Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I also woke up to a heated steering wheel. August build M3 SR+ paid for heated seats in October. :D

heated wheel.jpg

Reactions: Lephturn
My Model 3 was built 11/1, and I took delivery 11/12 - it's a 2021 SR+
It's not clear if I should have this feature included with my car. According to the Tesla website here: Upgrades

Cold Weather Feature upgrade (including heated steering wheel):
  • The vehicle is a Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive or Model 3 Standard Range Plus.
  • The vehicle was delivered before November 1, 2021.
  • The vehicle was built with hardware for heated steering wheel and rear heated seats.
Rear Heated Seats upgrade:
  • The vehicle is a Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive or Model 3 Standard Range Plus.
  • The vehicle was delivered before November 1, 2021.
  • The vehicle was built with hardware for rear heated seats only (retrofits not available at this time).
For Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive and Model 3 Standard Range Plus vehicles built after November 1, 2021, a heated steering wheel and rear heated seats come standard.

If I read this correctly, this feature is available for cars delivered before 11/1, but comes standard for vehicles built after 11/1? Mine was built 11/1 😂

I have a model 3 performance, early 2021 model delivered on december 20th 2020. I just had a steering wheel replacement with the included heating element. Anyway I can have the heated steering wheel?
Same here.. except mine is a model 3 Long range. Early 2021, delivered in December. My steering wheel is the newer style and it seems like in Jan ‘21 is when Tesla started to deliver with the heated steering wheel.

Reactions: Lephturn
I thought I saw a couple of posts (maybe in a different thread?) saying the heated seats/steering wheel were now cheaper in the app? I think I saw someone say they were now $200, and another post said $270. Can anyone confirm if they're seeing this?

From what I read (can't checked since I already bought it several weeks ago), if you have rear seats only (before the 2021 refresh in January), you pay $200. If your M3 SR+ is from at least January 2021, then it's $300 for the rear seats and the steering wheel.

Someone mentioned that after he bought the $300 package, he called back Tesla to credit him the seats and he got refunded the $200. YMMV though.

So... Got my M3SR+ late Feb 2021, black trim, heat pump, new steering wheel. My app only says "heated read seats" for $270 (CDN). I called Tesla, got a guy (who hadn't heard about the winter package) but he looked it up, and after about 30 mins says "I do not have compatible hardware for heated steering wheel". Well F me.

I told him people who got theirs' in March have heated wheels, he was unable to give me a date, or a reason why mine wouldn't work...

I'm not 100% convinced he's right, but he did look it up, so chances are it won't work.

I picked up my M3SR last Saturday (4th Dec) - Bluewater UK, heated wheel and rear seats was available as an upgrade for £275 until last night when the option disappeared and both were available on the car. No icon for the wheel on the app, though but tested through the car and it is enabled.

Not sure why package was activated, I did complain about the state of the car when I picked up and suggested a sweetener but don't think this is the reason for the activation, which came out of the blue and is a pleasant surprise, makes up for the dirty new car!

Last edited:
Some people on Reddit were reporting that 2021 SR+ that were delivered after Nov 1st got their heated steering wheel & heated back seats activated without having to pay for it.
Oh, I think they paid for it. How much has the price of that model gone up since June? I paid $39,900. I had no problem paying the $300.00 for both heated rear seats and steering wheel. I live in Wisconsin.

So I upgraded to the most recent Tesla app available to me in the Google store last night, and this morning I saw that there was an option to turn on the heated steering wheel in the app on the climate screen! I have a '21 July-build SR+ and have not purchased the "cold climate package" with the heated seats and steering wheel.

However, when I toggled the heated steering on/off in the app, nothing happens. =/ There is also no option to turn on the heated steering wheel in the car's climate screen. Guess it's a bug in the latest Tesla app version. Owell.

Just noticed the software upgrade for heated rear seats including the steering wheel on my iPhone app. I have a March 2021 SR+ The price in BC Canada is $400 so I don’t see where others in Canada are getting prices $100 less. Unless it’s the typical BC taxes as usual. Not sure if it’s worth it especially when I don’t really want heated rear seats. I only want the heated steering wheel and I’d be happier if it was a separate purchase from the seats.

So I upgraded to the most recent Tesla app available to me in the Google store last night, and this morning I saw that there was an option to turn on the heated steering wheel in the app on the climate screen! I have a '21 July-build SR+ and have not purchased the "cold climate package" with the heated seats and steering wheel.

However, when I toggled the heated steering on/off in the app, nothing happens. =/ There is also no option to turn on the heated steering wheel in the car's climate screen. Guess it's a bug in the latest Tesla app version. Owell.
Heated steering wheel option present in app, but it does nothing when turned on.
wheel.jpg

So... Got my M3SR+ late Feb 2021, black trim, heat pump, new steering wheel. My app only says "heated read seats" for $270 (CDN). I called Tesla, got a guy (who hadn't heard about the winter package) but he looked it up, and after about 30 mins says "I do not have compatible hardware for heated steering wheel". Well F me.

I told him people who got theirs' in March have heated wheels, he was unable to give me a date, or a reason why mine wouldn't work...

I'm not 100% convinced he's right, but he did look it up, so chances are it won't work.
Speak to Tesla again and ask them to tell you what left body controller (VCLeft) you have in your car, per your VIN. I expect it's going to be 1567455-00-C or 1567455-00-D.

Once you've got that come back and I should be able to provide some information for you. Suffice to say that there is an internal document/process for activating the heated steering wheel on cars that can accept it (I'm guessing it's used for cars that turn up now without it active for whatever reason).

Reactions: RG-M3