Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a bunch of photos of the car while at the factory (where I picked up my car from) showing the missing bits, then uploaded them to the service appointment I created through the app.

A couple of weeks later, I sent a message to the service center requesting an update on missing parts, stating I really needed the trunk privacy shelf. Once they responded that it had arrived, I stopped by to pick it up. The other bits turned out to be there too, so picked them all up at once.

TL;DR: you have to be proactive with Tesla and keep asking for things.l, unfortunately.
So, when you say be proactive, what number do you call? When I call my local SC, which prompt? Deliveries? Regardless, my experience is the call to my SC hunts to some rep that sometimes will pick up. The rep has never been my Massachusetts SC but Vegas or CA…once Philly. Do they help?

Reactions: impastu
So, when you say be proactive, what number do you call? When I call my local SC, which prompt? Deliveries? Regardless, my experience is the call to my SC hunts to some rep that sometimes will pick up. The rep has never been my Massachusetts SC but Vegas or CA…once Philly. Do they help?
i rarely call anymore , just message through the app - they are usually very quick to respond.

Not sure I understand. If you have calendar sync enabled on the car side and in the app, it just makes all the different calendars that are on your native calendar app on your synced device available in car. At least on the iPhone.
I have it enabled. It syncs my work email which is Microsoft exchange. I won’t sync my g mail and personal Microsoft 365

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and MEL-22
I picked my car up 9/13. The entire mat trunk kit missing. All mats, trunk privacy and trunk covers. They said they had noted it and I’d get them shipped to my house. No one will put it in writing. “We don’t do that”. Absolutely nutty place. 😂 How’d that all go down for you? What did they tell you at pickup? Did they call to have you come in? Its been about 3-4 weeks since you picked up. Did you just wait or call them in between?
Lol. After the intensity of the purchase and delivery dance, the missing mat kit is maddening. Just want the madness to end! 🤪
That said, so far, this is up there with top best purchases of my life. F’ing Elon…

They mentioned that those items where missing before picking up my car. They asked me to make a service request which I did. For some reason those items are only missing on the Plaid's the LR come with them.

This. The lack of refreshed front and tail lights is just weird.
Yeah, the front are lacking to what the competition offers for sure now; like Audi and their awesome laser projector lights. The back are very disappointing as well as I expected they would be the more uniform LED look but they still are the old version where you can see the separate LED bulbs somewhat, etc. I mean, the X has these things (since 2016) so you would think the S would.

Here's my list of defects and glitches at delivery:

Back glass scratched (replacement glass ordered)
Dash grill has a small but visible dent right in the driver's line of site (replacement grill ordered)
Parking / ultrasonic sensors haven't worked since day one (local SC can't fix and problem has been escalated)
Driver's door handle started sticking in "out" position about an hour after delivery (adjusted and fixed by local SC)
Left scroll wheel on yoke squeaks like a mouse when rolling it up or down (waiting to see if it gets better with use)
Screens freeze and reboot when trying to open the owner's manual
Clear coat on leading edge of front fenders is noticeably sagging (will have it wet sanded shortly when paint is corrected and coated)
Rattle from outside of car on driver's side very noticeable, but only with window down
Rear door panels do not line up properly with other interior when closed, but honestly isn't very noticeable during normal use
GUI has obvious things missing or not 100% implemented but looks and works very well overall
I’ve been hearing the same rattle near the drivers side front wheel, particularly when driving 25-40 mph on city roads. It sounds like a loose/defective steering/suspension component.

Yeah, the front are lacking to what the competition offers for sure now; like Audi and their awesome laser projector lights. The back are very disappointing as well as I expected they would be the more uniform LED look but they still are the old version where you can see the separate LED bulbs somewhat, etc. I mean, the X has these things (since 2016) so you would think the S would.
Updating the lights, even within the same shapes --serves three purposes:
1) dramatically improve safety (front lights), as the current lights are poor
2) help FSD see more at night, now that it's vision-only (!!)
3) allow the car to look a bit special / more modern -- especially from the rear, which is the Model S's weakest angle by far, in my opinion

Here's my list of defects and glitches at delivery:

Back glass scratched (replacement glass ordered)
Dash grill has a small but visible dent right in the driver's line of site (replacement grill ordered)
Parking / ultrasonic sensors haven't worked since day one (local SC can't fix and problem has been escalated)
Driver's door handle started sticking in "out" position about an hour after delivery (adjusted and fixed by local SC)
Left scroll wheel on yoke squeaks like a mouse when rolling it up or down (waiting to see if it gets better with use)
Screens freeze and reboot when trying to open the owner's manual
Clear coat on leading edge of front fenders is noticeably sagging (will have it wet sanded shortly when paint is corrected and coated)
Rattle from outside of car on driver's side very noticeable, but only with window down
Rear door panels do not line up properly with other interior when closed, but honestly isn't very noticeable during normal use
GUI has obvious things missing or not 100% implemented but looks and works very well overall
I’ve been noticing that same rattle. It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side wheel/suspension area. Mostly while driving 20-40mph on bumpy city roads.

Do you have any further insight on that issue?

