Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 doesn’t finish charging [to limit set]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a problem with their car not finishing a charge to the set limit?

I plug in every night and usually have my charge limit set to 60% but I’ve noticed that lately the car will stop at 57-58% charge. There are never any faults on the car display, charging cable or any noticeable reason that the car didn’t finish charging. I have it set to same limit in the App and on the in-car charging settings.

I’ve tried setting the charge limit to higher/lower settings it but it still stops 2-3% short. I’m using the cable that came with the car and that is plugged into a NEMA 6-50 outlet.

I plug in every night and usually have my charge limit set to 60% but I’ve noticed that lately the car will stop at 57-58% charge.
Sometimes a battery will charge to the set limit and then, over time, drop a little.
It is probably this. I have seen a LOT of threads here asking this same question, and this is probably what's happening. The car's estimation algorithm does take temperature into account, with how much energy it think can be extracted from the battery. The charging process warms up the battery noticeably, so it would appear to have a little more energy. It stops at the 60% point, and charging quits. Then, over the next few hours, the car sits, and the battery cools down, which the car reads as having a little less energy, so by the morning when you look at it, the car shows 57-58%.

Reactions: Lephturn
I had this same problem once when I had put the slider to 90-95 and then later pushed it to 100, and it wouldn’t finish. I had to discharge some of it first to try again to get it to go to 100%. You could also restart the car and see if that helps!

Thats actually something different ("not finishing" when charging to 100%). That is the car attempting to balance the cells, and could take 10 minutes or an hour. It WILL finish, charging to 100%, eventually, after it finishes balancing itself. When you stop it, when it shows 100% but "is still charging" that just means you didnt let it finish what it was trying to do.

Does anyone have a problem with their car not finishing a charge to the set limit?

I plug in every night and usually have my charge limit set to 60% but I’ve noticed that lately the car will stop at 57-58% charge. There are never any faults on the car display, charging cable or any noticeable reason that the car didn’t finish charging. I have it set to same limit in the App and on the in-car charging settings.

I’ve tried setting the charge limit to higher/lower settings it but it still stops 2-3% short. I’m using the cable that came with the car and that is plugged into a NEMA 6-50 outlet.