Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Headlight black spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MY a few days ago, I remember reading that the headlights are improved, which they do seem brighter, but they have dark spots in the beam. Is this normal?

IMG_0075.jpg

I'm guessing you have an MYP because those look like the new Matrix lights.

Thats just "feature" of them.

I just picked up my model Y performance and at night there’s a noticeable dark spot/ shadow toward the left side of the car. Interestingly, I was the original poster of that thread regarding the new Y performance lights and I don’t remember seeing such a large shadow.

F7925560-4C27-4EC7-90B2-F5FB97DD6CFF.jpeg

507A6810-593C-4C9B-9289-0AE147F52C8F.jpeg

This 90 sec video explains the tech in the matrix projector headlights.

This 60 sec video shows what is technically possible with matrix projector headlights, and it's this functionality that is not currently approved for use in the US.
BTW, the new Infrastructure Bill signed in mid-November has changed this. Adaptative LED headlights are now allowed in the US:
I hope Tesla activates this feature in the MYP soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
I can echo all of this. When I picked up a new MYP about a month ago, I immediately noticed I had a "dark spot". I scheduled a service center call, for when I was going to pick up a new MYP for my wife. Picked that up today.

Service center today said that this dark spot is normal for the matrix lights and shooed me away.

Both MYP have this issue.

20211231_190827.jpg

Oops....looks like my new MYP needs a camera calibration!

20211231_183451.jpg

It can be hard trying to take a picture of the dark spots, but during the drive you can easily see the dark spots.

20211130_205034.jpg
20211130_210844.jpg
20211231_183709.jpg

Basically....it looks like the "matrix" lights, currently...are always having some leds not shine. Which seems dumb....they should have all of them shine until they update their software to make use of the adaptive headlights (which are now legal in the US). Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Reactions: Daekwan
I can echo all of this. When I picked up a new MYP about a month ago, I immediately noticed I had a "dark spot". I scheduled a service center call, for when I was going to pick up a new MYP for my wife. Picked that up today.

Service center today said that this dark spot is normal for the matrix lights and shooed me away.

Both MYP have this issue.

View attachment 750664

Oops....looks like my new MYP needs a camera calibration!

View attachment 750666

It can be hard trying to take a picture of the dark spots, but during the drive you can easily see the dark spots.

View attachment 750661View attachment 750662View attachment 750663

Basically....it looks like the "matrix" lights, currently...are always having some leds not shine. Which seems dumb....they should have all of them shine until they update their software to make use of the adaptive headlights (which are now legal in the US). Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
It looks like we have the same problem. But it’s weird that the dark spots are not symmetrical on my car. When looking at the dark spots on the wall 6 ft from the car they look the same. But while driving you only notice the left/ driver dark spot.

Below is me standing directly in front of the car. Yet the shadow is all the way to the driver side, and you barely see the passenger shadow.

Or maybe we both got a bad batch of lights. I took my delivery in November.

A4A8BDF5-80D3-4E72-AD52-A966BE9FF827.jpeg

AB113056-F9E3-44F2-9CDF-81EDE051C671.jpeg

I think its just default to showing 2 LEDs out when the matrix lights have no "software" behind them powering them. Like, the dark spots are now showing that you do have matrix headlights vs older lights, even though its annoying to have those 2 leds out.

That is my hope at least. I bet they disappear when Tesla actually adds the adaptive software to the headlights.

I've noticed the same dark spot on the left(driver's) side as pictured above on my 22 Model 3(picked up less than a month ago). I will ask the SC during my appointment for a trunk alignment issue today and report back with what they say to that.

I've noticed the same dark spot on the left(driver's) side as pictured above on my 22 Model 3(picked up less than a month ago). I will ask the SC during my appointment for a trunk alignment issue today and report back with what they say to that.
So I mentioned it to the Service Dept. yesterday and the guy gave me a look as if I told him a ghost appears when the headlights turn on. Anyways, he said he haven't heard of this "issue" before so I showed him the photos posted above. His suggestion was to include it in the next service visit and see what the techs say. 🤷‍♂️

So I mentioned it to the Service Dept. yesterday and the guy gave me a look as if I told him a ghost appears when the headlights turn on. Anyways, he said he haven't heard of this "issue" before so I showed him the photos posted above. His suggestion was to include it in the next service visit and see what the techs say. 🤷‍♂️
It's an inherent flaw of the design.

BTW, the new Infrastructure Bill signed in mid-November has changed this. Adaptative LED headlights are now allowed in the US:
I hope Tesla activates this feature in the MYP soon.
This is partially true. The Infrastructure Bill paved the way for "Adaptive driving beam headlamps" to become legal soon. The Transportation Secretary has 2 years from date of enactment to make this technology legal in the US. As of today it is not, which is why Tesla can't do anything with them yet.

We got some pretty decent fog this morning so wanted to share a few photos. That dark spot(line) is an eyesore. I hope it's fixable by a software update.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 2 - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 4 - Copy.jpg
    4 - Copy.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 362
Reactions: Chewy13
I complained to my service guy a month ago. The mobile tech came out and adjusted the headlights, while my car was on an inclined driveway! Sure enough he adjusted them way up blinded everyone on the road.

I contacted service again and asked them to replace my driver side headlight as the dark spot is way to the left. They agreed and we have an appointment to go in to the center at the end of the month. I’ll let you guys know.

I complained to my service guy a month ago. The mobile tech came out and adjusted the headlights, while my car was on an inclined driveway! Sure enough he adjusted them way up blinded everyone on the road.

I contacted service again and asked them to replace my driver side headlight as the dark spot is way to the left. They agreed and we have an appointment to go in to the center at the end of the month. I’ll let you guys know.
Any updates?