Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my guess is they have some sort of vignette to hide the screen edge, especially under direct light.
This is also my guess -- based on how the screen appears while driving at night.

Incidentally, my screen has less vignetting than @cwanja but a little more than @Filter: text at left has not been affected, but the top icons are.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Some pages back, no clue where, there was discussion about the edges of the instrument cluster screen being faded. Here is the best photo showing that. You can see it in the text. I could probably also get a photo with the headlight icon being faded as well.

Yet, looking at @Filter's post right above this, their icons and text looks fine.

Big debate if I really want them to take apart my instrument cluster to replace the screen.

@Filter Do you have the weird patterns in white text on your screen? Mine seems more noticeable on the top and sides of the screen. Somehow related to the faded headlight icon too? Did they forget to install something behind the screen? It's almost like the screen is transparent.
1641322840768.png

Reactions: impastu
@Filter Do you have the weird patterns in white text on your screen? Mine seems more noticeable on the top and sides of the screen. Somehow related to the faded headlight icon too? Did they forget to install something behind the screen? It's almost like the screen is transparent.
View attachment 751897
That’s normal. Mine is the same, and it’s come up before. The fading is normal, too.

That’s normal. Mine is the same, and it’s come up before. The fading is normal, too.
It's strange. I don't remember anything like this on the old Model S instrument cluster. Why would the refresh have a worse screen?

I can't really understand the purpose of it, unless it's somehow more tolerant of direct sunlight or light reflective in some way? But, it looks just as visible as the main screen in direct sunlight, so I don't see the advantage there.

It's strange. I don't remember anything like this on the old Model S instrument cluster. Why would the refresh have a worse screen?
It’s infinitely superior to the old S instrument cluster. Much better contrast. The fading means it cleanly transitions to the edges of the display where the plastics are. I have an older S now (2016 75D)as a loaner and the screen is terrible.

It’s infinitely superior to the old S instrument cluster. Much better contrast. The fading means it cleanly transitions to the edges of the display where the plastics are. I have an older S now (2016 75D)as a loaner and the screen is terrible.
hmm. ok. I guess that could be. I'm just relying on my memory of my old 2016 P90D.

I've just never seen a screen that has this kind of strange pattern behind the screen that is visible. It's like you can see the circuit board behind the screen. Like they forgot to install the diffuser in the LCD?

hmm. ok. I guess that could be. I'm just relying on my memory of my old 2016 P90D.

I've just never seen a screen that has this kind of strange pattern behind the screen that is visible. It's like you can see the circuit board behind the screen. Like they forgot to install the diffuser in the LCD?
You can’t really see that patter. You have to shove your nose pretty close to see it on the speed limit signs and that’s the only place I notice it. It’s definitely an interesting design choice but in general I like the way it fades around the edges. It’s a really pleasing aesthetic to me.

You can’t really see that patter. You have to shove your nose pretty close to see it on the speed limit signs and that’s the only place I notice it. It’s definitely an interesting design choice but in general I like the way it fades around the edges. It’s a really pleasing aesthetic to me.
Really? I see it very clearly without being close to the screen. Any light graphics have it. Over the entire screen..... Maybe mine is worse?

Reactions: Jabbahop
View attachment 751897

Note that this isn't the screen, its a digital effect added to the rendered screen contents.

Yes, its intentional.

Note that this isn't the screen, its a digital effect added to the rendered screen contents.

Yes, its intentional.
I agree it’s not a screen etching and is an intentional effect. Reason being I realized I’ve seen that screen go solid grey on a reboot/system crash etc. At that point the screen is 100% consistent edge to edge.

Just drive the damn car.

Seriously, have you EVER heard of a high performance Summer tire exploding or coming apart because it was too cold?

Is traction compromised? Yes, of course. So be careful and limit your driving until the winter tires come in.
Yup I ruined 2 summer tires in the cold.
I am personally enjoying the Plaid a lot more than my former 3 Performance on multiple levels. Besides the obvious acceleration, the air suspension with adjustable height and damping settings is great. The cabin is much more quiet at high speeds, and I just love the hatch trunk - so much more space!

Once I get my Palid back from the butcher shop (getting a second safety restraint harness fix this week), I’ll test it in Tahoe and report back on whether there are any issues with cold air leaking into the cabin.

But overall, I’m enjoying the S a lot more than the 3. Oh and I also can’t wait to test Track Mode at Laguna Seca or Sonoma Raceway soon!
I guess trackmode has been released?

View attachment 751897

Sorry, haven't noticed it (although it certainly could be there). I don't have my car currently, but I can tell you the BMW from enterprise has a clear display 😉. Will check as soon as I get it back.

Tesla did call me today, have a bad wire harness, car should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. So far, so good.

In case this helps anyone else, I did notice a steering assist reduced alert 2 weeks ago that self cleared in less than a minute. I don't know if it's a precursor to the wiring harness failing, if you see it happen on your S - perhaps take it more seriously than I did.

Will report back back tomorrow. Thanks for the support!

With the major breakdown next day of taking delivery with only fifty miles on the car and having to replace rear drive unit. today with only 200 miles on the car I get a fault signal stating steering assist disconnected extra effort may be needed
However no effect on driving what so ever. Rebooted the car but didn’t go away. Got out of the car closed the door and returned few minutes later it was gone. I was about to have a heart attack!!!!! Drove the car to the SC which is fifteen min away from my house and they got it in right away and came out to be a software glitch and no need to fix or repair anything. I am not sure I will survive the first 1000 miles this way😩😱😤😞
I have had that exact message come up twice in three months since taking delivery with same observations that you feel no difference and the error clears on next startup. Definitely seems like a glitch/bug