Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you measure tread depth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I'm overthinking this. What is the correct way to measure tread depth on a tire? I have a nice digital machinist's depth gauge so actually taking a measurement at any given point is not what I'm asking about. Where on the tire should you measure, and in how many positions? Center, towards an edge, where it seems to be most worn? How many points around the circumference? Is what is relevant the smallest number you find, or an average of multiple measurements? How much variation is typical from measurement to measurement? The foot on my gauge is maybe 2" long, so will bridge a number of features on the tire; will that give an appropriate reading?

I guess my primary interest is in a relative measurement, to see whether there is uneven wear, not in any absolute value-- I'm not about to drive on tires that are anywhere near the legal minimum. So maybe the answer is really simple, like take one measurement in the middle of the tire.

Uneven depth is something I've never even thought about before, but Tesla's appear to be much fussier about evenness than other cars, from what I've read.