Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MX long range plus @ 100% SOC = 295mi w/2020.8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car arrived 3/09/20 to Costa Mesa. Built in February, VIN is F260xxx. Listed as LR+. The dashboard and touch screen has always said Long Range Plus, and so does the Monroney sticker (351 mi range).
My first 100 miles I calculated that it was going to come out at 292 mi by driving and map miles. So today I let it charge to 100% from 58% at 7.7kW. And when it hit 100% it's at 295 miles. It doesn't seem to be able to report both % and miles, so it's hard to do seat-of-the-pants range estimates. I believe the 351 mi EPA number is in effect, it's just the car is acting like a "learning" range estimator, not a Tesla-style semi-fixed algorithm. The battery is rev F, all available updates have been loaded including 2020.8.1.

So, for those in the same situation, I feel for you. For the rest, endless threads about range are still mind numbing. I read about it, and did everything possible to insure I would receive a "351" car, and was reassured, but to no avail.

I have faith they will address this, but I wish I knew how much total capacity the car is able to use so I can do SOTP calcs for long distances. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, "Use Instruments, But Verify" is the way I'm most comfortable with.

TLDR: It is normal for a brand new true LR+ to read range wrong right now. It's not the VIN or update. It's a bug.

Something is not right if it’s that low.

Both Model 3 and X were very close to EPA range on my very first charge (90% extrapolated to 100%) and shortly later to a 100%. Never had to learn much.

Nothing to do with driving efficiency.

Be curious where your “Rated” line is on the energy App on an LR+ with 2020.8.1 or later installed. Mine on LR sits at close to 300 wh/mi. Which does translate to approx 328 miles range.

Now that warm weather is back with only 50% Regen I’ve averaged 260 wh/mi for the last 25 miles driving around in town.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Something is not right if it’s that low.

Both Model 3 and X were very close to EPA range on my very first charge (90% extrapolated to 100%) and shortly later to a 100%. Never had to learn much.

Nothing to do with driving efficiency.

Be curious where your “Rated” line is on the energy App on an LR+ with 2020.8.1 or later installed. Mine on LR sits at close to 300 wh/mi. Which does translate to approx 328 miles range.

Now that warm weather is back with only 50% Regen I’ve averaged 260 wh/mi for the last 25 miles driving around in town.

I drove 75-80 mph for much of my first 100 miles, so 295 mi isn't that bad, it reads 309 wh/mi since new.

I asked so many times, I sounded like a nag, and they assured me everything is normal for a LR+ when I picked it up Tuesday night.

I drove 75-80 mph for much of my first 100 miles, so 295 mi isn't that bad, it reads 309 wh/mi since new.

I asked so many times, I sounded like a nag, and they assured me everything is normal for a LR+ when I picked it up Tuesday night.

Efficiency has NOTHING to do with it.

Mine was a Performance and I did launches for first few days showing friends and family. Wh/mi was crap but it charged correctly. To within 1 mile of spec every time.

Last edited:
2020.8.1.1 finally fixed it. 95% = 336 mi so 353 mi. :cool:

Life is good again. Observation: Seems to have noticeably more punch at 95-100% SOC than 60-80%, full regen not available at 95%, which is why I don't like running EVs at 100% SOC unless they are buffered a lot.

If a moderator reads this, please add FIXED! to the title.

Good the hear that it is fixed.

Regarding power, you should get similar HP/TQ between 100-80% SOC. You shouldn't charge more than 90% on a regular basis.

2020.8.1.1 finally fixed it. 95% = 336 mi so 353 mi. :cool:

Life is good again. Observation: Seems to have noticeably more punch at 95-100% SOC than 60-80%, full regen not available at 95%, which is why I don't like running EVs at 100% SOC unless they are buffered a lot.

If a moderator reads this, please add FIXED! to the title.

Told ya, something wasn't right. Good to hear though.