Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What versions are we all on? I haven’t gotten one update since I picked up my car! Literally unusable.

Samesies. 2021.12.4.9 for a month (on Wednesday). Also, I think I have the worst reported battery health of any Plaid, at 295 miles rated full charge on 21s. Just awful.

Attachments

• BB8FD7A7-8942-46C4-8AE9-A75DDC2AADEE_1_201_a.jpeg
    BB8FD7A7-8942-46C4-8AE9-A75DDC2AADEE_1_201_a.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,210
Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
My Plaid was delivered last Friday with 2021.11.102 (which seems a little odd) and hasn't seen an update since.

I haven't had an issue in the short amount of time I've had the car, except I can't figure out how to reset trip meters..

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to reset them??

So they have advertised the following features as coming with the vehicle but there are no signs of them:

Tilting screen
Heated windshield
SiriusXM
Active noise cancellation (allegedly coming with a software update.)
Bluetooth for backseat infotainment (allegedly coming with a software update.)

How long are they going to get away with this nonsense?
Until some group takes them to court?

I am simply angry now. They just told me they will keep the car until September 7th... That means the car will be there for 3 weeks :mad:

Car is in the body shop for a week already and just moving out and in twice a day.

I can't express my feelings about tesla and customer service... I don't understand why they need to keep the car and not doing anything with it... :mad:
I told them to release the car and I'll go to a different tesla location.

I seriously doubt they will agree to cover my monthly payment for keeping the car. Will see what they are going to say
Lemon Law at a month?

Ugh. Was doing a charge from 19% to 90 to see if this helps my serious range degradation. I just woke up (near 4am - charge should have been done about 1am) - noticed the car was sorta/kinda still charging on and off in the garage. Was like what the heck?

It had stopped at around 83% and was turning on and off and on and off for hours based on my camera in the garage. I could hear the click of the charger over and over and over every few seconds, and the beeping inside the car. Turns out it’s this error attached which:

1.) I can’t find anywhere with a search.
2.) Means I’m at my wits’ end.

Now, I’ve been charging my Model 3P for near 2.5 years on this wall charger. Seems awfully unlikely it has a problem right after I get the S…

Also, just now - after watching what was going on in the app (after I manually stopped the charging at 83%) I watched in the app and at the car over the last 15 minutes the charge kept creeping up until it went to 100%. So now the car is actually sitting at 100%! I’ve never seen anything like this!

What do people think? Serious pack imbalance? I’m really nervous about this as an overcharge situation would be very, very bad.

Attachments

• 505CCBB9-71F3-4602-A05E-6842498208D9.jpeg
    505CCBB9-71F3-4602-A05E-6842498208D9.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 74
  • C520F5F9-4076-4C8F-B60F-1FCB01BC43BD.jpeg
    C520F5F9-4076-4C8F-B60F-1FCB01BC43BD.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 63
To follow up, even TeslaMate hasn’t recorded yet this 16% range weirdness (jumping to 100% from 84%). Also, interestingly - this 16% jump is about what I’m missing in actual range.

*edit* - it just jumped to 100% finally in TeslaMate (car still unplugged), reflecting a 309 mile possible range. So there’s my ~15% range loss - something is very wrong with this car. Will probably push for a new battery unless there’s a good explanation for this.

Attachments

• 4132DEEF-734C-47B3-8D22-5C74AE9E42D6.jpeg
    4132DEEF-734C-47B3-8D22-5C74AE9E42D6.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 67
  • C882844C-B279-4F2A-B378-2E9832CC0C4E.jpeg
    C882844C-B279-4F2A-B378-2E9832CC0C4E.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
To follow up, even TeslaMate hasn’t recorded yet this 16% range weirdness (jumping to 100% from 84%). Also, interestingly - this 16% jump is about what I’m missing in actual range.

*edit* - it just jumped to 100% finally in TeslaMate (car still unplugged), reflecting a 309 mile possible range. So there’s my ~15% range loss - something is very wrong with this car. Will probably push for a new battery unless there’s a good explanation for this.
Sorry about your Battery problems. One thing you could try before adressing it is as follow:

Drive the car down to lesss then 20% SOC then try the same routine at a V3 Supercharger charge it to 100% and record the behavior best on a camera lol. One thing you need to exclude is your Homecharger so at least you have 2 data points which you could then use against the Tesla SC.

Good Luck mate

Samesies. 2021.12.4.9 for a month (on Wednesday). Also, I think I have the worst reported battery health of any Plaid, at 295 miles rated full charge on 21s. Just awful.
That does sound rather low. Ours has 21" Arachnids as well and we charged ours to 100% last week. It kept going back and forth between 350 and 351. We finally stopped charging with "30 minutes remaining" but it might've reached a solid 351 if we'd let it finish.

