Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the most compelling reason (perhaps the only reason, at all) to install the yoke to replace a stock steering wheel. The weight! Obviously, the yoke is lighter, but by how much? Anyone weigh them to compare?
I am hoping to get some decent additional range out of this mod.
One thing I would like to add though, would be buttons on the tops of the tips/horns of the yoke. You know, for firing weapons or other additional functionality.
great thread, thanks for posting the screen caps and pics of your experiences!

Haha, well... the obvious isn't so.

Although the yoke is missing half a wheel... what's left is significantly thicker, and heavy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was heavier than a standard wheel.

I really like mine, it feels like it belongs in this car. It feels like everything else, a future step-change.

Picture of mine and my post-pandemic-lockdown-no-holidays hands 😁
Screenshot_20211001-172717_Signal.jpg

Last edited:
By some of these posts it’s amazing Us yoke owners are still alive to post Our experiences here. Since I’ve installed mine it’s a struggle just to leave the driveway. Every morning before I leave for work I say my goodbyes to my family as if I might not make it home. 🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸

😂 At this point when I drive I don’t even think about it anymore. For the most part I find it more comfortable than the round wheel for my shoulders, and hand positions.

By some of these posts it’s amazing Us yoke owners are still alive to post Our experiences here. Since I’ve installed mine it’s a struggle just to leave the driveway. Every morning before I leave for work I say my goodbyes to my family as if I might not make it home. 🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸

😂 At this point when I drive I don’t even think about it anymore. For the most part I find it more comfortable than the round wheel for my shoulders, and hand positions.

I've just done another 150 mile round trip today, and love the yoke.

Interestingly, I jumped back into my ICE car the other day... and the round steering wheel wasn't the biggest shock to get used to...

... it was not having regen braking.

What a waste of my time, friction, pad & disc wear... having to press that middle brake pedal, stupid design. It's like the car wanted to crash at any opportunity...

Much prefer my Tesla World one pedal driving... 😎

I jumped back into my ICE car the other day...

What is this “ICE car” you speak of? I do not know/remember what that is… ;)

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect our brains to forget how to use a round steering wheel so quickly. We’ve been using them for so long and just don’t have enough drive time with the new yoke yet to make our brains forget.

Been using/driving my vehicle with the yoke for about 5 days now, and can say with absolute confidence that I’m not going back to a round steering wheel. I find driving with the yoke very satisfying and functional… especially with the separate stalks. It’s a keeper for sure!!

My OEM steering wheel is now hanging on my wall collecting dust! Well, maybe not so much because I don’t allow dust in my conditioned garage!! 😂

4297E396-6D67-48D1-B977-E8D1CC1FA2D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovin’ my yokes as well! The Aroham yoke is thick and heavy!
I think the Yoke model I chose may be a little thinner than the one you and PITA purchased… which is actually a plus for me.
Since I have nothing better to do, I went out and measured the circumference of my yoke and OEM steering wheel.

Yoke: 12.5 cm along the bottom section, 14.5 cm along the sides and gets a little thicker as you approach the middle of the nub section.

OEM: 11.5 cm

I think the Yoke model I chose may be a little thinner than the one you and PITA purchased… which is actually a plus for me.
Since I have nothing better to do, I went out and measured the circumference of my yoke and OEM steering wheel.

Yoke: 12.5 cm along the bottom section, 14.5 cm along the sides and gets a little thicker as you approach the top of the nub section.

OEM: 11.5 cm
Agreed, I think mine is thicker and fills the palm more than the Plaid yoke. All good!

Haha, trust me to find a fault with these Model 3 Yoke steering wheels... but I have.

There's a scenario where you can trap your fingers between the yoke and stalk indicator.

Follow me through here (UK Double Mini Roundabouts)...

- You're approaching a double mini roundabout (UK) with the intention to turn left at the first one, then immediately right at the second one.

- You enter the mini-roundabout at 20mph with the yoke turned hard left with your right hand... so now the indicator stalk is fully exposed.

