Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Ambient lighting retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add insult to injury, among the many upgrades to the highland is infinite adjustable rgb ambient lighting around the whole cabin.

Will the MS ever get this in future production? I doubt it. Upgrades? No way.

Note that the original Pladium (2021+) Model S and X were supposed to have RGB ambient lighting, very similar to the Highland Model 3. This was supposed to appear in the silver trim on the dash and doors. The first hundred or so Model S had the LEDs and wiring, but after that batch, Tesla removed the LEDs and left the wiring. The silver trim was changed from translucent to opaque at that time too and the light-pipes were removed from behind the trim.

As far as I know, software was never available in the S to activate the LEDs for those few cars that had it. Tesla never stated what went wrong. It might have been a supply issue, or the brightness was not sufficient (they used light pipes, which can be quite dim if not designed perfectly). Anyway, strong rumors say ambient lighting will be in the new Model S shipping out shortly (maybe this month). If it uses the existing leftover wiring, It would seem fairly easy for Tesla to offer an upgrade kit, but I'd expect it to be $500 or more. I guess that the installation time would be about an hour.

Reactions: leecox
You are correct that the slot for the light pipes is behind the chrome trim. It is interesting that the connector in the front door is only two wire which would not have supported RGB. In the other thread linked to above, I experimented with using an RGB emitter into the door well existing light pipe and it was marginal at best. The footwell lighting uses light pipes as well and unless it is pitch black, the light is dismal so I abandoned using single emitters and am replacing with strips.

Even if someone releases a kit, it is quite the project ! Join us in the other thread to see the journey and progress so far !

Reactions: 4SUPER9