Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket yoke steering wheel in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the new write up and commented. Looks great and well done on your end! Too bad the heating isnt plug and play. Stinks for non technicals like me.
@Jaenonymous @GreenHokie Looks like my Homie will produce heated yoke with installed connector. When ordering, just ask to have the connector. They will send you pictures before shipping to confirm it meets with your satisfaction.

F86AC041-D327-4B31-976E-5593DBCFBEEA.png

This is good advice, but I plan to take it one step further.
I will also disconnect the high voltage battery located underneath the rear bench seat base.
Several steering wheel install videos on YouTube have suggested this is the procedure that Tesla would use if they were to work on the steering wheel/air bag assembly.

So…
1. Power off the vehicle from the main display screen
2. Disconnect the negative terminal on the 12volt battery
3. Disconnect the high voltage battery terminal located underneath the rear bench seat

Once everything is done/installed, repeat the above procedure, except in reverse order.

Of course, remember to open all doors and frunk before disconnecting the power (because you won’t be able to operate/open anything once the power is off & battery is disconnected).

I’m sure the above procedure is overkill. However, since disconnecting the high voltage battery is so simple, I plan on doing it.

Just thought I'd follow up with the definitive info for how to remove/replace the airbag. I'm going with the Tesla Service Manual as the definitive info, no need for us to speculate or guess, so I looked it up. It's not overkill, this is the shop procedure.

The driver wheel airbag replacement procedure starts with your procedure here- Doing the full 12V disconnect, including the connector under the rear seat. For the airbag replacement, the first step is to disable 12V via this procedure:

DISCONNECT​

warning.svg
Warning:
Prepare for these conditions before disconnecting 12V power:
  • Closed windows might shatter if the door is opened.
  • Closed doors might cause a lockout condition.
  • Airbags do not deploy.
  • Systems, displays, and other controls are off.

1Disconnect any charging cable.
2On the touchscreen, power off the climate control system, and wait at least 30 seconds for the climate control system to completely shut down.
3Make sure the vehicle is in Park.
4Fully lower all door windows to avoid glass shatter and door lockout conditions.
5Open the LH and RH rear doors, and then pass a shop towel halfway through each door striker to prevent the latch from securing.
6Remove the 2nd row lower seat cushion. See Seat Cushion - Lower - 2nd Row (Remove and Replace).
7Remove the rear underhood apron. See Underhood Apron - Rear (Remove and Replace).
8On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off.

Caution:
Do not proceed until the climate control system has been powered off for at least 30 seconds. Do not disconnect 12V power while the climate control system is operational.

GUID-FB8915D0-3FFA-4D62-8681-7BC99354E90F-online.jpg
1Loosen the nut that attaches the 12V battery negative cable to the battery, and then disconnect the cable from the battery.

GUID-3637DD97-52C3-4867-AEE3-0146E8FA3A9F-online.png
2Remove the foam cover from the RH side of the penthouse.

GUID-68601822-859B-4C4F-BF23-74DA32CE405F-online.jpg
3Disconnect the electrical harness from the high voltage controller connector.
Note: The HV battery positive contactor and negative contactor open with a clunk sound.

GUID-C7511654-16D9-464B-82DA-8025737DE8DD-online.jpg
4Install the logic connector cap onto the high voltage controller connector to prevent mistaken reconnection and protect the connector.
5If you disconnected 12V power to service a high voltage component, verify that high voltage power is no longer available to that component. See Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki and jebinc
As you can see from the above photo, Aroham decided to give me a few gifts to make up for the length of time it took to ship my order. They initially built my steering wheel with a seam line on the back side, which I did not like and was not representative of the product photos on their website. So, of course, they built another one with no seams. I did not ask for any freebies.

As you can see from the above photo, Aroham decided to give me a few gifts to make up for the length of time it took to ship my order. They initially built my steering wheel with a seam line on the back side, which I did not like and was not representative of the product photos on their website. So, of course, they built another one with no seams. I did not ask for any freebies.
What are the freebies?

• Funny
Reactions: GreenHokie
I will say, the quality & workmanship is top notch. I pay attention to the fine details and can say that the smoothness of the leather and stitching on this Aroham steering wheel look better/cleaner than on my OEM steering wheel from Tesla.

Now, the moment you have been waiting for….

View attachment 716540

View attachment 716541

View attachment 716542

View attachment 716543
@GreenHokie Wow, that was the quickest install ever! 😅 I took about two hours total (start to finish) making sure the heater harness Connector swap was perfect. Homie is sending me a harness to put on my OEM wheel, so both will be “plug and play”.

Reactions: GreenHokie