Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the latest Mercedes S class adopt a lot of features from a Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands in Tesla still suck compared to the newer Benzes though. You have to press a button on the steering wheel in the Tesla, you do not in the Benz, so it's more effortless.

So yeah Mercedes actually has the best of both worlds there, IMO.

I don't know why Tesla can't so this considering this tech has been on phones for many years now.
So what happens when the car reacts to something you said but you're not talking to the car?

Speaking of weak flagships, is there much of a difference between the S and the 3 finish and trim? Or in general? Most would recognize the 3 as spartan and sparse, and if you’ve owned one, cheap. Seriously, bag hooks, arm rests, etc are too much. What does that say about the S as a flagship? Maybe that’s why S sales have cratered?

If Tesla can build an EV with the range, acceleration, and handling of the M3, I’d hope for $40k more they could build an actual flagship sedan. Lets see this new S already!

Well actually I never made mention of Model S. My only point was the drawing of a comparison between model 3 and Mercedes S-Class didn't seem to make much sense based on price point. Among other things. However you may be surprised to find that I agree with you I think for what you get in a Model 3 in terms of range battery tech performance etc there really is no justification for the Model S at some 2x the price point of a Model 3. Unless one just must have the size or the style or something Model S offers or who knows what? for me I happen to really like the minimalist interiors found in Tesla vehicles when I first got my Model S it was so refreshing to have the interior be devoid of all the useless clutter. I quickly grew accustomed to that now anything else just seems overly busy and garish to me.

and for the record since you went there I'm pretty sure there's not that much difference in the fit and finish, trim etc between a Mercedes S-Class and a Mercedes E-Class.

Voice commands in Tesla still suck compared to the newer Benzes though. You have to press a button on the steering wheel in the Tesla, you do not in the Benz, so it's more effortless.

So yeah Mercedes actually has the best of both worlds there, IMO.

I don't know why Tesla can't so this considering this tech has been on phones for many years now.

"Newer Benzes", being the operative words there. My Model S is a 2012 and I have the same voice command capability as a 2020 Model S got any 2012 Mercedes Benz has that have voice command capability? And that is as capable as their current offerings?

That said I have to admit that I have no experience with Mercedes-Benz current voice commands, their operation, or how good they may or may not be, actually I've never owned a Mercedes Benz of any kind never really found them to be particularly special or having some quality that would draw me in. Having been in Germany never really saw the allure if you go over there their as common as Chevrolet's, used as taxis and such. No real huge status symbol over there oh, pretty much like Italian shoes are no big deal in Italy.

Well actually I never made mention of Model S. My only point was the drawing of a comparison between model 3 and Mercedes S-Class didn't seem to make much sense based on price point. Among other things. However you may be surprised to find that I agree with you I think for what you get in a Model 3 in terms of range battery tech performance etc there really is no justification for the Model S at some 2x the price point of a Model 3. Unless one just must have the size or the style or something Model S offers or who knows what?
That's precisely why I got a used Model S - to negate the price difference as the size, style of the S just trounce the 3. Each to his/her own as we all have different value propositions on what its important. After sitting in a 3 and seeing how cramped it was in the back seat and practically rubbing shoulders with anyone in the front seat, there was no way I was going to get one (I put down a reservation on one back in 2016). The newer tech (faster battery charging, better efficiency, faster MCU) is clearly better than what's on my 2016 S, however in real world practical usage for my purposes, I don't miss any of that in the slightest.

"Newer Benzes", being the operative words there. My Model S is a 2012 and I have the same voice command capability as a 2020 Model S got any 2012 Mercedes Benz has that have voice command capability? And that is as capable as their current offerings?

That said I have to admit that I have no experience with Mercedes-Benz current voice commands, their operation, or how good they may or may not be, actually I've never owned a Mercedes Benz of any kind never really found them to be particularly special or having some quality that would draw me in. Having been in Germany never really saw the allure if you go over there their as common as Chevrolet's, used as taxis and such. No real huge status symbol over there oh, pretty much like Italian shoes are no big deal in Italy.

No idea. I imagine voice commands work for navigation on the older Benzes? Not a MB fan or expert by any means.

I only use the Tesla voice commands for navigation, and it's pretty much the same as any other car in that regard. I tried to figure out how to use the voice commands to open the sunroof but it never worked so I just gave up. Seems to be much faster to just press the button anyway.

That's precisely why I got a used Model S - to negate the price difference as the size, style of the S just trounce the 3. Each to his/her own as we all have different value propositions on what its important. After sitting in a 3 and seeing how cramped it was in the back seat and practically rubbing shoulders with anyone in the front seat, there was no way I was going to get one (I put down a reservation on one back in 2016). The newer tech (faster battery charging, better efficiency, faster MCU) is clearly better than what's on my 2016 S, however in real world practical usage for my purposes, I don't miss any of that in the slightest.

I came to the same conclusion. I liked the S interior design much more than the 3, as well as the heated steering wheel, moonroof, tan interior, extra storage space, presenting door handles, and air suspension. Of course that meant I had to settle for a used car with slightly less range, slower charging, a slower MCU, and a tombstoned (but well functioning) autopilot system, but they were tradeoffs I am still happy with.

