Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to the Seattle showroom for a test drive and they had the refresh version in all black and it looked great! A couple of observations:
  • The power lift gate is really quiet
  • The new aero covers look better than the old ones IMO
  • The center console looks pretty good but it is a little less functional. The slide cover mechanism is smooth but smaller than the old cubby and it’s hard to access the front area under the phone tray.
  • The steering wheel felt a little thicker(?) and more rubbery than my 6/18 (real leather before transition to vegan) steering wheel.
  • The steering wheel has no seams that run across the front like my old one
  • New metal steering wheel scroll wheels felt more solid
Side note: I was there to test drive a Model Y and it was 69XXX vin that also had the new laminated front windows. I have to be honest, I couldn’t tell any difference in sound on the highway with them or in city traffic. I have used a DB meter with my current model 3 during my many soundproofing efforts and I was getting the same readings in the model Y with the new windows. I did however notice a decrease in wind noise but I haven’t compared that to a newer but pre-laminated window M3 for comparison. My early VIN M3 has a lot of wind noise.
7BB9A546-7CBD-449C-A9D0-33F290284F6D.jpeg
8983AF75-E223-40C8-BDFA-777CA35D1180.jpeg
D958CDD4-145F-45F8-A841-8D5850E3471C.jpeg
962E6E74-EE47-4D8A-9900-3C37512B1F0D.jpeg
0B60D6AB-EE43-4B5E-B7F5-ADF76CD79FDC.jpeg

Last edited:
@PNWLeccy - how did you like the Y? Any pics of the refreshed 3 exterior? I still don't know if I"m finally going to get a perf 3 or a non-perf Y. UGH
I love my Model 3 but I have an early VIN and my biggest complaints have been about road noise, wind noise, rattles, and rough suspension. My biggest wants that are directly addressed by the Model Y are increased ground clearance and interior space.

I knew the MY design would inherently give me the ground clearance and space I want/need but to be honest I think my expectations about decreased cabin noise and improved suspension were a bit too high and it was a bit of a letdown. Even with the laminated front windows the cabin noise were at the same db levels I measured in my M3. Wind noise was reduced compared to my Model 3 but my vehicle is pretty windy despite my best efforts to reduce all trouble spots. A persistent issue I have had with my model 3 has been hunting down rattles which seem to be generally less of an issue today then it was for my 6/18 vehicle but there was a prominent rattle coming from the back of the Model Y (not from the seats which seemed common on early Y's) that gave me a bit of PTSD. It could easily be resolved or it could become the bane of your existence like some of the ones I have had in my vehicle - disclaimer: I have a low tolerance for noises.

The suspension w/ 19" geminis seemed to be nearly as harsh/rough as with the 19" wheels I have on my Model 3 but the increased tire sidewall helped a bit on potholes (felt less clunky), I thought it was still quite stiff on the horrible city streets I drive on everyday.

All the things i love about the Tesla (instant torque, great software, etc.) is the same as on my Model 3 so it is an improvement overall, in my opinion, but I think I expected the cabin noise and suspension to be a little better in a vehicle produced 2.5 years after mine. I'm still likely to upgrade to the MY but may wait a year to see what other improvements may come to the Y before pulling the trigger.

From Germany registration papers. Battery capacity increased from 79 to 82 kWh (total capacity, not usable capacity). Not sure if this has been mentioned already.
That seems really important! In theory that's nearly a 4% boost and could indicate that as @AlanSubie4Life theorized maybe there's another range increase that could happen down the line as Tesla unlocks or recognizes that battery capacity.

Here's a new video showing the old rims under neither the aero, trunk liftgate, and extras:
To me it looks like they are new more angular/sharp wheels. The overall shape is the same (some I'm sure the covers are interchangeable) but the spokes look a little sharper and more updated. Here is a screenshot from the video and one of the old wheels from google

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-180856.png
    Screenshot_20201109-180856.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20201109-180808.png
    Screenshot_20201109-180808.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Model 3 never had a leather steering wheel even from the beginning (as I understand it). It has always been vegan.

I have to say it, but I am a little bit happy that you didn't get the impression that the Model Y was materially quieter. I have an October 2018 Model 3 (Vin 110XXX) and while I love it, I have been thinking about upgrading to a Y - partially for the increased room in the back and the ability to take hockey sticks and skis inside the car without folding down one of the rear seats, but secretly, because the 3 is just noisy on the highway. Tire noise, some wind noise, just noisy. Not in a terrible way, but not as quiet as I would like.

Reactions: navguy12