Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.44.5 Uneven Tire Wear Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know if the service center can even clear it? And if so, will it come right back if you haven't changed your tire situation?

I've gotten a couple of flats and had to replace some tires (Michelin PS4s on 18" wheels). I can match them pretty well on each axle (within one to two 32d's), and the front and rear within one or two 32d's average, but the difference between the most worn and least worn tire overall is maybe over 3/32. I'm told it's not a terrible setup, the way it's pretty balanced left/right, and I can improve the overall pretty soon by another rotation after some predictable difference in front/rear wear. The tires still have probably a good 5k left in them so I'd rather not scrap them and buy a whole new set.

I don't mind a notification that there seems to be uneven wear, but I wish I could dismiss it myself. I don't like that I can't choose to use this setup without an ugly ominous warning sitting on my screen.

Any solutions other going through Tesla service center
Well I have been to service center 4 times for this issue and they have not been able to fix it. It goes away for maybe 20 miles or so, usually by the time I get back home the warning is back:( The tires are about 2 months old and have maybe 500 miles on them (I do not drive much). The second time to service center they charged me $290 for alignment that I did not need nor authorize. At the time of the service, the service manager said they would waive the charge. A month later they charged my card for it. It has taken many messages and phone calls to get them to reverse the charge. They finally did. But now my Tesla App stills wants me to approve the erroneous service?!?!? I wish they would either fix the issue or permanently remove the warning as the message occludes other messages that I care about:)

Well I have been to service center 4 times for this issue and they have not been able to fix it. It goes away for maybe 20 miles or so, usually by the time I get back home the warning is back:( The tires are about 2 months old and have maybe 500 miles on them (I do not drive much). The second time to service center they charged me $290 for alignment that I did not need nor authorize. At the time of the service, the service manager said they would waive the charge. A month later they charged my card for it. It has taken many messages and phone calls to get them to reverse the charge. They finally did. But now my Tesla App stills wants me to approve the erroneous service?!?!? I wish they would either fix the issue or permanently remove the warning as the message occludes other messages that I care about:)
Are you still experiencing the issue? I am in the same boat😓

So I changed my rear tires around xmas, but did not change the front ones. Now I'm getting this message: "Uneven tire wear - rear tire tread depth too low". Edit: I would expect "front tire tread depth too low" instead, as they are older...
It seems to me that the same message pops up as soon as they detect a difference between the front and the rear tires. They seem to assugn the rear tires to be more worn out.
What's weird in my case is that the message came exactly after I rolled over an object on the road that took a (small) piece of rubber from one of my read tires. So I first thought it detected that somehow...
Same here. Rears new. Front 6000 miles. Warning says rear tread depth low. It’s an annoyance. Not helpful in any way. Having the near exact (within 1.5mm) tread wear front to back is not an indicator of danger. I can keep track of my own tire wear. And you can’t get rid of the warning!!! Says Tesla service rep.
A. It’s incorrect. The front is more worn
B. It’s not helpful, can’t be cleared, and is annoying
Glad my old 2013 Model S doesn’t have this advanced capability

Same here. Rears new. Front 6000 miles. Warning says rear tread depth low. It’s an annoyance. Not helpful in any way. Having the near exact (within 1.5mm) tread wear front to back is not an indicator of danger. I can keep track of my own tire wear. And you can’t get rid of the warning!!! Says Tesla service rep.
A. It’s incorrect. The front is more worn
B. It’s not helpful, can’t be cleared, and is annoying
Glad my old 2013 Model S doesn’t have this advanced capability
Probably what they're actually measuring is the difference in rotation speeds, which indirectly gives circumference. When it says "rear tread depth low", the real implication is the car measured that the effective (mounted, loaded, and rolling) circumference of your mounted rear tires seems smaller than the fronts.

If you have sets of 4 matching wheels and tires installed together, their messaging might make sense, but otherwise you should look at it in these circumference terms...

Even if your rears are newer and have more measurable tread depth, they could still be smaller in rolling circumference, because they're a different size, or a different brand, or even just a different lot/batch/year of the "same" tire with a difference in construction/stiffness. It could also be from having lower pressure in the rear.

