Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MB S Class Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my S to try some new technology, and the first two years were fine. My wife has a Volvo XC90, and for now, we just trade cars for the day when I have to drive more than 200 miles in a day for work.

Those days are limited due to Covid, but it'll get interesting next year when that picks back up and she has to travel as well.

I like my S a lot, but I'm not committed to electric for life.

sounds like you might be the exception! :)

Once you go electric, you don't go back: survey shows less than 1% of EV owners want to go back to gas - Electrek

For me..I cant go backwards. ICE is so much more inefficient, slower, more complex to maintain and repair. Literally for ME...has zero benefits.

But I do believe in "to each his own".

sounds like you might be the exception! :)

Once you go electric, you don't go back: survey shows less than 1% of EV owners want to go back to gas - Electrek

For me..I cant go backwards. ICE is so much more inefficient, slower, more complex to maintain and repair. Literally for ME...has zero benefits.

But I do believe in "to each his own".

I guess that's nice for the 2000 folks in the UK that were polled (where they have over ~100 supercharger locations for 90,000 sq mi of land).

But for folks like me in Texas (~50 supercharger locations for 270,000 sq mi of land) who have to travel to areas in the middle of nowhere and back on a regular basis........

I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit for an hour or two in line to use one of the 3 functioning stalls at the Austin TX supercharger, and then charge at 30 kw for another two hours, just to make it halfway home where I have to charge again before getting back to my garage. I imagine you'll agree, that's not exactly inspiring...

I like electric power very much. And in many cases, it’s a win/win. But my original point was a reply to that guy saying everyone should buy an EV this afternoon, but it’s not the “solution for everyone”.....yet. We're still in the 'early adopter' stages so it still has quite a few drawbacks for folks that drive a lot outside of major cities.

In 10 years, I imagine that will not be a problem. Or at least that’s my hope, because I’d much rather ICE become a luxury reserved for classics and super cars (there’s still nothing quite like the sound of a big V8/V10/V12), and Diesel just for long haul freight with last-mile being all electric.

Reactions: All In
I guess that's nice for the 2000 folks in the UK that were polled (where they have over ~100 supercharger locations for 90,000 sq mi of land).

But for folks like me in Texas (~50 supercharger locations for 270,000 sq mi of land) who have to travel to areas in the middle of nowhere and back on a regular basis........

I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit for an hour or two in line to use one of the 3 functioning stalls at the Austin TX supercharger, and then charge at 30 kw for another two hours, just to make it halfway home where I have to charge again before getting back to my garage. I imagine you'll agree, that's not exactly inspiring...

I like electric power very much. And in many cases, it’s a win/win. But we're still in the 'early adopter' stages so it still has quite a few drawbacks for folks that drive a lot outside of major cities.

In 10 years, I imagine that will not be a problem. Or at least that’s my hope, because I’d much rather ICE become a luxury reserved for classics and super cars (there’s still nothing quite like the sound of a big V8/V10/V12), and Diesel just for long haul freight with last-mile being all electric.

Wow. I definitely see your point. A bit spoiled here in Virginia where Im fortunate enough to live just 5 miles from a supercharger station (which I rarely use, even with Free supercharging) another is about 12 miles away, and there are no fewer than 3 stations between here and the DC area, each right off of Interstate 95. Going the other way (south) a new one popped up a few weeks ago in Chesterfield, VA. So thats literally 6 Tesla supercharger locations within less than 120 miles total of one another. So yes, my perspective is definitely skewed.

Hope more SC stations come to your area soon

Wow. I definitely see your point. A bit spoiled here in Virginia where Im fortunate enough to live just 5 miles from a supercharger station (which I rarely use, even with Free supercharging) another is about 12 miles away, and there are no fewer than 3 stations between here and the DC area, each right off of Interstate 95. Going the other way (south) a new one popped up a few weeks ago in Chesterfield, VA. So thats literally 6 Tesla supercharger locations within less than 120 miles total of one another. So yes, my perspective is definitely skewed.

Hope more SC stations come to your area soon

Theyre working on it, lots in the works on Tesla's website (though some have been "in progress" since about 2016). Right now, the nearest supercharger to me is 26 miles away. If I didn’t have home charging, I’d be screwed. In the meantime, I really feel for folks living in apartments trying to stay charged right now, or share one charger for the whole complex.

With that said, I still love EVs. It'd be interesting if we did another "cash for clunkers" program where you were incentivized to buy into EVs, but I think prices will need to drop more before that happens.

It's also cool that most of my major customers are Big Oil companies, and they're all trying to transition into sustainable energy models....hell, Chevron just bought Chargepoint and is setting up a JV purely based around electrification, and BP is selling off all of their mid and downstream assets to focus on exploration and new energy sources.