Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.12.25.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about.

What Is a Hard Reboot (Reset)?​

Doing a hard reboot on a Tesla (otherwise known as a hard reset) involves disconnecting the 12V battery and allowing the electronics to discharge before hooking the battery back up again. You’ll only want to try this kind of reset on your Tesla if you live far away from a service center or if a mobile tech is too tied up to come out for a while. It involves actually getting near the guts of the Tesla and close to the vehicle’s High Voltage equipment, so this method isn’t for the casual driver.

We’d like to drop a quick note in here about the terms soft reboot (reset) and hard reboot (reset): a lot of people call the full vehicle software reboot a “hard reboot” even though it doesn’t involve disconnecting the power supply from the onboard computer system. While the full vehicle reset does remove power from some systems, it does not remove power from all of them. A full hard reset should theoretically disconnect power from the computers entirely, like removing the battery from your phone.

The soft vs hard reset distinction makes reading forum advice on rebooting a Tesla quite confusing, so for the purposes of this blog: soft reboot = software (screens or full vehicle), hard reboot = hardware (disconnect of the 12V battery).

FYI — the brake does absolutely NOTHING.

Quoting one of our Owners Club members who shall remain nameless (but definitely in a position to know …)

There is NO difference between doing a scroll wheel reset with or without the brake pedal pressed. This is a long-standing misconception or myth that has been perpetuated and spread widely over time primarily through online forums and social media. Pressing the brake pedal while doing a scroll wheel reset does not result in a “deeper” or “harder” reset, regardless of what you hear or read from anyone. The origin of this myth is uncertain. What pressing the brake does do, however, is make sure you’re not driving while you are doing the scroll wheel reset.”
Thank you for continuing to try to dispel this myth. I had given up but I'm glad someone else is still on it.

I was updating off my phone's hotspot and it was struggling at the beginning (350kB/s ....ugh....), but it sped up later. Ya gotta love the over loaded networks in Silicon Valley. I was also thinking about heading to my local service center.

Try to be patient and it'll go.

firmware_update.jpg

2019 - Model 3
Update is frozen at 30% and support can’t fix it. Only option is drive to service center.

2019 - Model 3
Update is frozen at 30% and support can’t fix it. Only option is drive to service center.
sad. and it is reasons like this as to why I NEVER install an update as soon as it comes out. I let all you folks test it for me first. Thank you for that. :)
In fact, about 30% of the time, I skip over an update and never install it based on what I see on TMC.

I was updating off my phone's hotspot and it was struggling at the beginning (350kB/s ....ugh....), but it sped up later. Ya gotta love the over loaded networks in Silicon Valley. I was also thinking about heading to my local service center.

Try to be patient and it'll go.

View attachment 689152
Mine was downloaded fine. It was stuck installing at 30% for about 7 hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Updated just fine yesterday, not sure what version I was coming from. Regen seems to not be as strong, could have it turned off due to some playing around with settings, will check after work. Music player will not detect USB music at all, and I don't even care about Album Art! Says it isn't formatted to use Sentry Mode or some thing...

Very unhappy with the state of regen. Seems to be getting less and less. Which means using the brakes (and two petals) more and adding power less into the batteries.

I would like to see a HEAVY(er) regen setting.
Regen is inconsistent for me personally on my M3 2021. Sometimes when I take it out of ACC and it will go pretty hard into the regen and it slows way faster than I expect. Then other times, nearly same speed or even slower, it goes softer and I end up having to press the brakes to get it to slow/stop in time. So now I'm in the habit of taking it out of ACC or lifting at higher speeds due to this and usually ends up being way short of what I expect and I need to press the accelerator to keep it going. But then there is the 30% of the time all the sudden it won't slow as much and regen is weaker, hit the brakes or gets it right on the spot/distance to stop.

I could have figured out and worked a reliable speed/distance method to not use brakes, but regen is not consistent to allow that. So my slowing/stopping is all over the place.

Maybe they are just fixing the issue so it is consistent now. Plus, maybe they have done testing which shows a slightly less regen making the distance/time longer actually helps improve regen rather jam into the system harder and it stops quicker, making it shorter??