Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it? Two thinner pieces of glass with air in between vs one solid piece of glass? Not sure about quieter. Maybe better for holding in heat or coolness, but not sure about sound reduction. It would be nice once these new windows start rolling out for someone to do a sound comparison between the two different window types.
I don't think they'll be double paned like you have in a house. I believe "double laminated" is what was meant and what is used on higher end cars - it isn't 2 pieces of glass with air between.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Does it? Two thinner pieces of glass with air in between vs one solid piece of glass? Not sure about quieter. Maybe better for holding in heat or coolness, but not sure about sound reduction. It would be nice once these new windows start rolling out for someone to do a sound comparison between the two different window types.
Usually they try to vacuum the space so no air to transmit the sound wave. Thus quieter. But not sure about structure of that size.

New console looks ultra meh, reminesent of old S/X and less modern car interiors (Alexa... I mean Buick... I mean Opel/Vaxhaul). A shame.

The headlight projector/corner lighting assembly update, lack of taillight dual intensity on brake of the inner (trunk hatch) sub-assemblies make the car look cheap.

As much as I hate chrome, the flat/satin black trim looks good only on certain colors, on others it adds to the cheap look.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sparky4life
So far the images of “new process” M3 are all RHD. The front bumper holes mentioned could be a requirement in those locations for the wider plates so US cars may still come with stick on front plate frames. We won’t know until we see pictures of LHD US cars which might not be produced for another month if there is a lot of export demand from the Fremont factory?

I personally am excited about the rumored changes. I have been waiting for my current Audi S5 lease to expire in December before i ask my SA to take me off of hold, hoping these changes would be in my M3P. When I test drove the 3 and Y, i was a little bummed that the chrome delete and power trunk were only on the Y. The fact that the new builds may have also removed the piano black interior, improved glass, heat pump (although not needed in CA), and potentially a new screen, are all bonuses!

A few months ago Panasonic said they would increase the energy density of the 2170 cells produced at Gigafactory Nevada. The modification of the lines should start in September. Has anybody heard anything about a range increase?

I would also appreciate if a heated steering wheel was included. Most electric vehicles have that today.

A few months ago Panasonic said they would increase the energy density of the 2170 cells produced at Gigafactory Nevada. The modification of the lines should start in September. Has anybody heard anything about a range increase?

I would also appreciate if a heated steering wheel was included. Most electric vehicles have that today.
Here is something about the new batteries and the upcoming M3 refresh: New Tesla Model 3 Cars Spotted With Chrome Delete & New Center Console

I realize that a lot of folks don't like all the chrome, particularly the door handles. But personally, I'm not a fan of black handles either (unless they are on a white or black car where they look sharp). IMO, Tesla should paint the door handles the same color as the rest of the body (like many luxury Euro manufacturers).

Good point. The best-case scenario would be to offer them as customization options, which would inevitably increase the logistical costs.
It's probably not coming soon, but maybe at some point in time.

I wanted several of the new changes but also needed to move forward on the purchase. Without model years or schedules they seem to intentionally make it hard to wait for a new feature. Living in PA the heat pump is the only one that really changes my "life", all the others are nice to have. Factory chrome delete certainly would have simplified tackling that after purchase though...

For those paying close attention, the 3rd iteration of the 2170 cells due late this year has been known since February.

Model y battery upgrade?

My speculation is that it will result a single digit percentage range increase. I’ll guess about 5% or so, maybe 20-25 EPA miles.

Reactions: DanCar
My sales associate denied any rumors of new 2021s coming out anytime soon, but not sure I believe her. In any case I asked for my delivery to be pushed until I can get a 2021 VIN, and she said no problem.
Sales associates usually don't get information from Tesla ahead of time about new products or changes. They usually find out at the same time as the general public, some even getting their information on forums or Reddit.

Does it look like the shape is different and maybe another camera?
It does look a bit different (that kink down the middle right at the corner) and perhaps that is a camera behind the glass... odd location and would block part of the little window, create another reason to break it and break in there.

If there are more cameras, that would go well with an updated dash screen, MCU and AP3.5 or 4.0

Last edited:
Is it just me or does that console look right out of a Chrysler mini van? I have a hard time believing Tesla ditched the existing, sleek design for this clunky design. The new design adds no function (that we can tell from the pics) and is ugly. Dunno about this...

When I heard there was a new console I was excited and thinking I would buy it from the parts catalog and swap mine out. After seeing it I am so disappointed. You are right it just looks kinda bland. A better upgrade would have been to just let people pick the finish. Piano, white, matte, color match etc.
Someone is already selling one on eBay.

2011 - 19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SRT CHRYSLER TOWN COUNTRY VAN CENTER SUPER CONSOLE | eBay