Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the latest Mercedes S class adopt a lot of features from a Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Is it me drinking the proverbial Tesla Kool-aid or did the latest Mercedes Benz S class "adopt" a whole bunch of features that have been on a Model S for over 5 years now (some features even longer such as the minimalist interior and massive central screen)?

1. Pop out door handles
  2. Massive central portrait oriented screen that has replaced the majority of the buttons, dials and switches
  3. Personalized driver profiles (seat heating, HVAC settings, suspension height settings, seat position, steering, mirror position etc). I think the Tesla system is even better as its connected to the key fob (don't know if that is the case with the S class, so this may be the same or not)
  4. Summon

Don't get me wrong, I think the latest S class looks absolutely amazing on the inside, and the quality will be second to none, but I can't help but see so many things that were in our Model S's for so long now. That doesn't take anything away from the S class. I think its an amazing car overall.

I think the exterior is boring looking - they decided to play it safe.

The latest Porsche Panamera also adopted the minimalist interior (much fewer buttons etc) and the Taycan of course followed that as well.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
But they are still afraid to move into the 21st century by keeping their polluting, weak, high maintenance gas engines. WHY? Because it's what they've always done. I wouldn't support such a backwards-looking company now that I've driven Tesla. But if Mercedes can convince drivers that their brand is better just by putting in a little more leather inside, or adding heated cup holders or other world shaking features, well, it proves how people just don't get it. I think it's sad, personally.

Of course the Tesla kool-aid drinkers will not be able to see anywhere the Mercedes is better, but I like their screen layout, and most of the interior. Maybe it's not as nice as the Taycan's layout, but it's still better than the 3. I hope Tesla doesn't further minimalize the interior of the S. Generally I think "less is more" but there's nothing left in the 3 to enjoy.

Some of the interior flourishes are a little garish, such as the pinstriping on the dash, the speaker grills, and the bank of air vents in the center stack, but maybe they look different in person.

I think some of the uber-douches that buy Mercedes will be lured by Jensen's presence as one of their own touting the car. Same can be said for some down-to-earth people listening to Lewis Hamilton talking about what he likes. I think they're just trying to ensure their demographic isn't one note.

I have both Esses. 2015 MS 85D without premium upgrades, and the wife's 2019 S 560.
(She no like MS, says it is too complicated. Lol)

Things that are obvious...MB has outstanding fit, finish and leather. Better safety features, such as blind spot and cross traffic warning and head up display. Nice touches like sunshades and interior lighting, massaging seats.

Slower, and inferior UI and GUI and navigation. The distronic is no autopilot. Data is not free, can't get tune in without paying. Like 47 switches in the cockpit, you need a flight engineer to use properly.

At nearly twice the price, you have to REALLY like leather and the comfort features for it make sense...or be a MB fanboi.

Of course the Tesla kool-aid drinkers will not be able to see anywhere the Mercedes is better, but I like their screen layout, and most of the interior. Maybe it's not as nice as the Taycan's layout, but it's still better than the 3. I hope Tesla doesn't further minimalize the interior of the S. Generally I think "less is more" but there's nothing left in the 3 to enjoy.

Some of the interior flourishes are a little garish, such as the pinstriping on the dash, the speaker grills, and the bank of air vents in the center stack, but maybe they look different in person.

I think some of the uber-douches that buy Mercedes will be lured by Jensen's presence as one of their own touting the car. Same can be said for some down-to-earth people listening to Lewis Hamilton talking about what he likes. I think they're just trying to ensure their demographic isn't one note.

Wow bringing a Tesla Model 3 into the conversation in a comparison with a Mercedes Benz S class? That in and of itself tells me that the S-Class even by your own standards must be fairly weak as a flagship vehicle. The Model 3 is in no way in the same class as the Mercedes flagship. And if the Model 3 is in the same stratosphere then I'm really failing to understand your point.

Wow bringing a Tesla Model 3 into the conversation in a comparison with a Mercedes Benz S class? That in and of itself tells me that the S-Class even by your own standards must be fairly weak as a flagship vehicle. The Model 3 is in no way in the same class as the Mercedes flagship. And if the Model 3 is in the same stratosphere then I'm really failing to understand your point.

There's been a lot of talk about the S and Cybertruck interior being as minimal as the 3, perhaps with just a slightly larger screen. Of course this is mostly speculation (except that we've seen the CT interior and it does have a single screen), but the 3 is Tesla's latest work, and if the trend continues, I don't like it.

Speaking of weak flagships, is there much of a difference between the S and the 3 finish and trim? Or in general? Most would recognize the 3 as spartan and sparse, and if you’ve owned one, cheap. Seriously, bag hooks, arm rests, etc are too much. What does that say about the S as a flagship? Maybe that’s why S sales have cratered?

If Tesla can build an EV with the range, acceleration, and handling of the M3, I’d hope for $40k more they could build an actual flagship sedan. Lets see this new S already!

C'mon....

I have a hard time believing that such educated, tech-savvy types are so easily overwhelmed and intimidated by buttons. Now, poorly executed, wheel-driven menus are agreeably a PITA.
2000 hr commercial pilot here...used to buttons....much prefer the Tesla UI...and the voice commands to set climate close menu navigate to, etc make up for the need to always touch the screen.

Voice commands in Tesla still suck compared to the newer Benzes though. You have to press a button on the steering wheel in the Tesla, you do not in the Benz, so it's more effortless.

So yeah Mercedes actually has the best of both worlds there, IMO.

I don't know why Tesla can't so this considering this tech has been on phones for many years now.