Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 model x vs refresh

which one would you choose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the fence to purchase a brand new model x (refresh) or a used one (2020 with adaptive suspension). Don’t care much about HW4.

Used to the screen on Y and key cards. Not sure how big of an adaptation the vertical screen is. Generally use the tesla app so the key card, I’m guessing is not that big a deal.

That’s pretty much it – a 6 seater with long range is around 75k used vs 105k for the refresh. If going with used, would it make sense to purchase extended warranty beyond the standard 1 yr? What would you wise guys at TMC recommend? Thank you!

Reactions: RNHurt
I'm in a similar situation. My biggest concern about upgrading is losing USS and not having park assist (i.e., the displayed measurements when parking, not auto park).
This was delivered with FSD 11.3.2. Not sure when it will go to standard stack.

IMO, outside of price, the refresh is a no brainer:

Faster car, faster charging, nicer interior, still getting relevant updates, Sentry mode viewed on phone, re-worked falcon doors...I drove a 2020 MS 2 weeks ago and it felt like a dinosaur compared to the refresh.

I was never a fan of the vertical screen.

I have a late 2020 X and tried the new one yesterday. I liked the interior less than the old one in real life. While it looks great in the renderings, it feels very cheap in real life. The screen is also much smaller than it looks in the renderings. The only obvious plus i could see was the screen at the back and the CCS port - but even the charge port itself is very suspicious looking compared to the old one, especially considering winter use.

No stalks are also a minus and the Yoke is horrible at least here in the EU with million roundabouts .

Got to see 2022 refresh without tilt and full opening front doors, a 5 seater.
Drove a 2023 with tilt but no sensors - door doesn’t open fully, don’t see the point of self opening doors if it’s not hands free experience. Spoke to the SA and his suggestion was April-Oct 2022 builds may have tilt and USS.
No stalks wasn’t that big a deal- pretty intuitive how the gears and FSD works- actually like this much better, come to think of it.
Biggest challenge of all -headrest angle sucks. Prior model x seats were very comfortable. The refresh ones are like model Y. These are perforated and look nicer than the Y but sitting upright in the drivers seat is going to be a no deal for me personally!

As many, I am in the same situation and schedule a test drive for tomorrow. Wife wants an Escalade but I love my MS. I didn’t know about the door change, and haven’t heard of noticeable difference in charging times. I need to look into that, because that’s a nice upgrade for trips.

I have a late 2020 X and tried the new one yesterday. I liked the interior less than the old one in real life. While it looks great in the renderings, it feels very cheap in real life. The screen is also much smaller than it looks in the renderings. The only obvious plus i could see was the screen at the back and the CCS port - but even the charge port itself is very suspicious looking compared to the old one, especially considering winter use.

No stalks are also a minus and the Yoke is horrible at least here in the EU with million roundabouts .
I don't want to get flamed as a new member, but I have to add myself to the list of folks who like the old interior better for pretty much the same reasons you spell out. I really like the rear screen on the refresh but, other than that, the older interior, especially with wood trim, feels more refined (like my old Mercedes S350) and the refresh feels like there is too little to separate it from the M3 I traded in for my pre-refresh X.

When I test drove the refresh I too didn't like the yoke or the missing stalks. Twice I accidentally honked the horn when reaching for something on the screen while resting my other hand on the yoke. My quick observation, and I could be wrong, was that there is less Alcantara in the refresh and since I'm a big fan of it I didn't like that either.

I had my M3LR for 5 years and thought I would really miss the horizontal screen, but somehow the vertical screen feels both more fully integrated into the dash and more driver-centric, if that makes any sense. I have short little arms like a T-Rex and I can easily reach everything on my MX. Of course I'm getting older and gen x is the new "boomers" I guess. I know this will probably make some folks heads explode, but I prefer the old chrome trim. There, I said it. *Whew* I feel better finally saying it publicly, lol. The new painted black trim looks cheap to me. I also think that chrome/polished metal (properly maintained) will outlive the satin paint used on the trim now.

Sorry - I meant if there were any improvements! Never owned an X until a week ago. Always heard bad stories about falcon doors and wondered if they are better on refresh. It seemed like usubucksfan was implying the FwD were better in refresh - mine work fine though I’ve no idea how it’s better than legacy. Certainly can endorse the fast charging. Definitely faster than the 21 Y. And if you’re similarly worried about headrest angle, a neck pillow works fine for me. Another big thing is the automatic camera on turn signal which is not supported by legacy screens.

Reactions: RNHurt
Sorry - I meant if there were any improvements! Never owned an X until a week ago. Always heard bad stories about falcon doors and wondered if they are better on refresh. It seemed like usubucksfan was implying the FwD were better in refresh - mine work fine though I’ve no idea how it’s better than legacy. Certainly can endorse the fast charging. Definitely faster than the 21 Y. And if you’re similarly worried about headrest angle, a neck pillow works fine for me. Another big thing is the automatic camera on turn signal which is not supported by legacy screens.
There was an article at one point saying the refresh had improved the doors for reliability, but I couldn't find it.

I own a 2018 2.5 and a new 2023 as of last Friday. I honestly don't see any difference in the function of the Falcon doors, but then again, I never had any problems with them in our 2018. The auto present front doors are a totally different matter...on the 2018 they work great, on the 2023 the auto present is basically useless opening only about 3". The new doors apparently are working as designed...which sucks! I'm taking it to the service center to have them tell me definitively.

I own a 2018 2.5 and a new 2023 as of last Friday. I honestly don't see any difference in the function of the Falcon doors, but then again, I never had any problems with them in our 2018. The auto present front doors are a totally different matter...on the 2018 they work great, on the 2023 the auto present is basically useless opening only about 3". The new doors apparently are working as designed...which sucks! I'm taking it to the service center to have them tell me definitively.
If it’s a 2023, it definitely doesn’t have the USS in falcon which communicates with front doors to self open. Apparently Tesla vision is supposed to help with that but is not ready yet! Refresh S and X builds before sometime in Oct22 currently have the functioning self opening front doors.

Reactions: KDAA25
To me the power move would be the refresh but with USS and a wheel retrofit. I completely agree with those who feel the "amazing new interior" is really not that much better than the old, but it is an improvement and in an area where the S/X really needed some kind of improvement.

HW4 cars without USS I consider a complete no go on the X (maybe S as well, but definitely X). Lack of self opening front doors, in addition to all of the other downsides of no USS (no Summon, no AutoPark, no functional Park Assist) is insane on a car this expensive.

I'd either look to find one of the last 2022s that had USS used and save some coin, or wait to see if Tesla ever brings those features back via "vision". Right now "HW4" is pure downside (and yes, I'm aware of the placebo effect of the "new high res cameras" which, to my eye, look exactly the same after testing an HW4 car for a week and jumping between it and my 2022 MY)