Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly can't see much difference in the used ones that I shopped over the last month, with or without FSD. Renting it is still likely the better way to go unless you are going to keep it for a LONG time. Now if Tesla would let me transfer FSD from one car to another, I'd be much more inclined to buy it.
Yeah, likely makes sense. I definitely wouldn't pay $15k now. Even $10k was likely really dumb. $5k is about all it's worth, including auto park, summon, EAP, etc.

If FSD cost what EAP does, I'd buy it tomorrow just on the chance it might someday be good enough I might actually use it. For now EAP would give me most of what I might be looking for but even at 6k, it isn't worth it to me. At 2-3k, I'd be in. I think by driving the price up, Tesla has reduced the take rate even more and by a large enough amount, I think their net revenue on it overall is down.

If FSD cost what EAP does, I'd buy it tomorrow just on the chance it might someday be good enough I might actually use it. For now EAP would give me most of what I might be looking for but even at 6k, it isn't worth it to me. At 2-3k, I'd be in. I think by driving the price up, Tesla has reduced the take rate even more and by a large enough amount, I think their net revenue on it overall is down.
Surprisingly, EAP is terrible compared to FSD right now.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
My fsd is a mess. I had a steering control column module intermittent fault. (Replaced) had the 5 strike out, and am stuck on 2023.6.8. I have a march 2022 build Plaid.
Anyone on fsd 2022 build ? What’s you version?
I'm on 2022.45.15 which is 11.3.6. Did the SC update you to a non FSD build or is that due to strike 5? 2023.6.8 is not FSD.

The upcoming FSD build will be 2023.7.x

Last edited:
Did you buy it or rent it? It seems like a total waste to buy it unless you keep it well over 6 years. If anything happens to the car, you don't get jack for it back on insurance either compared to the purchase price. That is reflected on the resale value of the car with and without FSD.

If anyone actually wanted FSD, I'd suggest if they had the money burning a hole in their pocket to invest the 15k, get a decent ROI, subscribe to FSD instead and you'd come out way ahead. Not to mention you wouldn't have bought one of the few things that depreciates faster than a 2021/2022 Plaid.

If you get even 6% ROI on your 15k, you could probably fund a subscription for almost 8 years at its current rate of $199/mo. Of course they could raise the rate but currently it makes no sense to prepay for Elon's snake oil even if you are one of the apparent corner cases where it might actually be worth something to you.
Interesting perspective and maybe reasonable but I guess I just believe in the Tesla mission and feel like I’m contributing to the peaceful future of humanity by paying a programmer’s salary for a few months lol

Interesting perspective and maybe reasonable but I guess I just believe in the Tesla mission and feel like I’m contributing to the peaceful future of humanity by paying a programmer’s salary for a few months lol
Let's turn it into the "Feed a starving Tesla programmer" for a month. In return we'll give you software of dubious value named like governmental programs are; the opposite of what they claim do and promise the moon. FSD is just like that; it isn't full self driving but promises so much. Affordable care act didn't really provide affordable care, etc.

Let's turn it into the "Feed a starving Tesla programmer" for a month. In return we'll give you software of dubious value named like governmental programs are; the opposite of what they claim do and promise the moon. FSD is just like that; it isn't full self driving but promises so much. Affordable care act didn't really provide affordable care, etc.
Bro do you even FSD?

Calling dubious value… I’m pretty sure it’s saved my life several times. Just sayin’…

Bro do you even FSD?

Calling dubious value… I’m pretty sure it’s saved my life several times. Just sayin’…
How is FSD going to save your life? Are you talking about the collision avoidance features of FCW, AEB and OAA? If so, those come with autopilot. Not to mention removing the radar meant that anything that can impact the cameras, lessens their effectiveness. Radar did a lot better at judging distances.

As for trying FSD, I did. I wouldn't give them a dime for it. I drove thousands of mile on FSD and AP on the same routes. There is almost nothing FSD offers me over AP that I value. Thank God I only subscribed rather than pissing my money away on it. If it was really a lot of value, you'd see that reflected in the resale value of cars. FSD depreciates faster than a 2021/2022 Plaid.

Not just my opinion but that is what the used car market thinks of it. Not to mention why many here call it "Fool Self Driving". If it could actually be full self driving, with no input, I'd drop the 15k in an instant.

If it works for you, great! Glad it does for some subset of the owners. EAP would get me most of what I would use anyway. It it was $3k, I'd probably drop the money. If I am going to drop 15k, I'll buy the CCB (carbon ceramic brake) kit and get some real value for my money.