You can argue the feature needs improving, but it would be helpful to figure out what exactly is going on first.

IMHO, the only way they could make this feature useable for those that buy 2 tires at a time or do custom/mixed wheels and/or tires would be to have some service interface where you explicitly tell the car when you add new tires, when/if you rotate, and what the starting tread depth of the new tires is. With that information + TPMS it could probably infer the rest to give an accurate tread depth warning. I doubt that they'll do it all that, though. Maybe could push for a setting called "manual tire management" which disables the warnings, or and least a "reset and accept the current state" sort of button for when it goes off erroneously given the real tread depths?

Reactions: android04
Probably what they're actually measuring is the difference in rotation speeds, which indirectly gives circumference. When it says "rear tread depth low", the real implication is the car measured that the effective (mounted, loaded, and rolling) circumference of your mounted rear tires seems smaller than the fronts.

If you have sets of 4 matching wheels and tires installed together, their messaging might make sense, but otherwise you should look at it in these circumference terms...

Even if your rears are newer and have more measurable tread depth, they could still be smaller in rolling circumference, because they're a different size, or a different brand, or even just a different lot/batch/year of the "same" tire with a difference in construction/stiffness. It could also be from having lower pressure in the rear.

You can argue the feature needs improving, but it would be helpful to figure out what exactly is going on first.

IMHO, the only way they could make this feature useable for those that buy 2 tires at a time or do custom/mixed wheels and/or tires would be to have some service interface where you explicitly tell the car when you add new tires, when/if you rotate, and what the starting tread depth of the new tires is. With that information + TPMS it could probably infer the rest to give an accurate tread depth warning. I doubt that they'll do it all that, though. Maybe could push for a setting called "manual tire management" which disables the warnings, or and least a "reset and accept the current state" sort of button for when it goes off erroneously given the real tread depths?
I've not had the error message come up on mine, but it does seem stupid to not have a reset option somewhere, even under the service section.

If there is that much variation in rolling diameter between same brand and model tire of different lot numbers then that would be an indication that even attempting a warning system based on rolling diameter variations is pointless.
The car is empty. Got brand new rear tires put on. Same model Michelin Primacy as on the front. The front tires were purchased 3 months ago and have 6000 miles on them. They should be trivially smaller diameter than the new rear tires. The Warning states the rears are smaller despite the previous ones had more than 25,000 miles on them and were down to 3mm tread depth with NO warning!

This is a bad system, poorly deployed with no recourse until Tesla decides to fix it. They should issue a retraction update asap until they can make it actually work along with a reset feature that allows a permanent bypass that doesn’t need to be affirmed each time one gets in the car.
I’ve been with Tesla for 9 years…purchased 3 Teslas. Have 210k miles on my S with only early motor issues and recurrent door handle issues. Otherwise it costs me nothing except tires. But this feature stinks.

And BTW. Why can’t Tesla put an odometer on the Model 3. Permanent total miles driven in the upper left of the screen rather than buried within several tabs??? There plenty of room up there for a 6 digit number

Reactions: Jason1652
And BTW. Why can’t Tesla put an odometer on the Model 3. Permanent total miles driven in the upper left of the screen rather than buried within several tabs??? There plenty of room up there for a 6 digit number
I agree that a constant display of the odometer should be on the screen. Every modern vehicle has such a display, even those that are digital (electronic) and not mechanical. However, I don't think Tesla would be willing to do that as it then becomes quite easy to see the disparity between the actual miles traveled from the odometer, to the car's estimated range (for those of us who continue to display miles instead of percentage).

I have the same problem as Finman. Rear tires (Crossclimate2) are newer (12k miles driven) than the front tires (MXM4) yet Tesla reports "Rear tire tread depth too low." The warning first appeared in Feb so I think there was one month after getting the update where I didn't get the warning.

The error used to go away 25% of the time. But the warning persists ever since I rotated the front tires side to side. Front tires are at 4/32" towards the outside but 3/32" on the inside.

This warning shouldn't be able to detect uneven wear towards the inside of the tire right?

Tesla should document what they measure that causes the warning.