap over 140mph. If fun ICE cars are really important enough, there area plenty of ways to get TONS more performance for equal money.