Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Quieter then 2019?

Is the 2021 Model 3 quieter then the 2019 version?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've had a short conversation with a guy on YouTube regarding this. he's of the view that the new laminated windows make a difference, which I didn't think it did. what's people's views?

Apologies for the title mis spell ut I can't see how to change it.

It's a bit pedantic, but side window glass is tempered... it's the windscreen that is laminated.

The double paned glass should still be tempered even though its two pieces sandwiched together, because side windows need to be able to be shattered in case of emergency etc.

Anyway... every Tesla is different. There have been apparently objective reviews that have shown that it doesn't make any difference. What you will find is that there will be slight differences between each car given the variances in the panels and the glass, which has quite a bit of adjustment available in it.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I love a bit of pedantry..... If the two tempered side glass sheets are sealed around the outer edge only then they are double glazed unit, if there is a full layer of some form of adhesive or laminating sheet between the two, then they are laminated (tempered) sheet.

Anyway.... The accounts I have read/watched pretty much suggest little to no perceptible difference in noise reduction 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Adopado and Durzel
I would say there must have been a reason why Tesla added the double-glazed windows. I've only driven the 2021 version, so can't compare. I wouldn't say mine is super quiet, but certainly not particularly noisy either. I notice most of the wind noise coming from the glass roof simply because there is no roof-blind. In my wife's previous Nissan the interior noise level used to drop significantly when you closed the panoramic roof blind. It acted like an insulating layer.

I would say there must have been a reason why Tesla added the double-glazed windows. I've only driven the 2021 version, so can't compare. I wouldn't say mine is super quiet, but certainly not particularly noisy either. I notice most of the wind noise coming from the glass roof simply because there is no roof-blind. In my wife's previous Nissan the interior noise level used to drop significantly when you closed the panoramic roof blind. It acted like an insulating layer.

Can't wait to try the comparison myself when my new one gets here..... Of course with it being the P I won't be able to tell the difference above the roar of the more powerful motors!

I'll get me coat.

I would say there must have been a reason why Tesla added the double-glazed windows.
Not really sure what that reason was and it doesn’t seem to have been particularly well executed. Two panes of glass is technically double glazed but it’s not the glass that provides the insulation it’s the air in between and that window doesn’t have any so it’s pointless.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Not really sure what that reason was and it doesn’t seem to have been particularly well executed. Two panes of glass is technically double glazed but it’s not the glass that provides the insulation it’s the air in between and that window doesn’t have any so it’s pointless.
Could twice the thickness of the glass have some kind of sound deadening effect, all things being equal?

The problem to my mind is that the Model 3 - unfortunately - has a considerable amount of adjustment available in the glass, which is good for production but not so great when you're relying on people to fit them properly. And being frameless they are always going to have problems forming an airtight seal, relative to "normal" windows.

I can well imagine a 2021 car with badly adjusted windows would be worse in a straight noise test to a 2019 car that has been tweaked (or was just right from the factory).

Reactions: Jez_GB and Peteski
Double the thickness of material would have marginal benefits but glass is such a poor insulator I doubt it would do much.
Adjustment is definitely a key variable but an S Class coupe has frameless doors and is deadly silent so it can be done.

A big problem is the lack of wheel well insulation for noise, must be on of the only daily driver cars without absorbent well liners, that’s a big source of tyre noise.

Also seems the desire for straight panel gaps leads to some noise too, check most German cars and the leading edge is always recessed behind the trailing edge of the panel in front. They just do it with such precision you don’t notice. Almost every panel gap video I have seen of Tesla’s is expecting them to be flush and that would be terrible for noise because you let it in to places you shouldnt have to account for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Mainly no bead between the panes of glass to separate them at the edges and not a lot of sealant, the panes look to be glued directly together
Mine look like they are separated by about 3 mm of solid sealant all around the edges. Certainly not glued directly together. Are you sure your car actually has the new windows?

Like this:-
1620416083996.png

Mine look like they are separated by about 3 mm of solid sealant all around the edges. Certainly not glued directly together. Are you sure your car actually has the new windows?

Like this:-
View attachment 660322
I’m still waiting on my car so it definitely will have the new windows 👍

the glass has a full radius on the edge so your only seeing about 2/3 of the glass thickness on each pane there, so that’s a very little gap if any.

Can't compare as my experience is of my 21 LR. It's a little noisy above about 35mph. I'm *fairly* sure most of the noise comes from the rear, the front seems quieter. Not sure if that points to the double glass in the front having a positive effect.

I did drive a.2019 P as a loaner for a day, and it was much noisier generally - rattly, vibrationy and hummy at speed. And only 20k miles on it.

I did drive a.2019 P as a loaner for a day, and it was much noisier generally - rattly, vibrationy and hummy at speed. And only 20k miles on it.
One thing I really like about our 2021 M3 is that it has no rattles or vibration whatsoever. The chassis feels rock solid. My MX is not quite as good in that respect. You get a little bit of creaking from the Falcon Wing Doors on bumpy roads. It’s not bad, but I really notice it now I’m swapping back and forth between the two. I would say the MX is perhaps a little quieter on the motorway though.

Can't compare as my experience is of my 21 LR. It's a little noisy above about 35mph. I'm *fairly* sure most of the noise comes from the rear, the front seems quieter. Not sure if that points to the double glass in the front having a positive effect.

Actually the "noisier in the back" feature has always been noticeable on the Model 3 so it may or may not be different in refreshed cars.

Reactions: MrBadger
Having had both I would have told you the 2021 are better built and has fewer rattles, but having driven it for a but the rattles are actually the same. The new windows however, also make no difference at all.

If Tesla wanted to really address the noise problems they’d ditch the frameless doors. I never understand why you need these in anything but a convertible.