Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 or 2021 model 3 payload/scrapping bottom and bike rack question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone, new subscriber here :)

I read the post by a subscriber in regards to being overloaded in his model Y with passengers and baggage. These are situations that happen once in a while. I wanted to confirm the same situation on a possible 2020/2021 model 3 long range awd I am looking at buying in the short future.

I had a 2019 ioniq plugin with a payload capacity of 820lbs so basically like a model 3 long range awd. I carry 4 people, 3 suitcases and a cooler that comes out to about 850/860 lbs, so just slightly above the limit about once a month... In my ioniq I would scrape the bottom when going over uneven roads on my way to the cottage (1or 2 times but very lightly). I could slow down of course :)

I believe the suspension of the model 3 is stiffer so:
would that help in minimizing the bottom scrapping and would that affect the battery warranty if Tesla seems some scrapping in the bottom of the car?

I would also install an hidden hitch for a bike rack. Would Tesla see that as an issue and cancel the warranty as they would not know what I would be doing with it? I read in the manual that for the bike rack (need space for an electric bike and 2 regular bikes) you need to do some calculations for weight location of the rack and bikes.... Is this all necessary or JUST put the bikes on and drive ?

Thank you everyone for your feedback as you guys actually drive these cars. Have a great day.

Marcos

The Model 3 in the US doesn't support towing or a hitch, it's really stupid and yes, there is a variety of third party solutions.

The Model 3, as I think all Tesla has plastic shields on the bottom to optimize airflow. So depending on how you bottom out, it may be on this thick plastic plate. But it also can be on the door frames.

Between two cars, it's not really the suspension and stuff that makes a difference, it's the clearance. But sure, the vehicle may drop a little when loaded.

You may find that the Model Y is a little more comfortable when carrying 4 passengers.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. Guess I will need to try out the route with the car and the 4 people and suitcases to see how it goes.

Does anyone know if there are helper inflatable bags that can go in the rear springs (if suspension design permits) that could help prevent bottoming out in these situations as it only would happen in average once or twice a month?

Upvote 0
Helper bags should technically fit in the Model 3. However, honestly a mild spacer lift might be a more practical option for you.

I am lowered, and during my last move I definitely scraped a bit more, but it is what it is :p .
IMG_0678.jpeg

Upvote 0