Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.44.30.11 Installed in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for some 18 months now and I think it is a great car.

I am also though a retired software engineer and am appalled by the latest update (2021.44.30.11) that I installed some 2 weeks ago. It looks to me like the "Tesla programming team" have carte blanche to do whatever they like to the user interface without thinking about their users. Whilst previous updates were not always ideal, the latest set of changes are dreadful and require drivers to relearn how to do a bunch of things. . If Samsung/Apple produced updates to their phone's operating systems such that icons were moved around or removed completely, there would be riots in the streets.

To give some examples:-

1. I used to be able to swipe in the "Cards" area of the screen to bring up the Trip Computer details. This area has now been removed so to access this information I have to touch the "car" icon in the bottom right hand corner and then select "Trips" from the drop down menu. Not only does this require me to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen, then select the appropriate item from the drop down list but when I do this, the resulting information completely hides the map. In short, I cannot now see my "fuel consumption" information as well as my map.
  2. When charging my car at home via my EV charger, I used to be able to plug in and start charging and see what the "charge rate" was and how long it would take just by looking at the screen through the window from the outside. This information is now displayed in microscopic font but only if you sit in the car.
  3. Items that used to require just "one tap" on the screen(e.g "turn on heated seat" now require 2 separate taps - one to bring up a "drop down" menu and another to select what you want from a list. You then get a screen that completely hides the map.(Being right-handed in a right-hand drive car means the list of "choices" is visually some way away)

These are just 3 of numerous changes that requires one to relearn a user interface that one had become used to. It reminds me of the time when Microsoft changed the user friendly GUI of Windows 7 to Windows 8 - an apalling mistake on their part.

I believe some of the changes that Tesla have made to their User Interface are down right dangerous. It is illegal in the UK to use a mobile phone whilst driving but using a Tesla touch screen is almost as dangerous. It would be much more sensible to make much use of the scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel to select things you want to see or do and allow you to keep you eyes on the road.

I fear what might happen in future releases.

First of all, I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for some 18 months now and I think it is a great car.

I am also though a retired software engineer and am appalled by the latest update (2021.44.30.11) that I installed some 2 weeks ago. It looks to me like the "Tesla programming team" have carte blanche to do whatever they like to the user interface without thinking about their users. Whilst previous updates were not always ideal, the latest set of changes are dreadful and require drivers to relearn how to do a bunch of things. . If Samsung/Apple produced updates to their phone's operating systems such that icons were moved around or removed completely, there would be riots in the streets.

1. I used to be able to swipe in the "Cards" area of the screen to bring up the Trip Computer details. This area has now been removed so to access this information I have to touch the "car" icon in the bottom right hand corner and then select "Trips" from the drop down menu. Not only does this require me to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen, then select the appropriate item from the drop down list but when I do this, the resulting information completely hides the map. In short, I cannot now see my "fuel consumption" information as well as my map.
  2. When charging my car at home via my EV charger, I used to be able to plug in and start charging and see what the "charge rate" was and how long it would take just by looking at the screen through the window from the outside. This information is now displayed in microscopic font but only if you sit in the car.
  3. Items that used to require just "one tap" on the screen(e.g "turn on heated seat" now require 2 separate taps - one to bring up a "drop down" menu and another to select what you want from a list. You then get a screen that completely hides the map.(Being right-handed in a right-hand drive car means the list of "choices" is visually some way away)

These are just 3 of numerous changes that requires one to relearn a user interface that one had become used to. It reminds me of the time when Microsoft changed the user friendly GUI of Windows 7 to Windows 8 - an apalling mistake on their part.

I believe some of the changes that Tesla have made to their User Interface are down right dangerous. It is illegal in the UK to use a mobile phone whilst driving but using a Tesla touch screen is almost as dangerous. It would be much more sensible to make much use of the scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel to select things you want to see or do and allow you to keep you eyes on the road.

I have seen or heard being late for the party but it looks like you are arriving when the party is finished! There are 100s of threads, polls and comments related to this and this forum loves throwing kitchen sink and some more at the Tesla AI team, programmers and Elon. So they would love your comments!

• Funny
Reactions: pow216

There's a heck of an echo around here! (Welcome to TMC ... best check out previous threads before posting about an issue that has already had comprehensive coverage.)

Reactions: init6