Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else find the key cards to be hit or miss in terms of unlocking the car this way? Compared to the Model 3 which worked every time, I’m finding the key cards to be really troublesome in their ability to unlock/lock the car.
@WilliamG Unlike the 3, as you probably know, the credit card key must be placed on the driver's side charging pad only, whereas in the 3, the location was flat on the console, next to the cubby.

Couple new issues noticed:
- Whistling sound from AC when fan speed set to 6 or higher.
- Also AC doesn’t seem to cool as well when car is parked, blows non-cooled air (this is common in ICE cars, but hasn’t been an issue with my old Model X).
- Phone app doesn’t seem to want to connect to the car when car is asleep (just shows “Waking up” with spinning circle). I have to walk over to the car to wake it with the key before the app will connect and update car’s status.

This guy [edit: @MrExitStrategy] reported whistling AC as well:

Last edited:
Reactions: MrExitStrategy
@WilliamG Unlike the 3, as you probably know, the credit card key must be placed on the driver's side charging pad only, whereas in the 3, the location was flat on the console, next to the cubby.
I think @WilliamG was referring to unlocking the car by swiping on the B pillar, not trying to start the car.

We used the fobs on day one and have used Phone as Key since then so we haven't even tried using our key cards to unlock the car yet.

Reactions: Ramphex and cwanja
I think @WilliamG was referring to unlocking the car by swiping on the B pillar, not trying to start the car.

We used the fobs on day one and have used Phone as Key since then so we haven't even tried using our key cards to unlock the car yet.

Yeah just the B pillar swiping is not consistent.

And today’s update: just had to drop my car off at Tesla for the entire day for the borked software. Awesome. Really loving this 6-figure experience… and this is just part 1! Next week for the windshield replacement/speaker grill (dent) replacement.

Just waiting for my rental. Sigh.

Attachments

• 3B7C13D6-389C-4ABC-9E0B-967A7564A512.jpeg
    3B7C13D6-389C-4ABC-9E0B-967A7564A512.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Ramphex
This guy [edit: @MrExitStrategy] reported whistling AC as well:
Yeah, when I watched that video earlier I suspected the whistling is occuring because the AC blower is pushing too much through just the driver side zone, as the front passenger zone and rear zones are turned off by default when no one is sitting in those seats. So unless / until Tesla pushes out an update that automatically turns on the front passenger zone when driving the car, the only remedy I've seen is to clip the front passenger seatbelt (or use a dummy seatbelt clip from eBay).

Yeah, when I watched that video earlier I suspected the whistling is occuring because the AC blower is pushing too much through just the driver side zone, as the front passenger zone and rear zones are turned off by default when no one is sitting in those seats. So unless / until Tesla pushes out an update that automatically turns on the front passenger zone when driving the car, the only remedy I've seen is to clip the front passenger seatbelt (or use a dummy seatbelt clip from eBay).
That’s weird. I could have sworn my car didn’t work that way. The passenger vent is on even when nobody is sitting there. The rear isn’t, of course.

Reactions: impastu
@cwanja Yes, same as the 3 / Y.
That is foreign to me, only owned an S. Will go look at some videos though, thanks!
So the only difference here is that the refreshed Model S has a vent both above and below the instrument cluster. The Y and 3 only have a single vent. So splitting it "vertically" is still different in the refreshed Model S no?

Apologies for taking this thread way off topic.

@WilliamG Not here. My passenger vent is always off when driving alone, unless I manually turn it on. Tesla says this is an energy saving feature, and is "by design".
Yeah, that’s why some people are not only complaining about that whistling noise, but also how the new AC feels underpowered in very hot climates. By clipping the front passenger seatbelt / use a dummy seatbelt clip from eBay, it solves both issues unless / until Tesla allows us to turn off that “energy saving feature”. For me, I always want the entire front zone air conditioned in my cars. Why stop now?

Yeah, that’s why some people are not only complaining about that whistling noise, but also how the new AC feels underpowered in very hot climates. By clipping the front passenger seatbelt / use a dummy seatbelt clip from eBay, it solves both issues unless / until Tesla allows us to turn off that “energy saving feature”.
I think the ac is provided by a 4/5 ton heat pump, IIRC. My house is heated and cooled with a heat pump that is rated at 5 tons! There shouldn’t be a cooling problem, by design