Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice these clips in the rear window speaker grille when the sun hits the rear window JUST right?

Attachments

• CC8DADEB-F9F0-41EB-95B2-BD2DFCD9082F.jpeg
    CC8DADEB-F9F0-41EB-95B2-BD2DFCD9082F.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: impastu
Thanks, I don’t remember seeing the seat belt light staying on but I’ll double check today when I go out. I have documented and sent time stamped times to the support team and my SC. They also believe it is a sensor and I am scheduled to take it in tomorrow morning. It’s funny though different things stay on after I close The drivers door sometimes it’s everything and sometimes it’s just one thing but the tell tale sign is that the second time I close the door after being out of the car it almost always turns everything off which points to a sensor issue in the seat. Has yours been fixed with a new sensor and has it done it again since they fixed it. Thanks
Once they fixed the sensor it was completely gone. I’m not going to lie… it was like taking delivery again when I tested it in the parking lot! Good luck, they’ll find it, fix it and you’ll be as giddy as day 1 when you walk away and put your sunglasses on the second the car locks itself properly. Good luck, buddy!

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Once they fixed the sensor it was completely gone. I’m not going to lie… it was like taking delivery again when I tested it in the parking lot! Good luck, they’ll find it, fix it and you’ll be as giddy as day 1 when you walk away and put your sunglasses on the second the car locks itself properly. Good luck, buddy!
Boy I hope your right. But speaking to them today the sensor is not in yet. Trying to see when it will be. My problem is that lots of different variations happen when I close the drivers door. Sometimes everything stays on and sometimes just a few things stay on. Even if touchscreen and a/c goes off media may stay on and even though door handles retract they don’t lock. Really unpredictable. But like you say, it maybe be all related to the seat sensor. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for your input. Not fun to have problems on a new car.

What are you all seeing for range with the Model S Plaid? I’m seeing pretty terrible range in mine (21” wheels), at least if we go via the battery percentage drop.

e.g. I left the house at 93% (set to 90 but it charged to 93% because….buggy software or whatever). It dropped to 59% as I arrived home (34% used, therefore). After just 69 miles of driving like a grandma! Average over that 69 miles is 305Wh. And only 21kWh used. If 34% battery is 21kWh, the math doesn’t make sense that this is a 100kWh battery… I was parked with sentry on for about 3 hours before coming home.

Thoughts/data, anyone? If we go by kWh used I’m on target for ~340 miles for a full battery. Via the percentage display I’m only on target for a little over 200 miles. Something is not right here…
I encountered exactly the same problem in my new Plaid. I drove 167 miles. The Trips indicated 61 kWh used and 361 wh/mi, which was consistent with the way I was driving based on my P85D experience. However the battery dropped from 97% SOC to 12% SOC! That calculates out to a battery capacity of 72 kWh - obviously wrong.

I also have the issue of the battery overcharging vs. the charging limit. I see it claim charging complete at 80% but 30 minutes later the indicated charge is 85% or 86%. I believe these two issues are related.

The car is currently at the SC. I'll report back when there is some resolution.

I encountered exactly the same problem in my new Plaid. I drove 167 miles. The Trips indicated 61 kWh used and 361 wh/mi, which was consistent with the way I was driving based on my P85D experience. However the battery dropped from 97% SOC to 12% SOC! That calculates out to a battery capacity of 72 kWh - obviously wrong.

I also have the issue of the battery overcharging vs. the charging limit. I see it claim charging complete at 80% but 30 minutes later the indicated charge is 85% or 86%. I believe these two issues are related.

The car is currently at the SC. I'll report back when there is some resolution.

Was coming to report the same thing again tonight. I have the charge set to 80%. And I check now and it’s at 88%. What the heck?! It just jumped 8% for no reason and TeslaMate hasn’t even logged this as charging beyond 80%.

Do let us know what you find out. This car is making me crazy. One issue after another!

Attachments

• DFBE79A7-65C5-4384-9D13-0FF84C118602.jpeg
    DFBE79A7-65C5-4384-9D13-0FF84C118602.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Was coming to report the same thing again tonight. I have the charge set to 80%. And I check now and it’s at 88%. What the heck?! It just jumped 8% for no reason and TeslaMate hasn’t even logged this as charging beyond 80%.

Do let us know what you find out. This car is making me crazy. One issue after another!
Have you reported the two issues with your battery to Tesla? It would be good for them to know that mine is not an isolated problem.

Last edited:
Just charged my 21" Plaid to full to see what's up. It went to 95%.... and then just went straight to 100% without charging anything...! I've apparently lost 10% range given 348 is rated, and 318 is what is reported. No idea if this is a software issue or what's going on. Not to mention my ACTUAL range is close to about 220 miles driving like a grandma.

Attachments

• F0359513-395F-4E52-AD9F-FF91AC9CA2BC.png
    F0359513-395F-4E52-AD9F-FF91AC9CA2BC.png
    363.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I took a trip to the WA coast today - about 135 miles. Mostly highway speeds, ranging from 67-74 mph. Some 35 mph going through Aberdeen, WA (I also took onboard some electrons at the Supercharging station there, just for grins and giggles). Range and efficiency where pretty good. Road noise was lower than expected; must be the 19s and suspension set on the "Comfort" setting. Acceleration was set on "Sport". I also had on the Aero covers. Did about 30-40 on "Navigate on Autopilot" as well. "Trip A" is that trip.

Coast.jpg

FWIW, my P3D has a lifetime 298 Wh/mi.
How is it possible that a Model S Plaid and a Model 3 Performance w/performance package get the same Wh/mi, even temporarily.
The Model S Plaid seems to be amazing in more ways than we think. Seeing the Plaid raised on a hoist I saw the entire underside was quite smooth, like no car I have ever seen. That must substantially contribute to efficiency .

Based on these issues… does anyone have buyer’s remorse? As someone with a pending order, this thread has made me incredibly nervous. I’ve been driving a 3 around recently, and love it. Does this car have more issues than a 3?

Should I … *shudder* order a 3 instead?

Based on these issues… does anyone have buyer’s remorse? As someone with a pending order, this thread has made me incredibly nervous. I’ve been driving a 3 around recently, and love it. Does this car have more issues than a 3?

Should I … *shudder* order a 3 instead?
Not even close to buyer's remorse--car is amazing. Mechanically, mine is solid. There is a bunch of weird little things that I expect to be addressed wiht FW updates over time.