Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MB S Class Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many owners went from MB to Tesla but the difference in interior appointment, look and finish (plus wear and tear) is/was striking.

But in a bow to Elon, Mercedes Benz has gone for a minimalist look in the 2021 edition of the S Class. Gone is the instrument cluster with numerous buttons and dials. It even has auto-presenting door handles. And over the air upgrades for L3 autonomy?

I can affirm and attest to the fact that the instrument and center console screens in a MB will never weep gooey stuff like the two screens in my Tesla does.

The powertrain is still stuck in the 1980s but that will change soon enough. You must try and get the feel of seating in and driving a Benz for an expensive car has always been about the coachwork. I do agree that Utility Vehicles burrowing underground can do without the luxury of good leather and a well appointed wooden dashboard though.

Do i hear rumours of a merger? That can only be a good thing.

Go for a test drive today. Its like comparing an IBM PC of old to the Apple. Meanwhile, I feel like smashing a glass screen or two ; - )

Attachments

• 2021 MB S Class Interior.JPG
    2021 MB S Class Interior.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 204
Alas, I hate feeding a likely troll, but the MB would be a fine choice but for the fact that Chemistry and Physics are, actually, real. Sorry, but science just doesn't care what you believe--it's all about laws of nature.

So dumping more GHG's via a new S-class is a really stupid thing to be doing when Teslas exist--it places life on our planet in great peril; see:

News | Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s

So just stop it--ICE vehicles need to be headed to the crusher ASAP. Buying new ones just adds to the problem.

Thx.

Not sure what that comment has to do with interior quality. It's like you replied to the wrong thread. Eco terrorists are terrible EV evangelists BTW.

I think the MB has a pretty nice interior overall, though I also think the pinstriped dash options are a little over the top along with all the accent lighting. It'd be nice if the next iteration of the S has a more functional interior with nicer materials, but I'm not holding my breath. Nothing I've seen in the 3, Y, or CT prototypes lend themselves to Tesla coming out of their minimalist shell or investing money in interior comfort.

Not sure what that comment has to do with interior quality. It's like you replied to the wrong thread. Eco terrorists are terrible EV evangelists BTW.

I think the MB has a pretty nice interior overall, though I also think the pinstriped dash options are a little over the top along with all the accent lighting. It'd be nice if the next iteration of the S has a more functional interior with nicer materials, but I'm not holding my breath. Nothing I've seen in the 3, Y, or CT prototypes lend themselves to Tesla coming out of their minimalist shell or investing money in interior comfort.

Yes, of course.

If the facts don't match your world view, just ignore them.

"Don't worry, be happy!"

Thankfully, we have many adults here that change their worldviews to match the real world facts . . . and then they act (such as, by not buying a leather-filled S-Class). Let's call it like it is: if we're to have a usable planet then we'd better have a LOT more adults, ASAP.

p.s. You'll want to study up on this. It's best to not use logical fallacies on a forum--not a good look:

Your logical fallacy is ad hominem

Reactions: replicant
I really, really don't get it.

"beatle" ostensibly drives a 2015 Model S P85DL+, yet he posts as if over a century of GHG dumping is just one of those things, a mere trifle, and that the appearance of the new S-Class interior is of consequence.

When presented with damning evidence of an impending, planetary-scale crisis on our one and only planet, beatle presents us with middle school attacks on the messenger rather than address the facts of the crisis.

Perhaps a teenager from Sweden might, just maybe, break through beatle's remarkable, yet incomprehensible, intellectual wall?

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1337091285182803968?s=20

Now, more than ever, is a time for all of the adults in the room to step up and ACT.

ACT means:

1. Sell, trade-in, and/or crush personal ICE vehicles. (And STOP buying ICE vehicles STAT.)

2. Replace those vehicles with EV's, preferably Teslas.

3. Install many solar panels.

4. Remove methane (ie. "natural") gas service.

5. Ask others to do the same, REPEATEDLY.

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”
― Anna Lappe

We really must have more adults "voting" for usable planet. There is no other choice.

