Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Honda Accord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it depressing that after purchasing a high tech luxury vehicle with FSD, honda has most of the same features for half the price, and with better fit and finish. Only been waiting 16 months. Model 3 long range AWD.

It's not just Honda. Almost all newer ICE cars have more features, better fit and finish and quieter interiors (at highway speeds). They don't have the instant torque and acceleration of a Tesla though.

I find it depressing that after purchasing a high tech luxury vehicle with FSD, honda has most of the same features for half the price, and with better fit and finish. Only been waiting 16 months. Model 3 long range AWD.
Honda's lane keep assist is no where near capable of what Tesla's autopilot can do. However I have an '18 Odyssey to compare to, maybe the civic and accord LKAS is a little different but I doubt it makes the jump to what Tesla offers.

Reactions: Bry2001
I had a 2018 Accord Hybrid. LKAS was best at small adjustments. It was very predictable at what it could and couldn't do so it was easy to learn to spot what you had to handle for it in advance. It would take every exit ramp it passed if it happened to be tracking the right lane line etc. I did really like that when you turned it on it stayed on. Any steering inputs from the driver would be accepted then it would go back to doing it's thing as soon as you stopped actively steering. No unintended deactivation like I have with autopilot. Autopilot does handle a much larger range of situations and I do like it much better even if I don't have the same level of trust in it's predictability. LKAS also only works above 30mph. Autopilot's ability to deal with urban stop & creep gridlock set the bar for anything I will ever buy in the future.

For what the Accord cost the features, build quality & economy was amazing. I was a bit sad to see it go but completely recovered the moment I got the Tesla keycards in exchange :)

EV's still cost a lot more to build than an ICE car.
What EV's can offer to offset that is instant acceleration in much larger doses than ICE cars in their price range.

Compare that Honda against the eTron or I-Pace then tell us what you think. Those are luxury EV's that also accelerate well.

Does the Accord have massage seats or night vision? It certainly doesn't have the Jaguar sport seats or handling.

Honda's lane keep assist is no where near capable of what Tesla's autopilot can do. However I have an '18 Odyssey to compare to, maybe the civic and accord LKAS is a little different but I doubt it makes the jump to what Tesla offers.

This.

Every other MFG offering "the same features" really aren't. They're garbage compared to AP.... (this based on loaner and rental cars I've driven with variations of radar/smart cruise, LKA, etc... on Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai, Kia, and more in the last few years)

Caddys system is the only one even remotely comparable (to even basic AP) and only then on the 10% of roads it actually works compared to Teslas system.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

This is the same complaint ( almost word for word) that I usually see on the BMW boards when someone talks about a BMW 328 as a "high end luxury car".

Why I mention that is, its a different car for a different market. I agree 100% with the posters in this thread that say that tesla makes a "Techy" car, but it is in NO WAY a "luxury car". I know for many buying a tesla is a stretch, but no one should "stretch" to buy a vehicle. If you like the honda, you should have bought it.

I am not some environmental drum beater, so, all cars are not for everyone.... Honda makes a fine vehicle, and its right for some people. Its not right for me, may be right for the OP, and if so, sell the model 3 and get a honda. Otherwise I dont get the reason for the post, other than to complain.

Reactions: cucubits
Half the price? No. Check the current prices.

I've owned several accords, and still prefer them for rentals when I can. And buying one new (or many other premium car brands) 2 years ago when I bought my tesla was certainly an option. But the whole driving experience of the tesla is so overwhelmingly better than even the best accord in the long run that I haven't regretted my choice once.

The Accord is a great family sedan. Very roomy and feels solid, but it's not in the same ballpark when it come to the features that are important to most Tesla owners: No reliance on gasoline, the simplicity of a BEV, performance, advanced automation features that continuously evolve, ongoing OTA updates that add more features,not just bug fixes, among others.
Yes, the Accord offers some things not found on Teslas like the HUD for example, but overall, it's aimed at a different market. Also, if you buy the highest trim (for the comparable features), then it can approach 40k, which is certainly more than half the price of a Model 3 LR AWD, or even the P3D.

Reactions: h2oAok
The Accord is a great family sedan. Very roomy and feels solid, but it's not in the same ballpark when it come to the features that are important to most Tesla owners: No reliance on gasoline, the simplicity of a BEV, performance, advanced automation features that continuously evolve, ongoing OTA updates that add more features,not just bug fixes, among others.
Yes, the Accord offers some things not found on Teslas like the HUD for example, but overall, it's aimed at a different market. Also, if you buy the highest trim (for the comparable features), then it can approach 40k, which is certainly more than half the price of a Model 3 LR AWD, or even the P3D.

There's a lot of value in the Accord. I nearly bought the Hybrid version as a half-step to M3. Only problem - I test drove the 3. I was totally done after that.

Reactions: FFR6288
I had an Accord and it was a comfortable enough car but didn't think it was anything special to drive. I can't say I ever thought "oh I really love this car" unlike how I feel about our Teslas and my Model 3. I love driving my Model 3 each time I get in. But that's why people should look around before buying and doing a test drive.