Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting ready to install mine. I built a 20->26 pin harness. I noticed that the inductive charger has 3 wires, 12v, ground and LIN bus. In an earlier post I see that the pin outs show that wire but not an equal on the 20 pin side. Did you hook up something to that wire?

There is more information about the console wiring for both pre and post 2.0 Consoles in another forum thread on the Tesla Owners Online web site, where I discussed harness differences, wiring details, connectors, and terminal release tools, early in this other forum thread: Link.. Tesla Owners Online, "Just swapped out my 2018 Console to 2021"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
@borland I just got mine. It has usb in the front console so I believe I will be able to use sentry there correct?

Mine came from eBay and it is missing the wireless charging module. I’ve contacted the seller.

Question. Would just missing that prevent that car from working? Like if I switched it now without the wireless charging port being plugged in?

I tried switching it yesterday without the wireless charger and thought it would work until I got it in. My car came on but wouldn’t shift into drive or anything. Could that be because of the charger or something else?
So the center console has to complete the circuit I believe in order for the security module to be active.
That's the only thing I could think of on that that everything has to connect in order to complete the circuit.

All the pieces need to be present to “complete the circuit”. Since the canbus is what provides the power to the entire center console, if the rear USB board isn’t there it’s got nowhere to go and no way to make its way up to the front.
I found that out because mine didn't come with the rear USBC board.
So I was having problems with mine getting power and data.
Not sure if it's the same for the front of the wireless charging module but I don't definitely that rear USB-C board if it's not in there it don't work right.

Apologies if this thread is dead.

I’m getting ready to do this retrofit on my early 2021 MY.

My 2.0 console came with the USB hub with data I believe, part number 17755200-00-B Rev04. I also bought the TParts adapter just in case, and it came with a miniUSB - miniUSB to attach to the MCU.

Do I actually need to do that step if the current USB hub is already data capable? I read this whole thread and am still not quite clear on this.

Apologies if this thread is dead.

I’m getting ready to do this retrofit on my early 2021 MY.

My 2.0 console came with the USB hub with data I believe, part number 17755200-00-B Rev04. I also bought the TParts adapter just in case, and it came with a miniUSB - miniUSB to attach to the MCU.

Do I actually need to do that step if the current USB hub is already data capable? I read this whole thread and am still not quite clear on this.
Does your current setup have data in the console or just in the glovebox? If you already have data in the console, then you don't need to run the new USB cable. When you pull out the console, you'll disconnect the existing USB cable. Basically half of it stays in the car and half of it get pulled out with the console (there's a connector in the middle that you'll need to disconnect before pulling out the console).

If your new 2.0 console does not have the other half of the USB/data cable already in the console, then you'll need to pull it out of the old console. It's easy, just a couple of clips and you can pull it out. Then you can reuse it in the new 2.0 to get data. Hopefully I'm making sense!

Does your current setup have data in the console or just in the glovebox? If you already have data in the console, then you don't need to run the new USB cable. When you pull out the console, you'll disconnect the existing USB cable. Basically half of it stays in the car and half of it get pulled out with the console (there's a connector in the middle that you'll need to disconnect before pulling out the console).

If your new 2.0 console does not have the other half of the USB/data cable already in the console, then you'll need to pull it out of the old console. It's easy, just a couple of clips and you can pull it out. Then you can reuse it in the new 2.0 to get data. Hopefully I'm making sense!
I don’t think I have data running to the glovebox as there isn’t a USB port in there, so my sentry USB drive is in the center console below the charger.

I haven’t pulled the 1.0 out yet as I’m waiting for some MagSafe adapters so that I can also do that mod (as seen here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel3/s/jMh4r2FBm8), and then I’ll slap everything on.

Has anyone with an Intel processor car, and the Tparts data module, start having intermittent use of the USB Camera recording? Recently it's stopped working consistently - showing as unavailable across multiple drives. When I reboot the car, it works - but then stops working a bit later.

I thought maybe the module was damaged, so I emailed Tparts - and they say it's a known issue with Intel cars, and some people are fine, but some people are not. I thought maybe the module is damaged, and after a few software updates, it's still wonky. I'm on the FSD 12 branch, so I'm curious if it may be related to that as well.

