Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this and not bothered to swap the security module?

I’m keen to just take one console out and put the new style one in, in one go, rather than have to strip both consoles by a reasonable amount after I’ve removed it from the car, just to swap the security module.

I realise this will leave my car undriveable until I can get a tech out.

Is there any downside to this plan besides waiting for a Tesla ranger to show up?

I did the swap into my 2020 M3, you will have to swap the authorization unit from your old console into the new console. very happy with the results.
Was contemplating doing this as well - is the Auth console the only thing that’s needed to be swapped? Did your console
Come with data capable usb ports? (A & C or two C’s?)

The price I’ve seen on the complete consoles is definitely worth the upgrade.

I do like the OG console, it feels like the original vision for the car. At the same time when I'm actually using the car I have the top lid up and my phone on the wireless charging mat underneath, so the aesthetics are muted somewhat.

Having test drove a 2022 M3P, I felt like the current console felt better in quality.

Was contemplating doing this as well - is the Auth console the only thing that’s needed to be swapped? Did your console

It's a straight swap on post-2018 Model 3/Ys (blue CANBUS connector), it uses the same two electrical connectors in the same places. Only the security controller needs to be swapped.

Reactions: PauliePucks
It's a straight swap on post-2018 Model 3/Ys (blue CANBUS connector), it uses the same two electrical connectors in the same places. Only the security controller needs to be swapped.
Not exactly. The 26-pin Blue connector, starts with Model 3 build dates starting with Jan 2019. Prior to that, cars have the 20-pin White connector. You can still do the update swap, but need to either make a harness jumper/adapter with both 20-pin and 26-pin ends, or swap one of the incompatible harness connectors.

Swapping the Security controller (key-card reader) requires partial disassembly of both consoles and is not easy for a person doing for the first time. Releasing the clips without causing damage to the plastic pieces is tricky.

You need to figure out if your new 2.0 Center Console will includes a USB-C charging module that also supports data. Also, if the 2.0 Center Console's wiring harness has the USB data plug, some do not have one. You might need to install an aftermarket USB-C module supporting both charging and data.

If you want to install a USB data port in the glove compartment, your not going to be able to do that easily with your Intel Atom media computer. The later cars with that glove compartment feature, have the newer AMD Ryzen media computer.

Then, you got to figure out how to get rid of your old console. Because of its size, oversize shipping rates will apply. So, to sell it, you might need to sell it's parts separately and not all parts will sell in a reasonable period of time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
If you want to install a USB data port in the glove compartment, your not going to be able to do that easily with your Intel Atom media computer. The later cars with that glove compartment feature, have the newer AMD Ryzen media computer.
My brother’s March 2021 car has the USB data port in the glove compartment but no Ryzen.

My console came out from a crashed 2021 model and had data on both usb C's, yes the only thing I had to swap was the Authorization card reader.

Not exactly. The 26-pin Blue connector, starts with Model 3 build dates starting with Jan 2019. Prior to that, cars have the 20-pin White connector. You can still do the update swap, but need to either make a harness jumper/adapter with both 20-pin and 26-pin ends, or swap one of the incompatible harness connectors.

Swapping the Security controller (key-card reader) requires partial disassembly of both consoles and is not easy for a person doing for the first time. Releasing the clips without causing damage to the plastic pieces is tricky.

You need to figure out if your new 2.0 Center Console will includes a USB-C charging module that also supports data. Also, if the 2.0 Center Console's wiring harness has the USB data plug, some do not have one. You might need to install an aftermarket USB-C module supporting both charging and data.

Then, you got to figure out how to get rid of your old console. Because of its size, oversize shipping rates will apply. So, to sell it, you might need to sell it's parts separately and not all parts will sell in a reasonable period of time.
Thanks for the comprehensive information, that’s very useful :)

My 2.0 console is from an August 2021 M3P so I’m hoping that it will have the data USB module, although it’ll be pretty close to the cutoff I think.

Ideally I would have liked to have recreated the glovebox USB connector for Sentry but as I have a March 2020 M3P that’s not going to happen (useful info about lacking the USB3 port on the MCU, thanks)

I was already leaning towards not bothering to swap the security controller because of fears of damaging either console (which are both in mint condition) when disassembling them, and to be honest I want to swap the consoles in one go and not have to spend time in the middle doing that job. I’m aware it’ll brick my car in terms of not being able to drive it, but I can deal with that until mobile service turn up to pair the new security module.

Thanks again for the info.

