Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Headlight Replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
My headlight is not working. There is no light. Waiting for service center to give a cost estimate. Any thoughts on cost? Since nothing is lighting up do I have to replace the whole unit or just the bulb. If anyone has some experience, please let know your thoughts. Thanks.

Since nothing is lighting up do I have to replace the whole unit or just the bulb.

The whole unit is what Tesla replaces. I dont know if its possible to replace the bulb but I dont think so. A new Headlight is around 1k from Tesla I think. Some people DIY it with parts from ebay / totaled cars etc.

Here is one from a model 3, which is likely fairly similar:

The whole unit is what Tesla replaces. I dont know if its possible to replace the bulb but I dont think so. A new Headlight is around 1k from Tesla I think. Some people DIY it with parts from ebay / totaled cars etc.

Thank you.

Well, this stinks.

Just found out that one of my DRLs isn’t working properly. I pulled into a parking spot and saw my lights reflecting off the store front window that one side was bright but the other wasn’t.

The lights all work fine in normal mode (headlights ON). When you look at the lights at the right height in DRL mode (headlights OFF while driving), you can see a bright light from the driver side, but not the passenger side.

Not feeling like spending upwards of $1k to fix this. I guess I’ll check with service anyway.

Well, this stinks.

Just found out that one of my DRLs isn’t working properly. I pulled into a parking spot and saw my lights reflecting off the store front window that one side was bright but the other wasn’t.

The lights all work fine in normal mode (headlights ON). When you look at the lights at the right height in DRL mode (headlights OFF while driving), you can see a bright light from the driver side, but not the passenger side.

Not feeling like spending upwards of $1k to fix this. I guess I’ll check with service anyway.
Warranty. LEDs aren’t like a regular bulb that burns out and you replace. Because of this it should be covered by warranty.