Has anyone with an Intel processor car, and the Tparts data module, start having intermittent use of the USB Camera recording? Recently it's stopped working consistently - showing as unavailable across multiple drives. When I reboot the car, it works - but then stops working a bit later.

I thought maybe the module was damaged, so I emailed Tparts - and they say it's a known issue with Intel cars, and some people are fine, but some people are not. I thought maybe the module is damaged, and after a few software updates, it's still wonky. I'm on the FSD 12 branch, so I'm curious if it may be related to that as well.
I'm having the exact same issue with mine and it's the official OEM Tesla data module It has nothing to do with aftermarket I think it's just a bug in the latest update
Quite a few people are mentioning it on Facebook Tesla groups, myself included.

Same exact things happening on like the last two updates it seems like the USB goes into deep sleep and doesn't wake up..
If you reboot the car it's totally fine everything works but once the car goes into deep sleep then it doesn't wake up and says USB IO error.
It's like stupid annoying but I'm hoping it's just some stupid bug with the latest FSD update that'll get fixed in the next one.
I'm glad it's not just me that it's happening to and it's not my Samsung t7 SSD device, Samsung magician reports no errors windows no errors I've reformatted the entire drive repartitioned it and still does the same thing with it not wanting to wake up and have the hard drive accessible after deep sleep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406_172156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_172156_Facebook.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240406_172206_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_172206_Facebook.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Durzel
Same exact things happening on like the last two updates it seems like the USB goes into deep sleep and doesn't wake up..
If you reboot the car it's totally fine everything works but once the car goes into deep sleep then it doesn't wake up and says USB IO error.
It's like stupid annoying but I'm hoping it's just some stupid bug with the latest FSD update that'll get fixed in the next one.
I'm glad it's not just me that it's happening to and it's not my Samsung t7 SSD device, Samsung magician reports no errors windows no errors I've reformatted the entire drive repartitioned it and still does the same thing with it not wanting to wake up and have the hard drive accessible after deep sleep
Thanks for this @davidalindsey - helpful to hear I'm not alone! Do you mind linking to the Facebook post? I'm curious to follow and see what other tips they have.

Thanks for this @davidalindsey - helpful to hear I'm not alone! Do you mind linking to the Facebook post? I'm curious to follow and see what other tips they have.

I’ve seen the same “low disk space” error in service mode, and occasional “USB device malfunction” (although I’ve never seen these alerts as active) as of a recent update. Hasn’t stopped Sentry or dashcam recording as expected so I’ve mostly ignored it.

Reactions: davidalindsey
How did you do the matrix headlights? Just with Toolbox? I was speaking to someone about doing this but I haven't yet sourced the headlights, and they wanted $500 to do it - which made it a more expensive proposition than I had hoped.

I wasn't able to get the Tesla tech to change my UI/app console to 2.0 - they said it wasn't something they had access to change. They showed me on the laptop that they were using that it was a field that wans't editable (at least by them). Would be interested to know if it is indeed possible.
Can you pm me as well? Following this thread, want to upgrade my sept 2019 m3p center console to the newer ones. Also debating on waiting for gen3 highland but idk if that would even be possible.
HI Could you share some detail about how to update the center console ui into 2.0?

HI Could you share some detail about how to update the center console ui into 2.0?
You just update gateway config ID 106 to 2 (BLACK_CONSOLE_2 for black interior) or 3 (WHITE_CONSOLE_2 for white interior).

It is worth noting that apparently in cars that came with the 2.0 Console from the factory there is an additional wire that turns the wireless pad on and off. This is not present on cars that didn't come with the console, so the wireless pad is always on while the car is awake, whether there is a phone present or not. Changing the gateway config to tell your car that it has this console will make it act like that wire is there, which could lead to problems.

I have not received any errors or alerts or noticed any problems, but I'm just mentioning it.

Once you change that config value the car and app will show your car as having the 2.0 console.

Attachments

• IMG_DC2E86C9BB57-1.jpeg
    IMG_DC2E86C9BB57-1.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Reactions: Adam3