More specifically it's best just ignore completely non sequitur discussions. Nothing to see here!

You mention feeding the trolls in your first post. Now there's some advice I should have taken!

I'm sorry beatle, but just a reminder: we're all still waiting for your sciential links advising that we can go ahead a keep murdering billions of animals a year for their skins (many of which will end up in the new S-Class interior), without the massive negative environmental impact.

Surely you have them, right?

There's a reason Elon has installed animal-free interiors in Teslas for years now--perhaps a review of the facts will drop your admiration for MBZ interiors, assuming logic, facts, and morality, still matter . . . .

• Funny
Reactions: beatle
Eco terrorists are terrible EV evangelists BTW.

I agree with you. I didn’t buy my P90D because it was “green,” I bought it because it was fastest car to 60 mph that I could afford. There are far larger polluters than your average commuter, and it would be far easier for them to make swift and substantial change than me in just my little car.

From an interior standpoint, I was coming from a BMW M5, and there were a lot of trade offs when buying the S. It was (and still is) tough to look past Tesla’s shotty build quality, unimpressive interior, and god awful service. There is absolutely no doubt that when buying a Tesla you’re paying to be a test bed of new technology, not for any luxury. I’ve had Chevy rental cars with more luxury than my $130k S. Hell, my old ‘72 S class has a better equipped interior, minus the big screen.

but the speed is quite the hook.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I didn’t buy my P90D because it was “green,” I bought it because it was fastest car to 60 mph that I could afford. There are far larger polluters than your average commuter, and it would be far easier for them to make swift and substantial change than me in just my little car.

From an interior standpoint, I was coming from a BMW M5, and there were a lot of trade offs when buying the S. It was (and still is) tough to look past Tesla’s shotty build quality, unimpressive interior, and god awful service. There is absolutely no doubt that when buying a Tesla you’re paying to be a test bed of new technology, not for any luxury. I’ve had Chevy rental cars with more luxury than my $130k S. Hell, my old ‘72 S class has a better equipped interior, minus the big screen.

but the speed is quite the hook.

Im coming from a E55 AMG and yes, the drama free acceleration that's instant was the main driver for me. The lack of emissions and all of the green planet stuff, was admittedly, not much of a factor at all, in my decision

I think its funny many people tend to think the main reason some of us bought a tesla was because we are all for going green. truth is lot of us car people just like the performance aspects of the vehicle & tech. I'm still out hooning my Lexus IS-F ICE car without CATs just to make TSLA PILOT cry.

Agreed. That mentality reminds me of the Smug Alert episode of South Park:

thanks.jpg

I make environmentally conscious decisions as much as I reasonably can, but my car purchase was driven by performance and autopilot. Technically, my S is partially powered by coal and was delivered on the back of a Diesel truck....

But to OP's point, basically *all* of Tesla's German competitors do an exponentially better job of delivering interior design, features and luxury.

Last edited:
I think its funny many people tend to think the main reason some of us bought a tesla was because we are all for going green. truth is lot of us car people just like the performance aspects of the vehicle & tech. I'm still out hooning my Lexus IS-F ICE car without CATs just to make TSLA PILOT cry.

My tesla story: December 2017, I literally had placed an order for a 2016 Cadillac CTS-V from CarMax/requested that it be shipped to my local Carmax for my purchase. Next day Carmax called and said someone local at the original carmax (1 state away) snatched it up before it could be shipped to me/my local carmax. Later that same day, a good friend (Model X owner) who knew I was car shopping called me and said his Tesla SA had found a 2017 Inventory Model S with less than 1200 miles on it that fit my planned budget, but that I'd have to get in front of the computer as soon as she listed it, otherwise, it would be gone in minutes. (this is when Tesla did HUGE markdowns on inventory cars). So I quickly purchased the Model S sight unseen until it arrived at my local SC.