How is FSD going to save your life? Are you talking about the collision avoidance features of FCW, AEB and OAA? If so, those come with autopilot. Not to mention removing the radar meant that anything that can impact the cameras, lessens their effectiveness. Radar did a lot better at judging distances.

As for trying FSD, I did. I wouldn't give them a dime for it. I drove thousands of mile on FSD and AP on the same routes. There is almost nothing FSD offers me over AP that I value. Thank God I only subscribed rather than pissing my money away on it. If it was really a lot of value, you'd see that reflected in the resale value of cars. FSD depreciates faster than a 2021/2022 Plaid.

Not just my opinion but that is what the used car market thinks of it. Not to mention why many here call it "Fool Self Driving". If it could actually be full self driving, with no input, I'd drop the 15k in an instant.

If it works for you, great! Glad it does for some subset of the owners. EAP would get me most of what I would use anyway. It it was $3k, I'd probably drop the money. If I am going to drop 15k, I'll buy the CCB (carbon ceramic brake) kit and get some real value for my money.
Certainly to each their own!

I don't under value FSD, Tesla over priced it...

There is some price point I would buy it, just not 15k. Even more do when it is all "beta". I don't want to be a beta tester with my life. Or my familes. Have you read all of Tesla's disclaimers littered throughout the user manual?

I am a major tech geek and would love nothing more than FSF to work as promised. I just get tired of Elon blowing smoke up my rectum about its capabilities.

I’m always curious to hear what part of FSD that people like when they say it works for them. Often what they describe is just the basic AP functionality. Or there in the FSD beta program. Then you’re handicapped. I’ve been behind a lot of other features that are upgraded other than FSD.

I hope someday we will have a thread about FSD where everybody was is giving glowing reviews how amazing it works. if it works for you, I’m truly happy. At this point, I just rent it for when I might want it on a trip.

Reactions: ks1972 and jebinc
Well I like it for the around town hands-free (except occasional touch) navigation, for the red light functionality, for the obstacle-avoidance functionality, for the auto-lane-change functionality, and more (like keeping you safely driving if you’re struggling to stay awake / nodding off), off the top of my head. Even though it’s in beta it’s better than manual driving for sure; these features set it aside from basic autopilot, IMO.

I think Tesla may have priced FSD beta high to dissuade most consumers from buying it. Most consumers expect a finished, polished product, and would not be happy with FSD in its current state.

Not to mention why many here call it "Fool Self Driving".

I prefer to define FSD as either Beta, or Fully Self Delusional. Because if you research what FSD really is, ie, SAE Level 5, beta is so far away from that you'd really have to be.

BTW, my former company did a fully autonomous airliner, L-1011, FAA approved, before 1980, and capable of landing in Cat III zero/zero conditions.

But it had redundant systems, something Tesla still won't provide.

I'm not anti-autonomous, nor do I think that folks that bought Tesla FSD are foolish. But if you plot FSD progress over the last 3 years, you'd have to admit it does not look encouraging.

I prefer to define FSD as either Beta, or Fully Self Delusional. Because if you research what FSD really is, ie, SAE Level 5, beta is so far away from that you'd really have to be.

BTW, my former company did a fully autonomous airliner, L-1011, FAA approved, before 1980, and capable of landing in Cat III zero/zero conditions.

But it had redundant systems, something Tesla still won't provide.

I'm not anti-autonomous, nor do I think that folks that bought Tesla FSD are foolish. But if you plot FSD progress over the last 3 years, you'd have to admit it does not look encouraging.
Actually, most of the electronics are redundant. Two computers, two sets of power electronics, etc. It seems like there's enough redundancy to safely bring the car to a stop if anything fails.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Well I like it for the around town hands-free (except occasional touch) navigation, for the red light functionality, for the obstacle-avoidance functionality, for the auto-lane-change functionality, and more (like keeping you safely driving if you’re struggling to stay awake / nodding off), off the top of my head. Even though it’s in beta it’s better than manual driving for sure; these features set it aside from basic autopilot, IMO.

I think Tesla may have priced FSD beta high to dissuade most consumers from buying it. Most consumers expect a finished, polished product, and would not be happy with FSD in its current state.
I have thousands of miles on fsd, I can barely think of one drive where it wouldn’t have crashed or damaged my car. It’s awful. , horrible! you have had this success in Florida??? I can’t….. slash wont don’t believe it.
maybe when i get it working again the newer version will be better. That’s been the idea and lies for years already.

Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc