Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Snow Drift - Interested to hear what Tesla is able to fix with your service appointment.

My temporary workaround every night is to unplug the USB stick (before the car sleeps), and when I leave in the morning,I plug it in and it recognizes it. Seems that if the usb is plugged in while the car is asleep, it renders the dash cam USB unavailable until the car reboots or USB is plugged in when woken from a sleep cycle.
They didn't fix anything. They said the SSD was drawing too much power (I've used it for almost 4 years). It started working, and now it is back to being broken every now and then. They said only the Tesla USB stick is suggested lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Mercedes fan
Wow, I’m glad I found this thread though I’m sorry it’s happening to others. I took my car in this morning and they “fixed” it for the dashcam not operating for me. The fix took about an hour, but two drives another I got it back and it was broken again. And for what it’s worth, I’ve been using a Tesla USB stick but this just started happening around two weeks ago.

I messaged them and now they’re supposed to be escalating it, but here’s the breakdown:

IMG_9536.jpeg

Wow, I’m glad I found this thread though I’m sorry it’s happening to others. I took my car in this morning and they “fixed” it for the dashcam not operating for me. The fix took about an hour, but two drives another I got it back and it was broken again. And for what it’s worth, I’ve been using a Tesla USB stick but this just started happening around two weeks ago.

I messaged them and now they’re supposed to be escalating it, but here’s the breakdown:

View attachment 1035696
Mine stopped work as well. The workaround is to not have any excluded locations. To get the dashcam to start working again, reboot system by holding in both scroll wheels. I was told it was caused by a firmware update & will be resolved in a future release.

Mine stopped work as well. The workaround is to not have any excluded locations. To get the dashcam to start working again, reboot system by holding in both scroll wheels. I was told it was caused by a firmware update & will be resolved in a future release.
Yeah, I tried the reboot several times but it would stop working a drive or two later. I’ll remove excluded locations and see if that works. Thanks!

Just finished my mobile service, the tech said that he gets these all the time, its never older cars with USB in arm rest/cup holder center console, and its never newer ones with USB in the glove compartment. He said its always the models (3 and Y) that have the USB under the phone charging pads. He said that he has replaced two USB hubs just today before getting to me (part number FRONT(1522264-00-B)) and he said that from what he has seen that fixes the issue.
One thing that was a bit discouraging is that I was hoping they fixed something in HW to prevent this from happening. One that was pulled out of mine was "Rev 1" it states on the sticker, but he showed me the other two from earlier today that he pulled out and they are "Rev 2". So the issue is not necessarily resolved for the future.

Ill report back if replacing the hub fixes it. (my MCU was already replaced (for another issue) and didnt fix it).

Fix was covered under warranty but before warranty was determined the cost to replace was like $250