So, I literally was that close from driving a Cadillac right now. The irony? In 2020 I Sold my E55 AMG, sold another classic 560 Benz that I had restored, sold my wifes Lexus SUV(she has a 2021 Y now). And I have zero plans to ever go back to ICE vehicles at this point.

All mostly due to fate.

My tesla story: December 2017, I literally had placed an order for a 2016 Cadillac CTS-V from CarMax/requested that it be shipped to my local Carmax for my purchase. Next day Carmax called and said someone local at the original carmax (1 state away) snatched it up before it could be shipped to me/my local carmax. Later that same day, a good friend (Model X owner) who knew I was car shopping called me and said his Tesla SA had found a 2017 Inventory Model S with less than 1200 miles on it that fit my planned budget, but that I'd have to get in front of the computer as soon as she listed it, otherwise, it would be gone in minutes. (this is when Tesla did HUGE markdowns on inventory cars). So I quickly purchased the Model S sight unseen until it arrived at my local SC.

So, I literally was that close from driving a Cadillac right now. The irony? In 2020 I Sold my E55 AMG, sold another classic 560 Benz that I had restored, sold my wifes Lexus SUV(she has a 2021 Y now). And I have zero plans to ever go back to ICE vehicles at this point.

All mostly due to fate.

I bought my S to try some new technology, and the first two years were fine. My wife has a Volvo XC90, and for now, we just trade cars for the day when I have to drive more than 200 miles in a day for work.

Those days are limited due to Covid, but it'll get interesting next year when that picks back up and she has to travel as well.

I like my S a lot, but I'm not committed to electric for life.

LOL! I could make TSLA PILOT cry too, since I am a real pilot flying 737's and go thru maybe 400,000 pounds of jet fuel a month ...

Indeed. Efficiency is its own Virtue. Tesla has cool technology and great performance, which is why I ordered my MS. I suspect Henry Ford would have used electric propulsion had there been a mobile power source up to the task.

Had my only exposure to Tesla been the Green Religion zealots, I would never have looked further. It's repulsive to see people use "The Science" as a cloak of virtue signaling moral superiority. Such people don't understand science. It is not something you "believe in" - that is religion. And "The Science" is not all-knowing, infallible, or even in complete agreement. In fact, proper science is Skeptical.

OTOH, it is rather amusing to see True Believers fall for simple Jedi Mind Tricks like exaggerated vertical scales in graphs and the use of large numbers, like Antarctica losing 250 gigatons of ice per year. Antarctica has some 26,500,000 gigatons of ice.

Who here is "adult" enough to divide those big numbers and see how microscopic the loss is?

Oh, by the way, "The Science" tells us we are living in one of the the colder portions of the Holocene, and the ice sheets did just fine during much warmer interstadials.

Paleo Data Search | Study | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Back on topic, I'm hoping my MS comes with the much-rumored interior refresh.

Agreed. That mentality reminds me of the Smug Alert episode of South Park:

thanks.jpg

I make environmentally conscious decisions as much as I reasonably can, but my car purchase was driven by performance and autopilot. Technically, my S is partially powered by coal and was delivered on the back of a Diesel truck....

But to OP's point, basically *all* of Tesla's German competitors do an exponentially better job of delivering interior design, features and luxury.

LMAO, I forgot how good and topical South Park can be sometimes.

I suspect Henry Ford would have used electric propulsion had there been a mobile power source up to the task.

They did, actually. Electric cars have been around for a long, long time - even in 1902, the Baker Electric car went 100 miles on a charge using Thomas Edison batteries, and in cities like NYC and LA there were hundreds of charging stations all around the city. BUT, just like we're talking about here, they fell victim to their marketing choices.

Early electric cars were viewed as "women's cars" because gas cars were still very 'manual' at the time (manual crank, shifting, timing, choke, gas lights, etc). EVs were, by comparison, much easier to drive and own, so great cars for women.