- You now reach for the indicator stalk with your left hand to signal right... just as you turn the yoke right... trapping your fingers...

Like a Guillotine 😁😳🙊

Now I know why the model S yoke setup doesn't have indicator stalks !!

How many bonus points do I get?

Reactions: Dan D.
Haha, trust me to find a fault with these Model 3 Yoke steering wheels... but I have.

There's a scenario where you can trap your fingers between the yoke and stalk indicator.

Follow me through here (UK Double Mini Roundabouts)...

- You're approaching a double mini roundabout (UK) with the intention to turn left at the first one, then immediately right at the second one.

- You enter the mini-roundabout at 20mph with the yoke turned hard left with your right hand... so now the indicator stalk is fully exposed.

- You now reach for the indicator stalk with your left hand to signal right... just as you turn the yoke right... trapping your fingers...

Like a Guillotine 😁😳🙊

Now I know why the model S yoke setup doesn't have indicator stalks !!

How many bonus points do I get?
Interesting. I can’t say I have ever encountered this exact same scenario in all my (more than 35) years of driving. This is irrespective of the type/shape of steering wheel. I guess we just don’t have any double mini roundabouts in my area. Either that, or I have not been bothering to activate my turn signal at every turn... 🤔

So, I think my fingers will be safe with the yoke whenever I need to tap on the stalk. 😁

Interesting. I can’t say I have ever encountered this exact same scenario in all my (more than 35) years of driving. This is irrespective of the type/shape of steering wheel. I guess we just don’t have any double mini roundabouts in my area. Either that, or I have not been bothering to activate my turn signal at every turn... 🤔

So, I think my fingers will be safe with the yoke whenever I need to tap on the stalk. 😁
@GreenHokie You never would... unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road in Virginia! @PITA lives in the UK, where driving on the left is the correct side to drive on!

@GreenHokie You never would... unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road in Virginia! @PITA lives in the UK, where driving on the left is the correct side to drive on!
Haha! Yeah, I did notice that PITA is in the UK. However, I was thinking more about the general scenario that he was describing… signaling/making a turn in one direction and then needing to make another immediate signal/turn in the opposite direction. If that was the scenario PITA was trying to describe, then in retrospect, I (and perhaps most everyone every where) have likely encountered a similar situation. I’ve just never really thought about how I’ve treated/handled that second immediate turn. I probably never bothered to use/tap on my turn signal for the second immediate turn. Guess that makes me a bad driver…. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone (especially Tesla’s Safety Score system… I’m currently sitting at 95)! I’ll be our little secret!! 😜

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Dont' get it, I mean it looks cool, but 500 dollars to get less wheel? I can get the same thing for a lot less with a saws all. Cut wheel and reupholster. Done. But seriously, what is the excitement of having less to hold on to? I usually rest my hand on the top of the wheel. Doing a nice full turn going to be a lot harder with this thing as well.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and Jasper2020
Maybe you should let these guys know how much better a round wheel is. Imagine how much safer the sport would be if we banned these un-round steering wheel thingies.

61D6715B-F150-4B28-9EB4-6F48FAB42E85.jpeg

Dont' get it, I mean it looks cool, but 500 dollars to get less wheel? I can get the same thing for a lot less with a saws all. Cut wheel and reupholster. Done. But seriously, what is the excitement of having less to hold on to? I usually rest my hand on the top of the wheel. Doing a nice full turn going to be a lot harder with this thing as well.
It’s just like a said it’s amazing I’m still alive after driving with this part wheel steering thingy.

Come on people it’s not that hard to drive a car with a yoke.

Reactions: PITA and jebinc
Maybe you should let these guys know how much better a round wheel is. Imagine how much safer the sport would be if we banned these un-round steering wheel thingies.

View attachment 718598

It’s just like a said it’s amazing I’m still alive after driving with this part wheel steering thingy.

Come on people it’s not that hard to drive a car with a yoke.
It's not that hard is true. But the point is why? It's easier with a full wheel