Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a service guy out today to to do some work I had scheduled so I asked about the seated wheel on the 3, and he said "Yes, all the 2021s have the same wheel and some are delivering with a FW thats not even in the SCs system". He plugged in his computer to see if he could enable the steering wheel heater on a chance that they updated their system to provide the ability to manually set it up, but its not even in their system to even set vehicles to the firmware that 3's are shipping with right now... thats how new this is he stated. He also said it will update at some point and all 2021s on with this wheel will have it.

Whether hes full of poop? We shall see....

Hi, I just had a Tesla Ranger come out and replace my dead right repeater camera. The Tesla Ranger that came out today has helped a few times before. So I asked if I could be shown what hardware is currently installed on my Model 3 and if the steering wheel heater hardware is there. Tesla Rangers can see every part that is currently installed on your vehicle both enabled and disabled. As we looked through the list of currently installed hardware the steering wheel heater is installed but disabled via software. I didn't ask for a picture because I didn't want them to get in trouble for showing me the Tesla proprietary software.

To the Tesla Ranger's knowledge and mine we believe it will be enabled in a future software release. Seeing that the steering wheel heater hardware is installed but not enabled is further proof that this should happen.

My Model 3 Build:
VIN: 879xxx
2021 Model 3 LR AWD
Delivery Date: 12/29/2020 (Dublin, CA)
Manufacture Date 12/2020
New headlights

I hope this helps others with determining if they have the hardware installed as well.
I've included pictures of my steering wheel.

IMG_0895.jpg IMG_0896.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I just had a Tesla Ranger come out and replace my dead right repeater camera. The Tesla Ranger that came out today has helped a few times before. So I asked if I could be shown what hardware is currently installed on my Model 3 and if the steering wheel heater hardware is there. Tesla Rangers can see every part that is currently installed on your vehicle both enabled and disabled. As we looked through the list of currently installed hardware the steering wheel heater is installed but disabled via software. I didn't ask for a picture because I didn't want them to get in trouble for showing me the Tesla proprietary software.

To the Tesla Ranger's knowledge and mine we believe it will be enabled in a future software release. Seeing that the steering wheel heater hardware is installed but not enabled is further proof that this should happen.

My Model 3 Build:
2021 Model 3 LR AWD
Manufacture Date 12/2020
New headlights

I hope this helps others with determining if they have the hardware installed as well.

View attachment 637876 View attachment 637877

Funny as I had one out today and did the same. I stated it right above your post. HAHA! Maybe they are on to something then.

Same steering wheel as yours.

2021 Model 3 LR AWD
VIN:856XXX
12/3/2020 Born // 12/18/2020 Delivered.

oh man, you've got to get over that. I was also concerned basically going from a satellite based music and Apple CarPlay to an all internet based system, and now I'd never go back. The music is totally excellent on the car and I don't miss Sirius one bit. Also, I can always just play Apple Music through the car bluetooth, easy peasy.

The real improvement is the GPS system in the Tesla....moving to Android or Apple would ruin the experience. Huge google earth map with supercharger status and traffic status included.....it's an entirely different experience level compared to anything I've had in our Volvo's and Audi's.
How do you listen to news stations like CNN?

My Model 3 Build:
2021 Model 3 LR AWD
Manufacture Date 12/2020
New headlights

View attachment 637876 View attachment 637877

My steering wheel looks the same.
VIN: 872xxx
2021 Model 3 Performance
Delivery Date : 12/31/2020
New Headlights