Trouble is, the vast majority of drivers at the time were Men. So while EVs were 100% maintenance free and easy to use even then, the marketing focus of "a car for women" killed their appeal to men, and they didn't sell.

Here's a video from Jay Leno on his Baker Electric, it's REALLY cool if you haven't seen it. Shows the car, its features, the original charger, and they take it for a spin:

(Oh, and its interior is still nicer than the Model 3).

• Love
Reactions: sam2035
They did, actually. Electric cars have been around for a long, long time - even in 1902, the Baker Electric car went 100 miles on a charge using Thomas Edison batteries, and in cities like NYC and LA there were hundreds of charging stations all around the city. BUT, just like we're talking about here, they fell victim to their marketing choices.

Early electric cars were viewed as "women's cars" because gas cars were still very 'manual' at the time (manual crank, shifting, timing, choke, gas lights, etc). EVs were, by comparison, much easier to drive and own, so great cars for women.

Trouble is, the vast majority of drivers at the time were Men. So while EVs were 100% maintenance free and easy to use even then, the marketing focus of "a car for women" killed their appeal to men, and they didn't sell.

Here's a video from Jay Leno on his Baker Electric, it's REALLY cool if you haven't seen it. Shows the car, its features, the original charger, and they take it for a spin:

(Oh, and its interior is still nicer than the Model 3).

How interesting!

A similar thing happened to Miller Brewing when they launched Miller Lite in the 1960's. It was viewed as a Ladies Beer and men (the largest consumers of the product) would not touch it. It was a total flop.

They relaunched sometime in the 1970's and all of their ads (for many years) featured famous retired football players endorsing Lite to send the message that it was ok for men to drink the watery swill.

And as they say, the rest is history.

• Funny
Reactions: sam2035
That soapbox TSLA PILOT is on must be really high and far away. Maybe no charging station there for the return flight. Just love it when the adults bully you into their thoughts. Lov Amy Tesla and Ram 1500 with the big Hemi. And I don't "need" two vehicles.

Global warming is real, and a real problem. The OTHER (non-CO2) emissions from fossil fuels are also very harmful. And, at the very very least, electric drive is dramatically more efficient than ICE, and therefore to be preferred when possible.
TSLA PILOT has his own way of trying to bring everyone around to that realisation. It may not be the most effective, but at least it's sincere and generous.
Science IS scepticism- and the science tells us that we should be more careful and conservative of the planet's ecosystem.
Make your own choices, but don't cherry-pick the data that suits your agenda.
Back on topic- I wish my Tesla was as fabulous inside as the S-class Mercs and the top-end Audis- they are gorgeous.

• Love
Reactions: replicant
Global warming is real, and a real problem. The OTHER (non-CO2) emissions from fossil fuels are also very harmful. And, at the very very least, electric drive is dramatically more efficient than ICE, and therefore to be preferred when possible.
TSLA PILOT has his own way of trying to bring everyone around to that realisation. It may not be the most effective, but at least it's sincere and generous.
Science IS scepticism- and the science tells us that we should be more careful and conservative of the planet's ecosystem.
Make your own choices, but don't cherry-pick the data that suits your agenda.
Back on topic- I wish my Tesla was as fabulous inside as the S-class Mercs and the top-end Audis- they are gorgeous.

I think everyone agrees that electric propulsion is more efficient and that global warming is a real thing. I don't doubt that in another 50 years, ICE will be a distinct minority - but for now, EVs are still expensive with limited practicality from the view of the average consumer (though as we all know, they're getting better by the month).

The comments here are that not everyone buys an EV purely to save the planet. I bought mine for autopilot (Tesla was the only one with a decent system at the time), and for the speed. I'm also a germaphobe and hate gas stations. The green-ness is a good perk, assuming the car stays on the road long enough to offset the emissions from its production.

Oh, and that the new S class has a baller interior compared to the S.