Well actually I never made mention of Model S. My only point was the drawing of a comparison between model 3 and Mercedes S-Class didn't seem to make much sense based on price point. Among other things. However you may be surprised to find that I agree with you I think for what you get in a Model 3 in terms of range battery tech performance etc there really is no justification for the Model S at some 2x the price point of a Model 3. Unless one just must have the size or the style or something Model S offers or who knows what? for me I happen to really like the minimalist interiors found in Tesla vehicles when I first got my Model S it was so refreshing to have the interior be devoid of all the useless clutter. I quickly grew accustomed to that now anything else just seems overly busy and garish to me.

and for the record since you went there I'm pretty sure there's not that much difference in the fit and finish, trim etc between a Mercedes S-Class and a Mercedes E-Class.
Yes, I mentioned the Model S, as it’s similar to the quality/trim of the Model 3. Hence, your objection to comparing a S class to a M3 falls short, given comparing it to a Model S doesn’t change things. Price point doesn’t matter for Tesla’s, they’re generally all poor when it comes to fit, finish, and trim.

You’re incorrect, there’s usually a notable difference in luxury and trim difference between $45k and $100k Mercedes

Yes, I mentioned the Model S, as it’s similar to the quality/trim of the Model 3. Hence, your objection to comparing a S class to a M3 falls short, given comparing it to a Model S doesn’t change things. Price point doesn’t matter for Tesla’s, they’re generally all poor when it comes to fit, finish, and trim.

You’re incorrect, there’s usually a notable difference in luxury and trim difference between $45k and $100k Mercedes

Okay well, enjoy your Mercedes-Benz's.

No idea. I imagine voice commands work for navigation on the older Benzes? Not a MB fan or expert by any means.

I only use the Tesla voice commands for navigation, and it's pretty much the same as any other car in that regard. I tried to figure out how to use the voice commands to open the sunroof but it never worked so I just gave up. Seems to be much faster to just press the button anyway.

last time I tried opening the panoramic roof wasn't a recognized command as I recall. I think there's a comprehensive list floating around somewhere of what the system can and can't do in terms of what commands it will accept however for the most part I just push the button and try I've been surprised at some of the things that it can do and also baffled why it cannot do other things. For me it's just been trial and error. I do know there's a list but I have no interest in trying to find it and or memorize it or look at it to see if the car is capable if it can't do it I'll just use manual controls. Lol

I came to the same conclusion. I liked the S interior design much more than the 3, as well as the heated steering wheel, moonroof, tan interior, extra storage space, presenting door handles, and air suspension. Of course that meant I had to settle for a used car with slightly less range, slower charging, a slower MCU, and a tombstoned (but well functioning) autopilot system, but they were tradeoffs I am still happy with.

As did I the Model S just offered a combination of size, storage capability, performance, economy, utility and style that the Model 3 cannot match. In fact that almost nothing out there can match.

The primary advantages (range and faster charging on the road) that the Model 3 offered over the Model S are really not anything that are deal breakers in my wheelhouse or in my use case scenario.

As far as all of the high praise for the garish interiors in Mercedes Benz with eleventy push buttons and knobs and so forth are really not appealing to me either. The clean uncluttered interior of the Model S was a game-changer for me. It made me realize that I really didn't need all that other clutter and that the driving experience is so much better without it. But again that's just me.

As it stands currently I just don't see any other vehicle in the marketplace that would compel me to move from my Model S or Tesla in particular aside from perhaps another Model S. That is assuming that I either wear out my current 2012 Signature or decide to mothball it and preserve it as one of the original cars and a survivor.

Is it me drinking the proverbial Tesla Kool-aid or did the latest Mercedes Benz S class "adopt" a whole bunch of features that have been on a Model S for over 5 years now (some features even longer such as the minimalist interior and massive central screen)?

1. Pop out door handles
  2. Massive central portrait oriented screen that has replaced the majority of the buttons, dials and switches
  3. Personalized driver profiles (seat heating, HVAC settings, suspension height settings, seat position, steering, mirror position etc). I think the Tesla system is even better as its connected to the key fob (don't know if that is the case with the S class, so this may be the same or not)
  4. Summon

Don't get me wrong, I think the latest S class looks absolutely amazing on the inside, and the quality will be second to none, but I can't help but see so many things that were in our Model S's for so long now. That doesn't take anything away from the S class. I think its an amazing car overall.

I think the exterior is boring looking - they decided to play it safe.

The latest Porsche Panamera also adopted the minimalist interior (much fewer buttons etc) and the Taycan of course followed that as well.

I used to love mercedes. Actually I still have my first one parked in my garage....sentimental value.... Honestly though Mercedes suck! They do. German Engineering? HA! Bunch of baloney. The Japanese and Koreans....now they are making amazing cars. I get the feeling China is trying to be the next one.

I used to love mercedes. Actually I still have my first one parked in my garage....sentimental value.... Honestly though Mercedes suck! They do. German Engineering? HA! Bunch of baloney. The Japanese and Koreans....now they are making amazing cars. I get the feeling China is trying to be the next one.
Agree, China is a leader in EV, and because of that will eventually be the leader in automotive manufacturing. Likely in autonomous/AI driving too, as their policies facilitate