Yeah not that easy with no write up on converting 20pin to 26pin harness for older guys.
I had these 20-pin to 26-pin adapters made. One is with an OBDII diagnostic plug, the other one is without the diagnostic plug. Cost for both was $30 USD with free shipping, plus taxes. They were just shipped today from China, so should be delivered in about two to three weeks.

2.0CenterConsole23.JPG

I sent the company that made these, the pinout diagram below, along with a rendering of what I wanted. I prepared the pinout diagram based on the Tesla Wiring diagrams. The company didn't have on hand all wires in the colors I prescribed, but only had to substitute for two colors.

CenterConsoleHarnessAdapter2.png

They said they used the "original connector housings" (what ever that means?), but if I ordered more, they could match all the wire colors I had requested and they also could substitute less expensive connector housings, which would reduce the cost. I'm not likely to buy any to resell. But if anyone is interested in purchasing these for their Pre Jan 2019 Model 3, contact the company directly with the messaging center on AliExpress.com.

The company (Honha Autoparts Group Co., Limited) sells on AliExpress.com under store name Honha Wire Harness Company Store. They sell automotive harness repair supplies, but also Tesla Model 3 OBDII diagnostic plug adapters.

Last edited:
I had these 20-pin to 26-pin adapters made. One is with an OBDII diagnostic plug, the other one is without the diagnostic plug. Cost for both was $30 USD with free shipping, plus taxes. They were just shipped today from China, so should be delivered in about two to three weeks.

View attachment 875410

I sent the company that made these, the pinout diagram below, along with a rendering of what I wanted. I prepared the pinout diagram based on the Tesla Wiring diagrams. The company didn't have on hand all wires in the colors I prescribed, but only had to substitute for two colors.

View attachment 875414

They said they used the "original connector housings" (what ever that means?), but if I ordered more, they could match all the wire colors I had requested and they also could substitute less expensive connector housings, which would reduce the cost. I'm not likely to buy any to resell. But if anyone is interested in purchasing these for their Pre Jan 2019 Model 3, contact the company directly with the messaging center on AliExpress.com.

The company (Honha Autoparts Group Co., Limited) sells on AliExpress.com under store name Honha Wire Harness Company Store automotive harness.
repair supplies, but also Tesla Model 3 OBDII diagnostic plug adapters.
Nice work on putting together the wiring spec comparison, so in about 3 weeks you should have your center console swapped? Already have the console ready?

Not yet. I bought a used 2.0 center console on eBay, but when it arrived, I found a few problems that the seller didn't disclose. Had a broken bin lamp switch and was missing rubber bumpers under the armrest and several screws missing. There was also disclosed damage to the 2.0 bright work plastic strip that surrounds the sliding bin lid. I only need to swap the armrest and console bin tray from my existing console. I have the new parts on order with my local Tesla Service Center and they are expected to be ready for pickup in two days.

Not yet. I bought a used 2.0 center console on eBay, but when it arrived, I found a few problems that the seller didn't disclose. Had a broken bin lamp switch and was missing rubber bumpers under the armrest and several screws missing. There was also disclosed damage to the 2.0 bright work plastic strip that surrounds the sliding bin lid. I only need to swap the armrest and console bin tray from my existing console. I have the new parts on order with my local Tesla Service Center and they are expected to be ready for pickup in two days.
Keep us updated on the swap! Have to post some before and after pics

Off topic but where should these rubber bumpers be? I’m not aware of any rubber bumpers on the armrest, and I don’t think I’ve got any on my 2.0 console or indeed the 1.0 one that came with my car brand new?

When you lift the armrest up to expose the rear bin, the bumpers are mounted in the front, one bumper on each side of the bin. They support the armrest in the front when the armrest is latched shut. You have to remove the side trim before the bumpers can be removed. because they slide in place from the outer sides.

Reactions: Durzel
Any update on your harness and console?
I have most of the parts now, but still waiting for delivery of a felt lined tray. I also want to do some testing of the inductive charger before doing the new console install.

Not mentioned on this thread, but on Tesla.com, in the 'Shop' store, Tesla sells a pair of felt lined trays for $30 USD. The notes there say they only fit the 2.0 Center Console, Not mentioned, is that the front bin of the 2.0 Console has ledges on the side walls to support a front bin tray. The rear bin tray is identical to the 1.0 Center Console.

2.0CenterConsole30.JPG

It's funny how much these trays sell for used on eBay. Not suprising, is that AliExpress.com sellers have the same felt lined trays (grey market) with shipping at half Tesla's price. AliExpress sellers also sell these trays without the felt lining, but each with silicone rubber floor matts for about the same price. Those may be better for viewing the inside of the trays at night and also easier to keep clean.