Has anyone had an issue with a very distinct rattle coming from outside or underneath the car? I have a rattle that is very obvious with the driver’s window down, but can’t really be heard with all the windows up.

It does it when hitting small bumps or larger, not on a perfectly smooth road. And sounds like it’s underneath the car or maybe in the front suspension? Does not appear to be coming from the door or window itself.

Also sounds like it’s a rattle created from small metal pieces and not plastic, and not something big or heavy, if that makes sense? But I’m unable to locate the source so far. And my local SC didn’t hear the rattle at all last time I took it in, they missed the whole part about “I only hear it when the window is down.” I think they were busy just enjoying driving my Plaid around with the windows up.. lol

I’m having the exact same issue. It does sound like it’s coming from the front drivers side suspension area underneath the car. The rattle is more noticeable at lower speeds.

A potentially related issue: I also hear metal rubbing together in the drivers front suspension when the vehicle is stationary and i turn the steering wheel.

This weekend the sliding top to center console stoped staying open and second stop at cup holder stopped working. Hard to have a something in cup holder as it closes when cup removed. One good thing is when it broke the light in center console now turns off. Before it was always on.
Service center is 2 hours away. I have been able to repair trim, seals and other things myself.
Anyone else had this problem come up and figure out the repair?
Same stopped staying open first day

Went by White Plains SC this morning to check on our X. Plaid in the parking lot for repair looks like a disaster. Bunch of parts stuffed inside on the cream interior. Ugh.

Attachments

• 10E896CD-64B0-474D-A048-CC3C6BBDAA2C.jpeg
    10E896CD-64B0-474D-A048-CC3C6BBDAA2C.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 13AA2938-A5C7-4A07-98AA-BED6888511DD.jpeg
    13AA2938-A5C7-4A07-98AA-BED6888511DD.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 073D8276-A03E-48EF-AD6A-FF1B2163C100.jpeg
    073D8276-A03E-48EF-AD6A-FF1B2163C100.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 0E724DFC-892F-49B6-8515-E559C5B2662D.jpeg
    0E724DFC-892F-49B6-8515-E559C5B2662D.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2481F922-84A3-4D97-A9EA-B6C3628667E3.jpeg
    2481F922-84A3-4D97-A9EA-B6C3628667E3.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 996643A1-F5CB-4354-B995-B81CC0CE66BA.jpeg
    996643A1-F5CB-4354-B995-B81CC0CE66BA.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 72
  • B66DAA24-F0AF-44B1-AC6D-26D0B525900C.jpeg
    B66DAA24-F0AF-44B1-AC6D-26D0B525900C.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 97AF1CD6-8C56-46F4-8E2B-F9E2729E0239.jpeg
    97AF1CD6-8C56-46F4-8E2B-F9E2729E0239.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 75
Can you not go into the Calendar app on the center screen and there is an icon to adjust the calendars you want to sync? Believe the icon looked like two or three levers to “configure”. Looking through the manual, it does not say how to select the calendars you want. But I do not recall if the old manual said it either.

If not, it is just another setting missing from the refresh. As someone who has a lot of calendars I subscribe to, I definitely do not want all of those syncing. Useless.
No. It seems the only control over calendar is in the app.

Seems like there are less and less issues being reported each day, as the vin sequence advances to 446+ What difference 5000 cars makes, when it comes to build quality....

As it should be. But Tesla needs to get the quality escapes contained within the first few hundred then scrap, allocate to demos, auction off, or convert to fleet cars.

And when they ship short, there should be a nice note apologizing for the inconvenience, explaining when and how it will get rectified, and including a small gift as a token appeasement.

End customers should not have to participate in their teething pains nor be left wondering how shortages will be addressed.

Figured I'd post this here. I've had my Plaid for a little over a week now. Went to my father's house to show him the car. Then watched the football game and went to leave and the car wouldn't go into gear, forward or reverse. Tried various troubleshooting with no change.

Called Tesla roadside and he said on his end he couldn't see anything wrong, so I had to have it towed to my nearest service center.

I reset the vehicle, tried phone as key, tried key card and even tried remote driving via the app. Even the gear selector at the base of the wireless charger and it wouldn't respond.

Anyone ever get stranded this way?

Figured I'd post this here. I've had my Plaid for a little over a week now. Went to my father's house to show him the car. Then watched the football game and went to leave and the car wouldn't go into gear, forward or reverse. Tried various troubleshooting with no change.

Called Tesla roadside and he said on his end he couldn't see anything wrong, so I had to have it towed to my nearest service center.

I reset the vehicle, tried phone as key, tried key card and even tried remote driving via the app. Even the gear selector at the base of the wireless charger and it wouldn't respond.

Anyone ever get stranded this way?
Yes in my X on Saturday. Bricked. Car rendering froze with driver door open. Resets didn’t work. I think pulling the USB out after a failed software upgrade glitched the system. Roadside towed to SC, which is closed on Sunday. I drove by yesterday to check on it and it was back to normal and drove in parking lot no problem. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I left it there to insist that SC push OS update to get me off of 2021.24.5

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc