Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And “crickets….”
The car has been at a detail shop getting PPF and ceramic coat since the day I got it back from service. I pick it up tomorrow. You can't change the range display from % to miles remotely, only when in the car.

BTW, most people would allow a fellow forum member more than 52 minutes to respond to a post before criticizing...

Here are my two issues so far:

Squeaky sides of the console:

Charge port not opening with HPWC:

This product was recommended years ago for Model S interior squeaks… here on TMC.​

I purchased it, but never tried it as SC solved my issue.​

search on TMC for​

“Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease”​

Amazon link:

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/

This product was recommended years ago for Model S interior squeaks… here on TMC.

search on TMC for

Amazon link:

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248) Amazon.com

The problem is the side panels are sticking out and not flush / attached at the top. They have about 1/4 of an inch wiggle room at the top on both sides

Reactions: impastu

This product was recommended years ago for Model S interior squeaks… here on TMC.​

search on TMC for​

Amazon link:

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDAL...abc_0HKNF9P753Z2P3GC7JXG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Definitely a Service Center issue on yours. As was mine, years ago. Just thought I’d revive a potentially useful remedy of days gone by for those with interior squeaks…

I’ve had my 430 plaid for two weeks now. So far only manufacturing issue I’ve seen is the rubber sealant around front passenger door. If I don’t give it a firm close it won’t close completely. I’ve come out in the morning twice and noticed door slightly ajar.
This was an issue early on on my first Model S (2017). Service center said that the seals are stiff when they are new and eventually soften up. Also that the car is so sealed that often the internal pressure prevents the door from closing , Again when the door seals are new and stiff. You can easily confirm this by opening the opposite door or a window to test the validity of that theory. Proven to be true when tested back then.. As predicted, the situation did eventually resolve over time as the seals softened.
Short term solution was to slam the door hard. A difficult habit to maintain.
Really wish they had soft close doors on the new Model S or even better self-closing doors like the Model X.

Last edited:
This was an issue early on on my first Model S (2017). Service center said that the seals are stiff when they are new and eventually soften up. Also that the car is so sealed that often the internal pressure prevents the door from closing , Again when the door seals are new and stiff. You can easily confirm this by opening the opposite door or a window to test the validity of that theory. Proven to be true when tested back then.. As predicted, the situation did eventually resolve over time as the seals softened.
Short term solution was to slam the door hard. A difficult habit to maintain.
Really wish they had soft close doors on the new Model S or even better self-closing doors like the Model X.
love the self-closing doors on our X. Will miss them on the S

See this thread:

It appears that it is only showing up for those in the Early Access Program (EAP).
What is the EAP? I never heard of it?

You can actually get a retrofit for soft closing doors on the prior S: Model S Soft Closing Doors - EVOffer (Tesla Offer) (they haven’t come out with a new kit for the refresh, as I think they are based in Asia). Will likely consider getting it once it is released. I got the automatic opening & closing frunk on my X from them and it works great. I’ve left the S doors ajar a few times since I’ve been so used to the self closing doors on the X.

What is the EAP? I never heard of it?
Early Access Program

“Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.”

I’ll report back — I think they ordered a replacement and maybe don’t realize it may have the same issue. Also fixing some panel gaps and whatnot (I posted a separate thread on that).
Service center was supposed to fix panel gaps and the airbag lines update:

1. They "fixed" the panel gaps on the top part of the rear hatch but that created gaps on the bottom part of the hatch instead. They are sending mobile to take a look. Not very confident here.
2. Airbag was deemed to spec because the lines were on another model s they had at the service center as well.
3. They did a pretty poor job of fixing an interior alignment issue on the trim, but it is a little better than before.

Car drives and feels amazing, but for the cost the build quality from the factory remains an issue and then the service center experience is equally as poor.

Service center was supposed to fix panel gaps and the airbag lines update:

1. They "fixed" the panel gaps on the top part of the rear hatch but that created gaps on the bottom part of the hatch instead. They are sending mobile to take a look. Not very confident here.
2. Airbag was deemed to spec because the lines were on another model s they had at the service center as well.
3. They did a pretty poor job of fixing an interior alignment issue on the trim, but it is a little better than before.

Car drives and feels amazing, but for the cost the build quality from the factory remains an issue and then the service center experience is equally as poor.
Don't be shy about requesting (insisting) the interior and exterior alignment be addressed by a 3rd party Tesla-certified body shop. This is what did the trick for our X trunk alignment issues.

Reactions: Wolfsbane