Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MiC Model 3 LR Strange Vibration Related To Climate Control...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So, noticed it tonight when I pulled over to finish off a phone call. The best way I can describe it is when something like a heavy truck drives past your house, and you get that brief second where everything vibrates and there's a very low bass tone......

Yeah worst description ever I know.

But anyway, did some testing on the drive way. Was doing it about every 30 seconds. Turned the fans off and it stopped.

Now, every time I switch the fans back on, it does it immediately. Only lasts a split second and stops. You can feel the vibration through the car though.

IF I had to guess i'd say the fan/fans are wobbling ever so slightly at a certain slow speed?

Just wondering if its common or yet another issue to stick on next weekends SC visit?

There are a few threads on this in the model 3 sub forum, for all 2021 refresh cars with the heat pump. It's been described by others as a low frequency rumbling sound.

I would describe it like a subwoofer hum for a second or two. I hear it too in my car, doesn't always happen and I think ambient temperature has something to do with it.

Well that actually makes me feel better. Had the car about a month now and this is the first time I've ever noticed it, probably because i've normally got music on.

Hadn't seen any posts on it before and nothing showed up when I created this one, but now the "similar thread" bit below is full of them...lol typical.

Cheers guys.

I also have the same on a December 2020 delivery M3 LR with the heat pump. I didn’t notice anything through winter when the heat pump was pushing hot air. Since it’s now getting warmer the A/C is running. The first time I heard it I thought the car next to me had a loud sub. I can’t hear it driving but that might be down to tire noise. It’s a bit of a nuisance in an otherwise quiet car so hope it’s fixed with a software update.

I reported this issue and dropped it into the service centre to be checked a few weeks ago.
They confirmed it is the heat pump and that it is ramping up too aggressively. They are aware of the issue and there will be a fix in a future software update to even out the heat pump RPM
FYI this is what they said in my service report:

“Noise is caused by heat pump due to firmware parameters, a firmware fix has already been integrated into a future firmware release and this will combat issue. This noise does not indicate a failed component and no damage is being caused as this noise occurs.”

FYI this is what they said in my service report:

“Noise is caused by heat pump due to firmware parameters, a firmware fix has already been integrated into a future firmware release and this will combat issue. This noise does not indicate a failed component and no damage is being caused as this noise occurs.”

Well guess that explains it. I'll probably ask the question next week but if its something that will be adjusted soon then no biggie.

I get this pulsing ultra-low frequency vibration occasionally too. I usually only notice it when parked up and it doesn't do it all the time. But I think it's actually quite a cool feature! It's the sort of thing I would expect to feel on the bridge of the Star Trek Enterprise while engaging warp drive. It gives a sense of looming electrical power!

Reactions: Billbrown1982