We use the same gen 2 wall connector that we've used for the past 3 years and no problems like you've mentioned. I remember back in 2016 when the refreshed S came out with 48/72 amp chargers there were some issues with some existing wall connectors but I haven't heard of any similar issues with the 2021 refresh.

Weighing in here a bit. I haven't seen anyone with this issue but thought I'd share in case anyone else encounters this issue.

My car was delivered at the end of June. Everything was working great until mid-July. The main screen simply wouldn't load about 85% of the time. You can see the backlight coming on, and then turning off, indicating to me that the screen is indeed trying to reboot, but simply cannot.

I took my car in a couple of weeks ago for a window trim rupture repair that came like that from the factory. I mentioned the screen issue to them then. The SC did a 12V reset on the car and the screen was happy for a few hours. After that, right back to the same issue. I requested service AGAIN, and can only get into the SC in early October.

Fast-forward to last Saturday. I start getting text messages from a random customer service rep at Tesla asking me for timestamps on when the failures were occurring. I obliged and sent several photos showing the clock and the dead screen over various periods of the day(s).

I can tell they did something to my car because the screen miraculously worked for close to ten hours yesterday. (yes. I love going to my garage twenty times a day to check on a fxxcing screen) Woke up today and the screen was down again. I drove my son to school this morning and performed the scroll wheel reboot. Screen came back on about two minutes later. It has held for several hours, but I expect it to fail again at any point.

I am thinking of opening a case with the NHTSB as this is clearly a safety issue as well. (no backup cameras, etc) I also have to keep my insurance, etc in the middle console in the case that if I were to get pulled over I would not be able to open the glove box.

I still don't have my plates as well since Tesla "couldn't" send my paperwork for almost a month after delivery.

This entire experience has left me VERY salty with Tesla. From the delays, license plate issues, and now the screen, I am starting to contemplate dumping the car altogether and going back to an ICE vehicle until the competition has caught up.

This is absurd for a $90K vehicle.

Weighing in here a bit. I haven't seen anyone with this issue but thought I'd share in case anyone else encounters this issue.

My car was delivered at the end of June. Everything was working great until mid-July. The main screen simply wouldn't load about 85% of the time. You can see the backlight coming on, and then turning off, indicating to me that the screen is indeed trying to reboot, but simply cannot.

I took my car in a couple of weeks ago for a window trim rupture repair that came like that from the factory. I mentioned the screen issue to them then. The SC did a 12V reset on the car and the screen was happy for a few hours. After that, right back to the same issue. I requested service AGAIN, and can only get into the SC in early October.

Fast-forward to last Saturday. I start getting text messages from a random customer service rep at Tesla asking me for timestamps on when the failures were occurring. I obliged and sent several photos showing the clock and the dead screen over various periods of the day(s).

I can tell they did something to my car because the screen miraculously worked for close to ten hours yesterday. (yes. I love going to my garage twenty times a day to check on a fxxcing screen) Woke up today and the screen was down again. I drove my son to school this morning and performed the scroll wheel reboot. Screen came back on about two minutes later. It has held for several hours, but I expect it to fail again at any point.

I am thinking of opening a case with the NHTSB as this is clearly a safety issue as well. (no backup cameras, etc) I also have to keep my insurance, etc in the middle console in the case that if I were to get pulled over I would not be able to open the glove box.

I still don't have my plates as well since Tesla "couldn't" send my paperwork for almost a month after delivery.

This entire experience has left me VERY salty with Tesla. From the delays, license plate issues, and now the screen, I am starting to contemplate dumping the car altogether and going back to an ICE vehicle until the competition has caught up.

This is absurd for a $90K vehicle.

$90k? Think of the rest of us who spent $165k with taxes on Plaids. It's pretty appalling. Sorry for the issue, but yeah that is not acceptable.

That does sound rather low. Ours has 21" Arachnids as well and we charged ours to 100% last week. It kept going back and forth between 350 and 351. We finally stopped charging with "30 minutes remaining" but it might've reached a solid 351 if we'd let it finish.

We use the same gen 2 wall connector that we've used for the past 3 years and no problems like you've mentioned. I remember back in 2016 when the refreshed S came out with 48/72 amp chargers there were some issues with some existing wall connectors but I haven't heard of any similar issues with the 2021 refresh.

My issue is clearly not the wall connector. It's like the car doesn't realize it's at 100% when it is, and is misreporting some data but not others, so the charger is shutting off correctly but the car doesn't think it's correct. Watching your car go from 84% to 100% while not charging over the course of 15 minutes is some weird stuff, let me tell you.

I've now spoken to Tesla again, and they've gotten loads of proof from me - pictures, videos etc etc - so they should be able to figure something out.

Wow, still waiting on delivery but thought I'd check out this thread. All you guys are scaring me now as thinking I'm likely about to be picking up a POS car ;-) with tons of issues. Surely not but sheesh!
From someone who literally has an undrivable new S and been in a crappy 2017 Model X loaner on and off for the last month, I would wait for them to get this car in order.